Brand new civic 1.5 sport sluggish

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Just went to the Honda (USA) website to look at the Sport Hatchback specs. Apparently it's a 180hp version of my 174hp Touring. Premium fuel reccomended vs 87 for mine. I've been driving 10th gen since 2016, started with a EX-L coupe, recently upgraded to a Touring Coupe. Did a lot of both commuting & long trips with the 16 and was always surprised by the ample & immediate power available when I needed it, accelerating from 40mph & up, a smooth rush of power. Starting from a stop with the CVT has always been a bit slow, but that's the nature-of-the-beast with a small displacement engine with a CVT. On ramps & merging are effortless, and my new Touring seems to have the same characteristics. All that being a given, your 180hp version of the same drivetrain should be similar, if not a bit more punchy. If it is sometimes good, but not consistent, I agree with the above posters, drive another and compare, if nothing else, Honda's are usually very consistent. I'd also bring up the boost gauge in the display and see what the turbo is doing when you demand power and it isn't there, your thoughts on the waste gate may be validated.
Sponsored

mfwalsh942

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the first time driving a cvt so maybe thats it?
I bought the Sport with 6 spd MT and I love it, but when I had my car in the shop for a few days, they gave me a Sport CVT and I hated it! It felt like a dump truck compared to my MT. I know we have a lot of CVT drivers on the forums, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I didn't like driving the CVT at all.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
There is no debate (shouldn’t be anyway), the M transmission is more fun/responsive. Open road = yes please

Why I bought the CVT: A lot of my driving is in traffic, and I’d rather have CVT / Brake hold do a lot of the work

M = more fun
CVT = more convenient

For a daily, I choose convenience

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you checked the intercooler piping connections? A few people complained that their IC piping was not tightened from the factory and they had big boost leaks.

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
The cvt is crap and the 1.5 is extremely overrated it's not that good as these fan boys made it seem it's only good in the ctr and modded si
What makes you say that?

OP
OP

Boostedomega

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R, Civic RS sport.
Country flag
Have you checked the intercooler piping connections? A few people complained that their IC piping was not tightened from the factory and they had big boost leaks.
Thanks a lot for the reminder mate! I am going to check the intercooler piping on monday. I have a feeling I have a boost leak. The turbo is pretty audible and I am on the stock intake. Makes me think the turbo overcompensating.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I said the fan boys made it overrated they way they're talking like it's a BMW m4 or something
It's not overrated at all. How many other 1500cc economy cars can run low 14s in the quarter and get 45+ mpg highway with a simple reflash.

First Name
SaĂŻd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
Hi guys. I just recently purchased a brand new civic 1.5 sports hatch with cvt to use as a daily and I despise driving this car ever since I drove it off the showroom floor. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light because I refuse to believe honda put out such a terrible driving car. I am thinking honda sold me a faulty car? Is that even such a thing?? You would expect a brand new car to have zero issues.

The best way I can describe the car, it feels like I am driving a car with the wastegate stuck partially open. The throttle is extremely laggy and heavy sensation with almost zero throttle response. Taking off from the lights feels like im dragging an anchor and the car wont reach full boost or power unless I gradually roll on the power as opposed to mashing the gas. Its like the car is limiting power and torque from the dig until I reach 60kmh. But here is the strange thing, the car intermittently will suddenly become responsive with much faster turbo spool and will last usually for about 20 minutes before it goes back to being sluggish and not boosting correctly.

I have noticed the idle seems to be ever so lightly rough have a slight vibration. I am using premium 98 fuel.

Any help would be appreciated.
use regular gas because the 1.5t needs regular (unless you have a Si ou a CTR), and go easy for the first 1000km, turn off the traction control sometimes its cuts power thats going to wheels. And keep in mind that the factory tune makes the turbo kick in around 1800 rpm, so below that you wont feel too much and check out this video:

OP
OP

Boostedomega

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R, Civic RS sport.
Country flag
use regular gas because the 1.5t needs regular (unless you have a Si ou a CTR), and go easy for the first 1000km, turn off the traction control sometimes its cuts power thats going to wheels. And keep in mind that the factory tune makes the turbo kick in around 1800 rpm, so below that you wont feel too much and check out this video:
This is awesome advice. I will try using regular gas and see how it goes. Thanks for the video too!

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
I used to own a 2018 Sport Hatch CVT. It was a peppy thing. It really woke up when I did a +9 custom hondata tune on it.

Go back to the dealer and ask to drive a different sport. If anything, you have the warranty and lemon law! The dealer will make it right.

ETA: as others have stated, use 91 or higher fuel. I always ran 93 in mine
Sponsored