Civic in shop longer than I have had it.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Some of us might as well take our cars to the wreckers if this guy's civic is a lemon
Sponsored

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I know my engine makes a clicking noise when it's running. You can only hear it from the outside. Sounds like a purge valve but a lot louder. But I was wondering what he was talking about.
My 16 crv does that, but I have heard others that sounded the same, so didn't think much of it

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Not sure its the same, as Honda is installing a new trans next week.
Good. If you want, push for a new car but it's highly unlikely you'll get one. Other than that your car will run good as new when they replace the transmission. Good thing you said something early on as well. The lemon law doesn't apply to your case. Cause if it did, I would've gotten a new car!

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hit Honda of America up on Twitter, too...companies don't like the negative promotion on social media. Sometimes they respond quickest through those channels.
It won't work. They'll just tell you to call Honda Customer Support and open a case number.

Seriously. I've blasted them on FB, Twitter, UPSed their CEO, UPSed their EVP of Quality, created my own website (http://hondacivicproblems.com/) - nothing but template responses "Please contact your case manager."

Worst customer experience I've ever had frankly - I've been treated better by BMW, AT&T Wireless, the IRS, 24 Hour Fitness, when I've run into significant problems.

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I lemon-lawed a 2012 Focus to get my Civic. I woulda been seriously bummed if I'd had transmission issues with this car as well. Sorry :(

And the twitter idea is not bad. I've had good luck with shitty hotels who were otherwise completely non-responsive through twitter.

Buuut....Where the Ford transmission was just a shitty design and unfixable imo, I think you got an actual lemon of a decent transmission that I bet will actually be fixed when they give it back to you. They're obviously giving you a rental on the house, right?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It won't work. They'll just tell you to call Honda Customer Support and open a case number.

Seriously. I've blasted them on FB, Twitter, UPSed their CEO, UPSed their EVP of Quality, created my own website (http://hondacivicproblems.com/) - nothing but template responses "Please contact your case manager."

Worst customer experience I've ever had frankly - I've been treated better by BMW, AT&T Wireless, the IRS, 24 Hour Fitness, when I've run into significant problems.
Wow, that's pretty pathetic on Honda's part that they're not stepping in to try to save a customer.

The fact that the IRS gave you better service than Honda is quite telling. :nono:

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that's pretty pathetic on Honda's part that they're not stepping in to try to save a customer.

The fact that the IRS gave you better service than Honda is quite telling. :nono:
Or Honda's customer service could be great, and they just happen to talk to the employee that just caught their spouse cheating. :dunno:

BoringOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
To be fair, dtccivic's problem is a software glitch that isn't really affecting the usability of the car. What can Honda really do other than say "yeah, we're looking into it and working on a fix"?

That said, the OP should definitely press the dealership that sold it to him for a replacement. So they confirmed there was a problem with the transmission and are replacing it under the warranty? Bitch enough and they might actually give you a replacement or refund, even if you have to threaten them with the lemon law. I'm not sure about your state, but in Ohio you can get them to buyback the car under the lemon law if the car is in the shop for more than 30 days within the first year, has 8 or more significant problems in the first year, they fail to fix the same significant problem 3 times, or if they fail to fix a potentially deadly safety issue once. It's in your best interest to keep it with the dealer as long as possible if you intend to use the lemon law, at least in Ohio. With your car having almost 2 weeks in the shop it wouldn't take much more than one more significant issue to have it in the shop for 30 days in the first year. Good luck OP, keep us updated.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
To be fair, dtccivic's problem is a software glitch that isn't really affecting the usability of the car. What can Honda really do other than say "yeah, we're looking into it and working on a fix"?
It seems minor, but here's two scenarios:

Scenario 1: Honda says you voided the warranty (this is the happy scenario)
  1. The error/warnings tell you to "Immediately stop in a safe place and contact Roadside Assistance." (see example at the bottom)
  2. Let's say you choose to ignore this - thinking that it is a false error (which they probably are) and keep driving.
  3. Let's say that this time the problem is real.
  4. You keep driving. The brakes/charging system get totally busted.
  5. You call Honda.
  6. American Honda Legal asks: "How many miles did you drive after the errors showed up?". They deny your claim
  7. You decide to fight American Honda - which goes to arbitration as per your terms of purchase. They get to hire (I think) the arbitrator. Guess who wins the majority of the time in arbitration - the company (who hires the arbitrator) or the consumer?
Scenario 2: You get into an accident (this is the sad scenario)
  1. The error/warnings tell you to "Immediately stop in a safe place and contact Roadside Assistance." (see example at the bottom)
  2. Let's say you choose to ignore this - thinking that it is a false error and keep driving.
  3. Let's say that this time the problem is real.
  4. You keep driving. The brakes/abs actually fail.
  5. You get into an accident and seriously injur someone else.
  6. Their lawyer's closing statement in front of a jury: "BoringOhio recklessly drove his 2016 Honda Civic despite knowing that the brakes were bad. Would you do that? Would you destroy the lives of the Smith family?" - better hope you have umbrella insurance.
Why I know these things: I've spent way too much of my life talking to in-house counsel (corporate lawyers) at 2 major companies that were highly sued; had my email archived for legal defense purposes; and more.

(Funny story: One company couldn't put a graphic of scissors cutting along a dotted line showing how to open the packaging, because they'd been sued in the past by someone who was injured using scissors.)

Get in writing (like I did) that it is OK to drive with said errors. CYA: Cover your ass.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic in shop longer than I have had it. 20160614_192758000_iOS

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
At least at this point you will be getting a 'new' transmission. Nothing like buying a new car that's been out for a bit and, when it fails a week later, be told they're replacing the parts with rebuilt ones...

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
@ebear, I regret hearing about the transmission issue with your Civic. I bought my Civic on a Saturday, drove it home from the dealer. After driving it again on Sunday, it would not start. My Civic was towed to my local Honda dealership on Monday and remained until Wednesday. Even the service department could not start my Civic. The battery and starter were replaced, but electronic issues remained. An unbolted ground wire was found to be the root cause of the issues. My Civic was repaired, not replaced, and I believe it's more likely your Civic will be repaired as well.

As far as Lemon laws, they vary from state to state. It's my understanding that there must be proof of problems with repeated attempts to resolve the problems without success. Currently, you're looking at just one issue that has yet to be remedied.

Last edited:

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
3 words, LEMON LAW LAWYER
Sponsored