After one year and 42k+ miles......EX-T - Sensing

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I agree about ACC being jerky, but my LKAS works perfectly. Not sure if it would be too much hassle, but it might be worthwhile to get your dealer to take a look at it.
Sponsored

rockrewls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Love the acc as well as the right turn camera for blind spot lane changes (touring), hate the lkas it's annoying and have it turned off, other then that love the car so far great fuel economy 196hp 191 ft/lb torque stock running 91 (no ethanol) over 40mpg (imperial)

Last edited:

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hey buddy, I am down in that area a lot for work. Why I chose the turbo.....mostly, sirius xm, heated seats and the fun of having a little more power. I don't regret the upcharge for all you get, but would have passed on sensing to do it over.
The features are pretty I had a friend who was surprised at the android auto and touch screen on the civic. This is my first honda so I also have been pleased so far. What made you get the sedan vs. the coupe accord ? Hopefully this car ends up also lasting a long period of time. I used to own Toyotas before some were given, the last one I bought was a 2010 Prius. After 106,000 miles, the timing cap was leaking oil and the rings went bad so the entire engine would have to be rebuilt and the dealer wanted more than the worth of the car so I got rid of it. I hope this Civic is more reliable than the Toyota.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Vs coupe sedan - economy (I pay for my own fuel, so the better mpg the more money I keep) and the fact I have a 4 year old son. 4 doors are much easier. Now that I am getting old though, my next car will likely be a used accord or similar. Bigger is nice and I am slowing down a little.

HatchSense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX w/Sensing
Disclaimer - I've only had my car for a few weeks and driven it 700 miles.

My first exposure to the Sensing features was immediate. I purchased my car in Los Angeles (I specifically wanted a car with Sensing, and it was very hard to find a HB EX in black for a good price), and drove it up to Northern California the same day. On a long boring drive that can get exhausting, the car was able to drive itself for parts of the trip (I was a little cautious at first using the Sensing features at first).

The lanes on the 5 freeway are very clear, so LKAS worked very well 75% of the time I had it on. Keep in mind, it was dark and raining, so I was pleasantly surprised at how well it was doing. When it couldn't pick up the lines, it would alert me and I would grasp the wheel briefly before it would pick up the lanes almost immediately. It had no problem turning with the road, granted my route didn't have any sharp turns. The adaptive part of the CC wasn't really needed as the road was more or less clear. As an aside, the Turbo engine was GREAT going up and down the hills as I was exiting LA zooming by everyone.

As far as my daily commute goes, I use the ACC every day and its my favorite feature. Specifically, I use it mostly with <25 mph stop and go traffic, which is what I feel is the most exhausting part of driving. I set the the distance at 2 car lengths and let the car do the driving. I haven't ran into the jerking back and forth issues that other drivers have (or perhaps I don't sense it (pun intended) as much as others), but the car is quite smooth in regards to stopping and going. If someone cuts me off, it is more likely to break harder, but even so its nothing too bad.

From my limited experience, I believe the starting and stopping is directly related to the driver in front of you. If that driver is tailing, speeding up quickly, and slamming the break, your car will likely do something similar. Also the car distance you set probably shouldn't be one bar, as the car will have to react faster. Three car lengths will leave you prone to many cars cutting you off (as well as frustrating drivers behind you). Also, if you set a high speed and have to reach it after breaking, the car will naturally try to catch up by speeding up.

I haven't been able to use the LKAS as much as I had hoped on my commute (if at all). The lines on the freeways I use are not bold enough, so often times the car doesn't pick up the lanes.

In summary, once you figure out how to best use it, the Sensing features can be very useful, particularly the ACC.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Disclaimer - I've only had my car for a few weeks and driven it 700 miles.

My first exposure to the Sensing features was immediate. I purchased my car in Los Angeles (I specifically wanted a car with Sensing, and it was very hard to find a HB EX in black for a good price), and drove it up to Northern California the same day. On a long boring drive that can get exhausting, the car was able to drive itself for parts of the trip (I was a little cautious at first using the Sensing features at first).

The lanes on the 5 freeway are very clear, so LKAS worked very well 75% of the time I had it on. Keep in mind, it was dark and raining, so I was pleasantly surprised at how well it was doing. When it couldn't pick up the lines, it would alert me and I would grasp the wheel briefly before it would pick up the lanes almost immediately. It had no problem turning with the road, granted my route didn't have any sharp turns. The adaptive part of the CC wasn't really needed as the road was more or less clear. As an aside, the Turbo engine was GREAT going up and down the hills as I was exiting LA zooming by everyone.

As far as my daily commute goes, I use the ACC every day and its my favorite feature. Specifically, I use it mostly with <25 mph stop and go traffic, which is what I feel is the most exhausting part of driving. I set the the distance at 2 car lengths and let the car do the driving. I haven't ran into the jerking back and forth issues that other drivers have (or perhaps I don't sense it (pun intended) as much as others), but the car is quite smooth in regards to stopping and going. If someone cuts me off, it is more likely to break harder, but even so its nothing too bad.

From my limited experience, I believe the starting and stopping is directly related to the driver in front of you. If that driver is tailing, speeding up quickly, and slamming the break, your car will likely do something similar. Also the car distance you set probably shouldn't be one bar, as the car will have to react faster. Three car lengths will leave you prone to many cars cutting you off (as well as frustrating drivers behind you). Also, if you set a high speed and have to reach it after breaking, the car will naturally try to catch up by speeding up.

I haven't been able to use the LKAS as much as I had hoped on my commute (if at all). The lines on the freeways I use are not bold enough, so often times the car doesn't pick up the lanes.

In summary, once you figure out how to best use it, the Sensing features can be very useful, particularly the ACC.

You drove from the Bay to LA to get the car ? How come the dealer just didn't order it for you? That's a far drive.

HatchSense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You drove from the Bay to LA to get the car ? How come the dealer just didn't order it for you? That's a far drive.
The Bay Area dealers were not willing to negotiate on price. The MSRP for the EX HB with Sensing is $23.8k. The lowest my nearby dealers were willing to go was $24.7k without taxes/fees and no accessories. The car was already on the lot at the LA dealership, and I was offered $22.7 (without taxes/fees, includes wheel locks and trunk tray), so I figured it was worth a one way flight and gas since I needed a car and had settled on this exact model in black. It was a little odd that they were offering it for such a low price compared to what I was getting locally, but my guess is it was stuck on their lot.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
The Bay Area dealers were not willing to negotiate on price. The MSRP for the EX HB with Sensing is $23.8k. The lowest my nearby dealers were willing to go was $24.7k without taxes/fees and no accessories. The car was already on the lot at the LA dealership, and I was offered $22.7 (without taxes/fees, includes wheel locks and trunk tray), so I figured it was worth a one way flight and gas since I needed a car and had settled on this exact model in black. It was a little odd that they were offering it for such a low price compared to what I was getting locally, but my guess is it was stuck on their lot.

Oh ok. That's not bad. There's plenty of dealers here. I got pricing in Riverside County which was lower than Orange County, then brought the pricing to the dealer here in OC and said match it or I'll drive to the Inland Empire to get it and they did.

I checked pricing in Fresno and Bakersfield, but it seems like SoCal have lower prices. Maybe due to the higher amount of dealers competing here.

HatchSense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh ok. That's not bad. There's plenty of dealers here. I got pricing in Riverside County which was lower than Orange County, then brought the pricing to the dealer here in OC and said match it or I'll drive to the Inland Empire to get it and they did.

I checked pricing in Fresno and Bakersfield, but it seems like SoCal have lower prices. Maybe due to the higher amount of dealers competing here.
Makes sense. That's smart shopping, glad you got a match. I was shocked that the local dealers were not willing to match. I guess people are buying the car at the higher prices up here.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Vs coupe sedan - economy (I pay for my own fuel, so the better mpg the more money I keep) and the fact I have a 4 year old son. 4 doors are much easier. Now that I am getting old though, my next car will likely be a used accord or similar. Bigger is nice and I am slowing down a little.

As time continues can you give updates on the car ? I put high miles on my car and previous car and maybe I'm just paranoid, but my Prius ran 0W-20 oil like this car did. After about 100,000 miles the Prius started having very high oil consumption. The Prius had 4.4 quarts of oil and after about 7,000 miles it nearly burnt off 3.5 quarts. Eventually it was determined that the rings went bad and the material that was used was my understanding.

I don't know if this was a problem with the way Toyota designed the specific car itself, or how newer car engines now start using the 0W-20 oil that makes that issue potentially susceptible. I'm assuming you check the oil level frequently, but can you mention something if you notice the car start burning oil as it gets higher in mileage ?

Like I said, I may just be paranoid, or it may be "car specific" b/c it was a hybrid, but I'm been leery about 0W-20 since then.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
I have 37k miles and agree with your review. Lane keeping assist is the equivalent of having your drunk friend in the passenger seat reach across and hold the steering wheel. Sometimes it bounces between lines, and other times it gives up randomly.

At least you don't have the horrendous noises and rattles that the dealer either tells you are normal or just says "can't replicate"

I would not buy again
Well what did you expect? It's not a Tesla. I think for the price the sensing is quite very decent. Keep in mind it is a computer processes the information not a human

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As time continues can you give updates on the car ? I put high miles on my car and previous car and maybe I'm just paranoid, but my Prius ran 0W-20 oil like this car did. After about 100,000 miles the Prius started having very high oil consumption. The Prius had 4.4 quarts of oil and after about 7,000 miles it nearly burnt off 3.5 quarts. Eventually it was determined that the rings went bad and the material that was used was my understanding.

I don't know if this was a problem with the way Toyota designed the specific car itself, or how newer car engines now start using the 0W-20 oil that makes that issue potentially susceptible. I'm assuming you check the oil level frequently, but can you mention something if you notice the car start burning oil as it gets higher in mileage ?

Like I said, I may just be paranoid, or it may be "car specific" b/c it was a hybrid, but I'm been leery about 0W-20 since then.
Will do. I think that's what my 07 civic used. It was still running great using no oil after 300k miles on it when I sold it. Chick totaled it (again) before it was due for another oil change. I found it by chance online at auction again. Best car I have ever owned.

https://www.copart.com/lot/40386146/

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well what did you expect? It's not a Tesla. I think for the price the sensing is quite very decent. Keep in mind it is a computer processes the information not a human
I think he paid 20k+ for a car that should work as advertised. Anyone who says sensing works well either has one that works a shit ton better than mine, or haven't spent enough time on the highway to see how bad this garbage is. It's a gimmick and nothing else IMO. The random hard braking (when you cross a dotted line, sometimes they are impossible to miss...construction zones, etc) almost causes more accidents than it has ever helped me out on. The fact that the car can see good enough to fire up lane departure warnings, yet LKAS couldn't see good enough to keep you from going there to begin with. ACC is far too jerky in slow traffic, and doesn't get close enough to let left lane loiterers know that you're wanting them to pass....so you just sit there behind him joining the parade that's developing. Of course you can just press the gas to get closer....but if your foot isn't in the exact right place....another involuntary brake check. I used ALL of these features every mile of 50k miles, and I quit every last one of them. I do still use LKAS on the highway, but it's almost more work correcting it when it tries to take you to the median every time you pass a crossroad or a left hand exit.

Between that and android auto, I literally find myself yelling how I hate this car, daily. It would be a wonderful car had they put some support up to correct the software and firmware of these systems. Same with android auto. Been out 2 years now and they have yet to provide any improvements to how it performs. That goes for Google's end too. It can understand an entire paragraph composing a text, yet cannot understand "send" or "no" when it was one of three words it asked for you to reply.

Brake hold is awesome though. Horn still sucks.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

Thank goodness it's not a Tesla. They have been plagued with issues. There was an owner who sued Tesla for problems with his model x which couldn't auto park. See video in link. Nothing like dropping 80k+ for a car in beta stage still.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.dail...-x-getting-slammed-by-californias-lemon-laws/

khory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Ultimate
I wonder if 2017s have better firmware or something. I've found that Sensing works as expected in nearly every scenario so far. A little bit of hard braking from the ACC on a busy freeway but nothing besides that. Siri understands me 95% of the time too.

I'm curious about this. Is there a way to check your version vs the most current build offered?
Sponsored