patrickb7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I came back to my car today to notice tons of these little spots on my paint around the rear and side of the car. Since I daily commute in a snowy area known for using lots of salt, this gave me a near heart attack - could these possibly be the beginning of spots of rust, or would it not form like this on the paint generally?

I’ve tried to get touch free car washes as often as possible, but there have been many occasions where I was forced to park in the garage overnight with the car covered in dried salt, which kills me to do every time. I almost always do a bi yearly hand wash and wax and was not able to get the wax done prior to this winter, so now I’m paranoid.

Honda Civic 10th gen Are these rust spots? IMG_0923

Honda Civic 10th gen Are these rust spots? IMG_0920

Honda Civic 10th gen Are these rust spots? IMG_0922

Honda Civic 10th gen Are these rust spots? IMG_0924

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Rust doesn't eat plastic. Those are iron deposits on the paint. They are a white car's worst enemy.

They sell stuff to clean this specifically.

OP
OP
patrickb7

patrickb7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just looked into it and ordered a bottle of IronX rust spot remover, hoping this solves the issue. Never owner a white car before this so hadn't heard of it before.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
Time for a good ceramic coating.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Iron contamination, it's from brake dust in the air getting embedded in the paint. A quick wipe with a clay bar and some quick detailer will remove it from the paint. Be sure to wash the car first to avoid pushing dirt into the paint. I finally had some free time yesterday to do my white truck, it was looong overdue haha

Honda Civic 10th gen Are these rust spots? unnamed

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
When I lived in the Poconos I found a local carwash that had a 'garage" to drive into that was somewhat heated, and the bonus was it had an undercarriage wash that was pretty robust. I would drive my Accord into that thing at least 2x a month. For 5 years. Now in FL the car has been sold but it never had rust. However, it ate tires, rotors, and pads like candy living in the mtns.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just looked into it and ordered a bottle of IronX rust spot remover, hoping this solves the issue. Never owner a white car before this so hadn't heard of it before.
This happens on all cars but it is generally only visible on white or silver. It is from your brake pads shedding brake dust. I bet if you cover your car top to bottom with IronX, you'll see the entire car changes color... the brake dust is everywhere.
Sponsored