9th Gen Indicator/Light Stalk on 10th Gen - It Works! (Mostly)

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
Hi All,

For those who don't know, the light stalk on the euro 10th gens is a little weird. The "off" position is only a momentary switch and resets when the car is powered off. This is somewhat annoying and I wanted the option to just have the lights always be off/be off at power on. I noticed that the US stalks have a more normal configuration with a true off position but they also lacked the rear fog controls.

So one day on ebay I stumbled across a 9th gen stalk which looked incredibly similar to the 10th gen aside from having the normal lighting configuration, and being from a euro car it has the fog controls. So I bought one.

10th gen top, 9th gen bottom:
Honda Civic 10th gen 9th Gen Indicator/Light Stalk on 10th Gen - It Works! (Mostly) 1710428062335-i

Turned up today and I fitted it, and it worked! Except not for my usecase. Looks like the BCM is configured a little differently in the euro cars and the lights will be on auto from power on, even if the stalk is in the off position. Unfortunate but expected, the rest of the stalk works exactly as expected.

Though if you have a US car and want to add rear fogs, the euro 9th gen stalk is probably the option for you since it has the rear fog switch and should work just fine if your car is set up for it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
eob2000

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
I suspect that is because most of the world (Canada included) now require daytime front running lights. The USA is the outlier at this point.
It's still a fairly weird setup I think, most cars with DRLs I've driven have an "off" position that still has the DRLs on. I guess it's nice that we have a fully off mode if we want it. We've required DRLs in the UK since 2014 so I would be interested to see how the 9th gen handled it with the manual stalk.
Sponsored