First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today I drove a Ford Fusion Hybrid from Columbus to Chicago, about 350 miles.

This was a new Titanium trim model. About $31500 according to a quick search.

I've written about the Fusion Hybrid before on the forum, so this isn't about my opinion of the Ford, (which isn't bad).

I just thought I'd share my real-world mileage. Mostly freeway, 65-75mph, for the most part. The Ford got 38.6 mpg.

My Ex-T gets about 42 in mixed freeway heavy driving. It also cost about $8k less.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic or Hybrid IMG_9761.JPG
Sponsored

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Highway driving is not the Fusion Hybrid's forte. 38 is decent, but no surprise you beat it. The city driving is where they usually stand out.

Though I demand a manual as my personal car, I've rented a Fusion several times for trips, including a loaded SE model. I like them quite a bit. Mine had the 1.5 turbo each time so MPG's were low 30's but that's mostly my fault as I was a heavy foot rental driver. Probably could have done mid 30's or so if I just stuck the cruise control at 70mph.

If I could live with an auto, I'd have no problem owning a fusion. I imagine the Titanium model is pretty nice inside.

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't disagree, the Fusion isn't a bad car at all. I'd rather drive it over any KIA or Nissan. Bullet points from my experience with 2 Hybrids:
- Decent power at the low end
- Better handling than many similar cars, but not as good as the Civic by a long shot
- A pretty well designed interior, but the seats lack heating
- Battery pack makes the trunk useless for more than 1 suitcase

As for mileage, my previous in-town rental was pretty unimpressive as well. I got the low 30's, which is again in the Civic's range. I note the previous driver in this car got 34.4, so I beat that. I note those numbers are better than Ford's own rating for this car.

But considering the higher price point, the Civic is a much better value, and the Ford doesn't offer any gain in MPG, so unless having the Hybrid logo means something to you, I just don't see the point.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I don't disagree, the Fusion isn't a bad car at all. I'd rather drive it over any KIA or Nissan. Bullet points from my experience with 2 Hybrids:
- Decent power at the low end
- Better handling than many similar cars, but not as good as the Civic by a long shot
- A pretty well designed interior, but the seats lack heating
- Battery pack makes the trunk useless for more than 1 suitcase

As for mileage, my previous in-town rental was pretty unimpressive as well. I got the low 30's, which is again in the Civic's range. I note the previous driver in this car got 34.4, so I beat that. I note those numbers are better than Ford's own rating for this car.

But considering the higher price point, the Civic is a much better value, and the Ford doesn't offer any gain in MPG, so unless having the Hybrid logo means something to you, I just don't see the point.
If you're driving that car for the first time, then you won't be getting maximum MPG's. There's definitely a large learning curve on the Fusion Hybrid. Also, it doesn't compete with the Civic in any way. Larger car, more room. It's a family hauler/highway cruiser. Definitely not a corner carver. Plus there's an 800 or so weight difference between the two. That's massive.

No doubt the Civic is impressive with the mileage it gets. If it were the size of the Fusion, that wouldn't be the case. BTW, the EPA ratings for the Fusion Hybrid are 43/41 city and highway. Just a glance on Fuelly shows some people are indeed beating that. If you got low 30's in town on your rental, you have some learning to do with getting maximum mileage with a Hybrid. Again city is where they really shine.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I've driven a '17 fusion hybrid (rental) for a few days.

Nice looking car... comfortable, fairly quiet. and it did feel heavy -- which can be good and bad.

Mpg ---?
City -- You really have to work with it to get 40+.
Highway -- Drive it close to 70 mph (or higher) and the mpg falls apart. 65 mph or less is required for 40+.

The civic EX-T 6mt wins in mpg (and most other aspects, imo)
The civic feels like the interior is nearly as big as the fusion, and the trunk wins ... by a lot. Kind of shows the contrast (superiority) of what an "old school" efficient transmission and modern turbocharging on small displacement can do. Throw in solid engineering through "light-weighting" and aero -- you've got a winner.

Hybrids? We don't need no stinking hybrids.

Last edited:

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
Highway driving is not the Fusion Hybrid's forte. 38 is decent, but no surprise you beat it. The city driving is where they usually stand out.

Though I demand a manual as my personal car, I've rented a Fusion several times for trips, including a loaded SE model. I like them quite a bit. Mine had the 1.5 turbo each time so MPG's were low 30's but that's mostly my fault as I was a heavy foot rental driver. Probably could have done mid 30's or so if I just stuck the cruise control at 70mph.

If I could live with an auto, I'd have no problem owning a fusion. I imagine the Titanium model is pretty nice inside.
My previous car was a 2005 Civic Hybrid. Ran it for 315K miles and was averaging about 50MPG over all those years. Got my 2017 EXT with MT this past December since the hybrid battery died and the car was rusting fairly badly. So far, given my driving style and commute, I am getting better MPG with the new EXT. Around 52MPG.
Sponsored