Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I just installed my OPT7 interior lights, but was wondering if anyone happened to know where to wire tap/splice to get the lights turned on when the door opens and the dome light turns on?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
The dome light already turns on when you unlock the car/open the door. Do you mean the front map lights also?
Sorry I should have worded it differently, but it’s the OPT7 interior light LEDs for the footwells of the car. It’s main power is connenected by a fuse tap, but there are two wires (+ and -) marked for auxiliary.

OP
OP

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Ohhhhhh I see. There was a post about this a few months back, I will try to find it for you. I dont remember how to do it
Thank you! I’ve been searching, but been only able to find a post where the OP does the same kit install as I did but does not use the auxiliary wiring.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
I finally got around to adding my under dash lights. I used a pair of Heise blue LEDs. The passenger side was pretty easy. I just popped off the lower under dash cover, drilled a hole where nothing would interfere, and mounted the light. The drivers side didn't have a good mounting location, but I came up with a good solution. I used a piece of radio back strap. I had to enlarge a hole on one end for the light. I used one of the brake pedal mounting bolts to secure the other end. I made a couple of bends to get it in a good location. I got power from the BCM harness shown above. I had to solder an extension for the passenger side light and run it behind the dash to the other side. I connected everything and tested before putting it back together. The most time consuming part was extending the wire and running it. But I got fancy with heat shrink and lots of wire ties to secure the wire out of the way. They are pretty bright, and was a fun accent piece for my blue HB. The LEDs were less than $5, and everything is completely reversible. It took less than an hour to do.

Honda Civic 10th gen Auxiliary Wire? IMG_20180725_211956408

Honda Civic 10th gen Auxiliary Wire? IMG_20180725_212157824

Honda Civic 10th gen Auxiliary Wire? IMG_20180725_220200289

OP
OP

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I finally got around to adding my under dash lights. I used a pair of Heise blue LEDs. The passenger side was pretty easy. I just popped off the lower under dash cover, drilled a hole where nothing would interfere, and mounted the light. The drivers side didn't have a good mounting location, but I came up with a good solution. I used a piece of radio back strap. I had to enlarge a hole on one end for the light. I used one of the brake pedal mounting bolts to secure the other end. I made a couple of bends to get it in a good location. I got power from the BCM harness shown above. I had to solder an extension for the passenger side light and run it behind the dash to the other side. I connected everything and tested before putting it back together. The most time consuming part was extending the wire and running it. But I got fancy with heat shrink and lots of wire ties to secure the wire out of the way. They are pretty bright, and was a fun accent piece for my blue HB. The LEDs were less than $5, and everything is completely reversible. It took less than an hour to do.

IMG_20180725_211956408.jpg

IMG_20180725_212157824.jpg

IMG_20180725_220200289.jpg
Ahh okay thank you both for the pics and info. So your lights turn on when you open your doors then right? If so, then I’ll try wire tapping those two colors wires with the +/- wires I have.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
Yes, they come in and off with the dome light. They even fade as they go off. The BCM is above and behind The fuse panel. The fuse panel comes out with two 10mm bolts, which gives you a little more room. It's the smaller plug in the middle. It's not exactly easy to see, but wasn't too bad to reach up and disconnect the harness from the bcm. That will allow you to drop the plug down near enough to make the connection. In my car, there were two purple wires, but they both went to the same pin. If you have the cvt, there will be even more room. The clutch pedal bracket is kinda in the way. Once I made the connection, I plugged it back in by feel.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Country flag
Did anyone try this set up with a relay to protect the OEM wiring? I am looking to add footwell lights as well
Sponsored