ugaexploder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
This past weekend I installed a bunch of bolt-ons, and all the parts went on smoothly except for the AFE twisted steel catted dp which I ordered direct from AFE.

For starters, they sent the wrong O2 harness extension…not sure for which car but I thought to myself oh well I can make it work.

I take off the factory cat and realize, the AFE dp comes with no hardware and the instructions state to use factory studs off the cat…again, I’m thinking really guys? Keep in mind this catted dp costs almost double the competition, and only reason I went with them is based on people saying it is least likely to throw CEL.

I double nut the factory stud, pull it off, and when I go to put it on the AFE downpipe, it does not go on by hand. I try to use a couple wrenches to put the stud on and realize its taking way too much effort. Take stud off AFE dp and look at threads inside the hole, and it is fucked because the threads inside the dp and thread pitch of stud DO NOT MATCH.

I’m upset at this point, but the show must go on so I put the studs back on my OE cat, and put back on my stock dp in hopes AFE can resolve my problem.

I call AFE, they ask me to submit a ticket and this is the response their tech support sends me.

“Thank you for contacting us. It is difficult to tell about the threads (especially since you state that you damaged the threads). They are machined as an M10-1.25 so you may want to check your studs.

As to the harness, we pulled some stock and found that some harnesses were mixed up. Please verify your shipping address and we will get the correct harness to you.“

Sounds like they are trying to put blame on me for using THEIR instructions and sending either a defective item, or not sending hardware that should probably provided to begin with.

So my question is what was your experience with the AFE twisted steel catted dp install? And also what would you guys recommend here? I am so close to doing a chargeback and throwing the downpipe in the scrapyard.

TLDR: tried to install dp, didn't work due to bad instructions or defective product; manufacturer trying to shift blame.
Sponsored