Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious what was the boost you were running on your ecu tune?
Remember though, when he actually threw the rod he said he was only doing 2800 rpm so I doubt high boost was involved. The question here is more about what happened prior. Was it the dyno runs or something else?
Sponsored

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Excellent, I also love to hear happy endings, and claims not being denied because of one having a tune
Glad to hear this as well.

Still doesn't tell us what happened. Bad injector? Symptoms?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad to hear this as well.

Still doesn't tell us what happened. Bad injector? Symptoms?
Pretty sure he was talking about my happy ending.....oof that sounds awful #Dirtyminds.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Pretty sure he was talking about my happy ending.....oof that sounds awful #Dirtyminds.
Oh God no, not that kind of happy ending! I meant the "good" happy ending....never mind forget what I just said :eek:

baker67

First Name
Benoit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Literally i Had my coworker in the car with me and was on the way to get lunch and i turn right onto the next road before i get to my location as i shifted from 2nd to 3rd i was accelerating normally and lightly and my coworker can attest to that as well i was only at 2800 rpms when it blew i was at about 28 mph when it happened and increasing my speed to get to 35. Literally driving like a grandma as it’s been a stressful day at work as it was already so i was trying to take my time with my lunch break. Engine felt fine running it earlier when i took my other coworker to an appointment. No fowl play at all I’ve owned nothing but manual cars so i know how to shift i wasn’t born yesterday. I’ve owned plenty of turbo charged cars as well and only was running stage 2 tune from MAP with their intake and downpipe. One other mod is the PRL intercooler but i don’t see that doing harm. I always only ran premium gas from shell. I don’t have any datalogs unfortunately. It’s my daily driver and i don’t mistreat it at all as i was hoping i wouldn’t run into this issue this soon i literally just hit 10k miles and have had the tune and parts on for about 10 months now and from the jump i noticed the famous loud injector ticks and the ac unit sucking out power when it’s on and makes the engine run rough. So I don’t know what to tell y’all. I had no tweaks to the tune at all and i heard about the anti lag feature and made sure i didn’t have that turned on. I’m not a noob by any means but I’m not a pro either when it comes to tuning cars.
I just want to wish you good luck with your warranty bud, my dealer knows every mod I have on my Type R because I have them do my oil changes since I already paid for it when I purchased the warranty extension and I also got them to change my transmission oil for Amsoil synchromesh trans oil so since i’ve been honest with them and as long as I don’t go anywhere else they told me not to worry if anything happens,
Dealer’s Are there to make money and I don’t think that it’s a good thing for them to turn you down but it’s not like in the 70’s when you could say anything trying to justify they had to believe what you said, today if you don’t tell the truth they will find out anyway just by plugging to the ECU.
I would have an honest talk with them Before they plug the Honda computer to your car because after the data codes are in with your serial number there’s nothing they can do to help you!!!
Good Luck

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Dealer’s Are there to make money and I don’t think that it’s a good thing for them to turn you down.
The problem is that engine replacements get escalated above the dealership. It is Honda that decides if they will cover an engine replacement under warranty or not.

john21031

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Country flag
Changing the parameters of combustion process leads to excessive stress on bearing, piston rings and the piston itself. This leads to a sudden mechanical failure and results in severe engine damage...

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Changing the parameters of combustion process leads to excessive stress on bearing, piston rings and the piston itself. This leads to a sudden mechanical failure and results in severe engine damage...
Yes. Which these engines handle in spades usually. This is a uniquely catastrophic case for seemingly not much reason. At least not an obvious reason. He had quality parts. Claims little to no abuse and just happened while driving normal. Has everyone scratching their head.

We may never know

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Changing the parameters of the combustion process is part of Honda's DNA. Tuners and Hondas are like peas and carrots

schrisi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Si
Country flag
Here's the problem I have and OP please take this as intended.

I look at the damage and think how could that happen with a relatively mildly tuned car? And I understand there can be a million possible scenarios. People have suggested the only way that happened at 2800 rpm could only be from prior abuse. Yet the OP says there was no abuse. Just a couple of dyno runs.

We also know there were some bolt ons here but no datalogs to see how things were looking to maybe nip any problems in the bud beforehand.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying is we may never get the precise reason for the failure. And I think that means those of us that are tuned need to make a decision as to the safety of our tuned cars.

Personally, I still feel confident with my tune and the way I drive with it. And I still have a hard time fathoming something like this was caused specifically by the tune with no other additional factors.

Still though, those pics make me sick to my stomach and I'm sorry this happened to the OP.
If he had checked logs often, what parameters being abnormal would indicate a bent engine rod? Or any other common engine issues?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If he had checked logs often, what parameters being abnormal would indicate a bent engine rod? Or any other common engine issues?
Abnormal knock control, excessive misfires, strange fuel trims, high knock counts, sporadic afr values etc.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that ties into my ranting of knowing your car and the values it needs at all stages especially to baseline it. If he had a baseline set of values to compare anything to, you will see odd variances that indicate issues.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
My first thought was most people would immediately call a tow truck and have the car taken to the dealer if the car died under warranty. I think the dealer/Honda would be suspicious getting the car all cleaned up in the engine bay as well.
I wish the OP good luck though.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Abnormal knock control, excessive misfires, strange fuel trims, high knock counts, sporadic afr values etc.
Also just to share info: possible higher timing advance numbers at base idle (to help stabilize an unstable idle). The computer significantly uses ignition lead to act as an idle control for these cars.

TornadoredGen3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy-T, Jetta Tsi, SI,A5
Country flag
Now let's be fair here. I've been here from just about the beginning and seen it all. If you're implying these blown engines relate to direct injection, I've seen nothing to indicate that. And I've yet to see a blown engine that wasn't abused in some way
This particular thread is interesting because the OP claims there was absolutely no abuse, just normal driving, so the results here will be worth monitoring. Was it the tune or some engine fault? Time will tell.
@ frontlinegeek
Turbo DI motors, the one we are talking in this thread for honda have not been around much. The non turbo DI has been 2 max 3 more years, but even those engines ive see show the same issues that VAG TFSI had. as i said in the previous post. LSPI is a common thing in turbo DI engines.. Low speed higher gear (low rpm) then you should, boost creeps, now you have high turbo load ,combustion chambers gets leaned out, then it gets really hot booom you burn a ring!! out of no where with out beating on it you blow your motor
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.