SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
I’m Trying to purchase a subwoofer with the correct ohms.

I’ve watched a ton of videos and haven’t stumbled across one that answers, or has allowed me to understand matching an amp to a sub.
I have a (R.F. p10001bd) amp
600rms x 1 @2ohms~ 1000 @ 1 ohms

I found a good deal online ($279) for
RF T1D212 dual 2 ohm Sub, 1 or 4ohm imp
Or..
RF T1D412 - Dual 4 ohm sub, 2 or 8 ohm imp. Both 479$ at crutchfield

I don’t mind spending a bit more, I guess 600 is about my budget If someone that really knows car audio has a better suggestion.

-20 Honda Civic si
-radio 450w (peak?)
-Jl speaker upgrades
- 4 - 6.5s and 4tweeters
-For now a sealed box 1.2-1.5cf gross-(sorry)
-Dynamat for doors and trunk
-As a fall project I plan on making a custom enclosure for the wheel well..
here’s a link to one of the speakers

https://www.speedsound.com/rockford-fosgate-t1d412-t1-power-12-subwoofer-4-ohm-dvc.html
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
If I understand all this correctly...

You need a value or measurement for the *total* resistance of the speaker(s) that you're trying to power with your amp. If it's just one; the resistance (Ohms) is pretty straight forward. If more than one (or a dual coil speaker); they can be wired together in a couple of different ways that will change that final measurement. Basically... you want to know what a meter would read at the point where the speaker's wires connect to the amp; regardless of how many speakers and how they are wired. That's the total impedance/load/resistance/Ohms number.

The amp also has an Ohms rating at which is its limit. But that number is a little confusing as it goes backwards. In a perfect world... you'd match the numbers up between the speaker and the amp. But often you have a mismatch between the two. The rule is that you always want the Ohms of the speaker to be equal to or *higher* than the amp's output. Running too low of a load/resistance (Ohms) can and will damage the amp.

So... a 4 Ohm amp output needs to see a 4 Ohm or higher speaker resistance. A 2 Ohm stable amp's output needs a 2 Ohm or higher and so on. Having a higher 'load' on the amp will make it less efficient; but it will not overheat as it would with a lower load.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I think you are fine with any combination of subwoofer to that amp because it can do 1, 2 and 4 Ohms. How much bass do you really want. I would get the T1D212 if you want to run it at 1 ohm but if you dont i would get a different sub because the P1000-1bd is only rated at 250 watt @ 4 ohm and 500 watts for 2 ohm. Normally I would say why spend that much money for a 800 watt sub when you only have 500 watts at 2 ohm but wow 280 for the T1D212 is a huge discount, is that site legit?

Also you need to wire Dual Voice Coils correctly
https://www.kicker.com/app/misc/support/wiring_diagrams/images/single-woofer-dvc.jpg
Sponsored