Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Hi guys, well after 40,000 total miles on my '19 si, (tuned at 38k tsp stage 1) the clutch is finally leaving the chat. I decided to go with the ACT organic sprung clutch kit. I mean its not blown but it definitely slips now in 3rd at about 3500rpm at like 30ish mph and 4th too in the 24psi boost setting.

Well, the next thing that worries me is headstuds, I know I've discussed it before, but now I'm extra worried in the sense of "what's gonna break next" . Would you guys say I should panic order some studs right now, or wait on it? I kinda knew this was gonna be a vicious cycle of buying parts after I tuned it lol.

Thanks
-Spence
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ā€œThatā€™s what old [clutchā€™s] do. They die.ā€ - someone in a movie once. šŸ˜„

Sounds like youā€™re speaking about head lift, yeah? According to reputable tuners, thereā€™s no real predictor of head lift (short of 350hp on a stock block). If youā€™re near OEM power levels, or even a tad higher from a Ktuner or TSP tune, you should be fine.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
ā€œThatā€™s what old [clutchā€™s] do. They die.ā€ - someone in a movie once. šŸ˜„

Sounds like youā€™re speaking about head lift, yeah? According to reputable tuners, thereā€™s no real predictor of head lift (short of 350hp on a stock block). If youā€™re near OEM power levels, or even a tad higher from a Ktuner or TSP tune, you should be fine.
Thanks man

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I was tuned on flex fuel for a couple years before doing studs. Stage 1 shouldn't be a problem to continue to run stock head bolts.

Stage 1 is a lot of fun after you replace the clutch. Stay on stage 1 and enjoy the car for some cheap fun.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
I was tuned on flex fuel for a couple years before doing studs. Stage 1 shouldn't be a problem to continue to run stock head bolts.

Stage 1 is a lot of fun after you replace the clutch. Stay on stage 1 and enjoy the car for some cheap fun.
Thanks, gonna be a bit of a pig to install that clutch, luckily I can do it at work and cut out that $1000 or so in labor. Never done a car clutch before, but hoping I can do it in a day. Great opportunity to learn and kinda flex at my shop, maybe people will take me even more seriously lol, gonna only ask for two tools I know I don't have, and ask for help if I really need it.

I plan to exclusively stay stage one tsp, not going any higher for a daily.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
A single day, even with a lift is ambitious. I just change mine on the garage floor, and usually start on a Friday evening to dig it out and a Saturday morning to reinstall. I'm experienced at it and have it down since I have been breaking gears and all. Best plan for 2 days. Did you get the lightened flywheel with the clutch? Just wondering how you intend to freshen up the dual mass flywheel since I don't think they can be machined, or that only some shops can machine them. Might want to check that out as you prepare, or at least figure out how to restore the flywheel surface before you put the new clutch in. I went with an aluminum flywheel and replaceable steel inserts. Pretty slick and very light. What a difference in throttle response.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things went.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
A single day, even with a lift is ambitious. I just change mine on the garage floor, and usually start on a Friday evening to dig it out and a Saturday morning to reinstall. I'm experienced at it and have it down since I have been breaking gears and all. Best plan for 2 days. Did you get the lightened flywheel with the clutch? Just wondering how you intend to freshen up the dual mass flywheel since I don't think they can be machined, or that only some shops can machine them. Might want to check that out as you prepare, or at least figure out how to restore the flywheel surface before you put the new clutch in. I went with an aluminum flywheel and replaceable steel inserts. Pretty slick and very light. What a difference in throttle response.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things went.
I opted for the full clutch kit flywheel and everything from ACT, knowing the dual mass flywheels are responsible for part of the rev hang (even with it off, its still noticeable), and also I didn't wanna mess with having to machine them as that would take away time, as well as some shops don't want to machine them.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Good deal. You'll like the lighter flywheel. Takes a little time to get used to it. Might have to rev it up more or slip the clutch a little to get it going so you don't stall. Pretty easy with the organic disc. I opted for a ceramic disc and it's a bit of a bitch to get going with the chatter. I have to either rev it up for an aggressive start, or slip at low RPM and deal with a little chatter. Nobody likes to drive my car like this, and the Hasport motor mounts make the chatter that much worse. But, when I launch the car, it all makes sense. The car is much happier to drive aggressively. That's how I explain it to my wife, who hates what I've done to the car. Women!
Sponsored