Buying a Certified Pre-Owned Civic Si - any downsides?

Rtwright68

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion (buying a Civic Si this year)
Country flag
Looking to purchase a Civic Si later this year. Would prefer new (2020 - if they will even be available at that time) but not opposed to buying a Certified Pre-Owned.

Warranty extension to 7 years/100K miles looks interesting. Anyone purchase an Si that way? How have things gone if so?

Would like to keep the mileage under 30K if at all possible. Just not sure how hard it would have been driven and could that allow Honda to bow out of covering any problems?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I bought my 2017 Si CPO with 20.5k miles. The warranty extension has already proved to be worth it.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Bought it brand new and I got the extension 7 years 160kilo... its was worth! My dealer its verry nice because Im tuned to ... I just flash it back to stock when problem happen. They changed AC ... cams... injector... rebuild some wire.

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Looking to purchase a Civic Si later this year. Would prefer new (2020 - if they will even be available at that time) but not opposed to buying a Certified Pre-Owned.

Warranty extension to 7 years/100K miles looks interesting. Anyone purchase an Si that way? How have things gone if so?

Would like to keep the mileage under 30K if at all possible. Just not sure how hard it would have been driven and could that allow Honda to bow out of covering any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Just curious what used prices are running in your area. I was able to negotiate a few thousand off the price brand new (2018). I'm told these things hold value pretty well.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag

Thanks in advance.
I’d check the usual spots for wear or past mods.
Also have the dealer put in writing that they checked if it was every flashed so you dont have any future warranty issues (if u dont plan on it)

friend of mine bought a used ctr and is going through that now

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Bought it brand new and I got the extension 7 years 160kilo... its was worth! My dealer its verry nice because Im tuned to ... I just flash it back to stock when problem happen. They changed AC ... cams... injector... rebuild some wire.
You're tuned, flashed to stock and claim warranty? Damn. Your lucky no one in Honda Canada found out. Would suck if a corporate employee whos on this forum finds out and voids your warranty for that ....

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
You're tuned, flashed to stock and claim warranty? Damn. Your lucky no one in Honda Canada found out. Would suck if a corporate employee whos on this forum finds out and voids your warranty for that ....
If u have a failure (major) and it escalates past dealer thats when they pull data n bag u

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
No need to be a d***

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
As you can tell from the comments so far, many owners do performance mods and likely drive their SI hard. And many run into warranty issues. They are very easy to mod (bolt on parts and a tuner) so many do mod. My opinion is that the little direct injection 1.5t is not the ideal motor to mod. It isn't as robust as the old K engines were.

If I was buying an SI, I would buy new. Especially since used SIs cost almost as much as a new one. If I was buying a used SI, I would get a 2014 or 2015 coupe with the sweet k2.4 engine. Preferably driven by an old guy only on sunny summer Sundays.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Not an si, but I bought a hatch sport manual CPO and already have had injectors replaced and both outside mirror caps and black door trim replaced.
cpo is nice if you get a good deal.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
If u have a failure (major) and it escalates past dealer thats when they pull data n bag u
Especially if myself and an engineer is involved, it's a done deal

No need to be a d***
I'm sorry but do you know anything about warranty and how putting an aftermarket part may cause the issue? Honestly I'm chill, I've heard stories from Honda USA how kids blew their tranny on their CTR and tried to warranty it even tho it was fully tuned

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
Especially if myself and an engineer is involved, it's a done deal

I'm sorry but do you know anything about warranty and how putting an aftermarket part may cause the issue? Honestly I'm chill, I've heard stories from Honda USA how kids blew their tranny on their CTR and tried to warranty it even tho it was fully tuned
Yep and they got em replaced too lol

OP
OP

Rtwright68

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion (buying a Civic Si this year)
Country flag
As you can tell from the comments so far, many owners do performance mods and likely drive their SI hard. And many run into warranty issues. They are very easy to mod (bolt on parts and a tuner) so many do mod. My opinion is that the little direct injection 1.5t is not the ideal motor to mod. It isn't as robust as the old K engines were.

If I was buying an SI, I would buy new. Especially since used SIs cost almost as much as a new one. If I was buying a used SI, I would get a 2014 or 2015 coupe with the sweet k2.4 engine. Preferably driven by an old guy only on sunny summer Sundays.
Good points. The cost isn't that far greater. I'm thinking at this point that a new one might be hard to come by when I"m ready to pull the trigger (long story short, selling a Firebird in the spring, year-end bonus, current lease will be up in December).

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
My opinion is that this car is fragile and Honda tried a lot of new things this generation. Extended warranty would be useful for this car.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
If they warranty my claims its because is nothing related to my mods, so they warranty it.

Cold climate maybe helps a bit here for oil dilution. Injector and AC condenser are weak on these car. My Adviser tell me they have an note on those 1.5t injector and the note is the parts need to be improve.

I'm taking care of my car and do the oil change at 50%...So I do x2 more oil change on my car than normal people does and I also do all at the dealer so they pretty like me.
Sponsored

Last edited: