First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Hello,

about a week ago I decided I wanted to make my 2016 civic sedan touring handle like it was on rails. So far, in 3 days, I have added continental extreme contact dsw06 215/45/R17 and a type r subframe brace which I installed this morning. The tires alone made a HUGE difference from the stock firestones and I couldnā€™t be happier with the decision. Well now Iā€™m itching for more handling modification recommendations that others have done that truly make a difference. Below is a list of the parts I have been considering:

• Whiteline lowering springs
  • Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar
  • Ultra Racing Strut Bar
  • Ultra Racing Front Power Brace
  • Ultra Racing Trunk Strut Brace
  • Ultra Racing Rear Torsion Bar

What other mods should I be considering to take this cars handling characteristics to the next level? My next upgrades will most likely be these and then stainless brake lines and the power stop Z7574 Z23 brake kit but Iā€™m curious to see what handling modifications everyone else has to recommend.... any Iā€™ve missed? Better ones then what Iā€™ve got listed? Etc.... thanks for any help!
Sponsored

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
The rear sway bar will have the biggest impact I think. Same with the springs but only if you install nicely matched shocks with them.
Strut bar has a very mild effect and not really needed if all is done right. In fact the front links helped my hatch a lot more when it comes to side to side rigidity in corners.
These days the chassis are very rigid, I'd do the bracing last if needed.

OP
OP
Alj888

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
The rear sway bar will have the biggest impact I think. Same with the springs but only if you install nicely matched shocks with them.
Strut bar has a very mild effect and not really needed if all is done right. In fact the front links helped my hatch a lot more when it comes to side to side rigidity in corners.
These days the chassis are very rigid, I'd do the bracing last if needed.
Ordered the rear sway bar with accord end links yesterday and am eagerly waiting its arrival!! So, the springs I plan on using with the stock shocks as all I am looking to achieve is the higher spring rate, and about 20mm drop they provide. With doing so, I am told the front end links wonā€™t have much of an affect if the car is lowered.... is that true?

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ordered the rear sway bar with accord end links yesterday and am eagerly waiting its arrival!! So, the springs I plan on using with the stock shocks as all I am looking to achieve is the higher spring rate, and about 20mm drop they provide. With doing so, I am told the front end links wonā€™t have much of an affect if the car is lowered.... is that true?
Could be, I don't know. I only have the Si springs and feel the shocks aren't dampening enough.
Mid corner bumps are upsetting my car quite a bit. I would love to try some shocks that better match the Si springs...

My other car is rock solid through corners and only has the HFP suspension, a RSB and polyurethane bushings in the front. Absolutely no need for a strut bar or anything else for the street.

tripodog

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc2 sport 2.slow
Country flag
Check out the spoon subframe collars.
The 10 gens handle real well. Theyā€™re a little porky compared to past gens. So weight loss would improve handling.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Hello,

about a week ago I decided I wanted to make my 2016 civic sedan touring handle like it was on rails. So far, in 3 days, I have added continental extreme contact dsw06 215/45/R17 and a type r subframe brace which I installed this morning. The tires alone made a HUGE difference from the stock firestones and I couldnā€™t be happier with the decision. Well now Iā€™m itching for more handling modification recommendations that others have done that truly make a difference. Below is a list of the parts I have been considering:

• Whiteline lowering springs
  • Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar
  • Ultra Racing Strut Bar
  • Ultra Racing Front Power Brace
  • Ultra Racing Trunk Strut Brace
  • Ultra Racing Rear Torsion Bar

What other mods should I be considering to take this cars handling characteristics to the next level? My next upgrades will most likely be these and then stainless brake lines and the power stop Z7574 Z23 brake kit but Iā€™m curious to see what handling modifications everyone else has to recommend.... any Iā€™ve missed? Better ones then what Iā€™ve got listed? Etc.... thanks for any help!
Love your consideration list, almost leads me to think that you've been following our build threads since that's the exact setup we've tested on our Blue Si, and added even more parts on top as it's my daily, and track beast!

Before I jump into parts I see that you've mentioned, I would say that after the winter your should consider a larger wheel and tire setup to increase your footprint. 17x8 +35 with 235/40R17 would be a mild upgrade, 17x9 ET40 with 255/40R17 will be a serious upgrade. Although the tires you just got are decent, you will find that pushing the car you just won't have enough mechanical grip (contact between the car and the road). You didn't make a bad choice at all, but ultimately you'd be lacking some grip. However, lack of grip if you are still learning and realize both the limitations of the car and yourself are actually a good thing because you can actually feel at slower, safer speeds where the car starts to slip and then dial in your inputs accordingly :)

Blue here has everything you've mentioned done to it, and a lot more. From your list the most dramatic change other than wheels and tires will be the Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar, then followed by the Whiteline Lowering Springs - both are classified as suspension upgrades that will reduce body roll, and improve steering response.

The Ultra Racing upgrades on the other hand will add rigidity to the car's structure since they're bolted directly to various points on the chassis connecting two or more areas. Chassis Bracing improves your steering feel, and reduces the flex in the body of the car going over uneven surfaces. I built a display to show how it all works in conjunction on the 10th Gen (last pic)

We have all these items available, in stock ready to go if you're looking for more. Also, 20% off on Ultra Racing doesn't hurt :)

Let me know if you have any questions, we love helping with setups since we try it all!!

https://unity-performance.com/

Honda Civic 10th gen Best Handling Modifications rsz_1rsz_dsc_1246

Honda Civic 10th gen Best Handling Modifications DSC_0784.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Best Handling Modifications DSC_0781.JPG

Note: missing rear torsion bar since the large muffler doesn't leave clearance for it
Honda Civic 10th gen Best Handling Modifications DSC_0786.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Best Handling Modifications DSC_1298.JPG

OP
OP
Alj888

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Love your consideration list, almost leads me to think that you've been following our build threads since that's the exact setup we've tested on our Blue Si, and added even more parts on top as it's my daily, and track beast!

Before I jump into parts I see that you've mentioned, I would say that after the winter your should consider a larger wheel and tire setup to increase your footprint. 17x8 +35 with 235/40R17 would be a mild upgrade, 17x9 ET40 with 255/40R17 will be a serious upgrade. Although the tires you just got are decent, you will find that pushing the car you just won't have enough mechanical grip (contact between the car and the road). You didn't make a bad choice at all, but ultimately you'd be lacking some grip. However, lack of grip if you are still learning and realize both the limitations of the car and yourself are actually a good thing because you can actually feel at slower, safer speeds where the car starts to slip and then dial in your inputs accordingly :)

Blue here has everything you've mentioned done to it, and a lot more. From your list the most dramatic change other than wheels and tires will be the Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar, then followed by the Whiteline Lowering Springs - both are classified as suspension upgrades that will reduce body roll, and improve steering response.

The Ultra Racing upgrades on the other hand will add rigidity to the car's structure since they're bolted directly to various points on the chassis connecting two or more areas. Chassis Bracing improves your steering feel, and reduces the flex in the body of the car going over uneven surfaces. I built a display to show how it all works in conjunction on the 10th Gen (last pic)

We have all these items available, in stock ready to go if you're looking for more. Also, 20% off on Ultra Racing doesn't hurt :)

Let me know if you have any questions, we love helping with setups since we try it all!!

rsz_1rsz_dsc_1246.jpg

DSC_0784.JPG

DSC_0781.JPG

Note: missing rear torsion bar since the large muffler doesn't leave clearance for it
DSC_0786.JPG

DSC_1298.JPG
I ordered the sway bar from you guys a couple days ago!!! Yeah, Iā€™ve got plans for new wheels and tires, Iā€™ll be stepping up to 18 though cause I think they fill the wheel gap better and weight gain is relatively minimal unless I decide to drop the money for my dream wheels which sadly only come in a 19 but are forged so they are rather light. The dsw06 are a huge improvement from stock and were easy choice considering they werenā€™t expensive and I had to upgrade the tires anyways.

OP
OP
Alj888

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
I went to a 22mm whiteline but really notice anything. Stepped up to the 26mm and love it.
Hmmmmmm, I went with the 22mm whiteline sway bar, Iā€™ll let you know what I think after I get it installed and do some driving.

tripodog

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc2 sport 2.slow
Country flag

rsz_1rsz_dsc_1246.jpg

DSC_0784.JPG

DSC_0781.JPG

DSC_0786.JPG

DSC_1298.JPG
Can you still run the splash panels with those braces?

Ezil71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sport touring
Country flag
Depending on if you want neutral vs oversteer...

On my sport hatch touring just adding the si rear bar, accord links, and front strut tower bar got me to nicely neutral, even on the stock 18ā€™s.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I went to a 22mm whiteline but really notice anything. Stepped up to the 26mm and love it.
All depends how skilled you are - your build shows you're no novice :) The R does have higher limits too than the non-R's. My local CTR tester also went straight to the 26mm because he does track his car :drive:

I ordered the sway bar from you guys a couple days ago!!! Yeah, Iā€™ve got plans for new wheels and tires, Iā€™ll be stepping up to 18 though cause I think they fill the wheel gap better and weight gain is relatively minimal unless I decide to drop the money for my dream wheels which sadly only come in a 19 but are forged so they are rather light. The dsw06 are a huge improvement from stock and were easy choice considering they werenā€™t expensive and I had to upgrade the tires anyways.
Yes, you did! Thank you for your order, it should be on its way tomorrow :)

18's are great as well! I'm thinking of doing 18x9 +40 with 25/35R18 for my track set next year!

I don't tend to splash out on wheels either myself, Toronto roads can claim victims easily!

Hmmmmmm, I went with the 22mm whiteline sway bar, Iā€™ll let you know what I think after I get it installed and do some driving.
You'll be stepping up from a 16mm to 22mm RSB. CTR's go from a 20mm to 22mm RSB hence it's not as drastic a jump for them the 22mm. Don't worry, you'll have some fun but definitely respect weight transfer - braking in the turn, and lifting off the throttle in turns can cause lift off oversteer if you're pushing it

Sorry fo the off topic...
Iā€™m not an expert or anything, but is it ok for a subframe to rust like that? (Serious question)
3 Canadian winters does that, luckily it's just surface as I did wash the car 2-3 times weekly including underside. I'll no longer be driving the Si in the winter, getting a beater

Can you still run the splash panels with those braces?
Yes, pic is with them off as we were doing the clutch upgrade

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry fo the off topic...
Iā€™m not an expert or anything, but is it ok for a subframe to rust like that? (Serious question)
Not sure it can cause structural damage but definitely Honda went at least one grade down with the steel quality.
My 2007 Honda isn't any worse than my 2018 when it comes to rust, and this is in Canada, where for at least 4 months they salt the roads like crazy.
The 2018 Civic is about as bad as the Mazda3 that I leased for the 3 previous years, unfortunately...

OP
OP
Alj888

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
All depends how skilled you are - your build shows you're no novice :) The R does have higher limits too than the non-R's. My local CTR tester also went straight to the 26mm because he does track his car :drive:

Yes, you did! Thank you for your order, it should be on its way tomorrow :)

18's are great as well! I'm thinking of doing 18x9 +40 with 25/35R18 for my track set next year!

I don't tend to splash out on wheels either myself, Toronto roads can claim victims easily!
Sweet! What do you guys think about the hassle of installing the front sway bar compared to the potential performance gains? What about the whiteline springs? Performance wise are they worth it?
Sponsored