Can I use carplay for maps while listening to audio from ipod in console?

happycamper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX-L
Hey guys, new 2017 Hatchback EX-L owner here. Loving the car so far, but I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if maybe it isn't even possible:

Can I have my iphone plugged in up front and use carplay for maps/texts/calls, and be using an old ipod for audio through the center console usb port (by the cupholder)? I've tried getting it to work, but whenever the iphone is plugged in it wants to always try to use that for the audio, even there is no music on my phone.

I'm hoping to not have to use any streaming services and my ipod has my entire music library on it.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, new 2017 Hatchback EX-L owner here. Loving the car so far, but I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if maybe it isn't even possible:

Can I have my iphone plugged in up front and use carplay for maps/texts/calls, and be using an old ipod for audio through the center console usb port (by the cupholder)? I've tried getting it to work, but whenever the iphone is plugged in it wants to always try to use that for the audio, even there is no music on my phone.

I'm hoping to not have to use any streaming services and my ipod has my entire music library on it.

Thanks for any help.
Car Play requires you to plug in the iPhone to the USB port. So, no.

OP
OP

happycamper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX-L
Car Play requires you to plug in the iPhone to the USB port. So, no.
There are 2 USB ports. For carplay you have to use the front port, but the port in the cupholder console will let you play music from an ipod/USB drive. I had assumed that since there are 2 ports I could use them simultaneously if they are doing different functions. But when I have music playing from the cupholder port it immediately stops when I plug the iphone into the front port.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
There are 2 USB ports. For carplay you have to use the front port, but the port in the cupholder console will let you play music from an ipod/USB drive. I had assumed that since there are 2 ports I could use them simultaneously if they are doing different functions. But when I have music playing from the cupholder port it immediately stops when I plug the iphone into the front port.
The manual is not specific. But, I know it won't let me use Bluetooth when I am using Car Play. So, I assume it is not going to let you use iPod when using Car Play.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At least with Android Auto, I can use Google Maps + USB audio through the cupholder port.

Granted, it's only a flash drive, not an iPod, but in theory it should work the same.

OP
OP

happycamper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX-L
At least with Android Auto, I can use Google Maps + USB audio through the cupholder port.

Granted, it's only a flash drive, not an iPod, but in theory it should work the same.
I was thinking of trying a flash drive instead of the ipod. Maybe having 2 apple devices plugged in at the same time confuses it.

OP
OP

happycamper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX-L
There is a voice command 'Ipod Play'. You can try saying that and see if it works.
Well, I swear I haven't done anything much differently than before but it's working now. Seems like I need to plug the ipod in first, then the iphone, and select "no" when it asks if you want to switch devices. But the carplay apps still work.

ediblebirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 ST
Country flag
Just cycle the audio source you want with the left steering wheel controls and you're good.
Sponsored