9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
In the Honda trims that have the 500W Audio unit, the Infotainment unit can send video to the Instrument panel to show various selectable item.
Some originate from the Engine computer (ie oil service info), and some must come from the head unit (Current song playing info + artwork, Phone messages, etc)

Given that some are trying to update thee Honda Head Units with "Better" units, are there any aftermarket head units that support:

(1) Connection to the existing Honda 500W amplifier unit.
(2) Displaying Player info, phone info, or even engine info like Oil Service info, on the Driver's Instrument panel ??

It seems to be something that everyone is ignoring .. "The Elephant in the room" ??

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) jan-8-18

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
How do you enable Google Assistant on these Android stereos? I don't see an option under Settings>Google like on my phone. I've had my unit for a while now and haven't gotten around to addressing this until now.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
How do you enable Google Assistant on these Android stereos? I don't see an option under Settings>Google like on my phone. I've had my unit for a while now and haven't gotten around to addressing this until now.
Shhhhhhhhhush .. you will wake up one of the Elephants !!!

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
ĂŽn Europe I got no updates.

CrashTestJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Any updates on this head unit? This thread has been inactive for a while now.
I'd like to know too. Did anybody ever figure out if these replacement units still keep all of the stock inSLOWtainment functions? I really dislike that stock unit and can't wait to shelf it... I really want a decent low pass signal for my system!

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Daisata looks like a good alternative.

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Any updates on this head unit? This thread has been inactive for a while now.
The units have been maturing through software updates. Current Phoenix (Dasaita) units have not changed much recently. There are several good aftermarket ROM's and car launchers that have really improved on how the units work and act. There are very active communities in XDA forums to help out and answer questions as well as give developers feedback.

HAL9K Rom will give root to the device and add a lot of customization to the ROM.

FCC Launcher blows away the stock launcher as far as looks and customization.

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Amazon has this which is essentially the Phoenix unit under a different manufacturer. For $384 shipped (not prime), it would be my first pick.

Honda Civic 10th gen 9" Aftermarket Android Head Unit (Feature Overview / Installation) upload_2019-2-17_8-48-35

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
The units have been maturing through software updates. Current Phoenix (Dasaita) units have not changed much recently. There are several good aftermarket ROM's and car launchers that have really improved on how the units work and act. There are very active communities in XDA forums to help out and answer questions as well as give developers feedback.

HAL9K Rom will give root to the device and add a lot of customization to the ROM.

FCC Launcher blows away the stock launcher as far as looks and customization.
Curious if there are any forum members who have actually installed these in a civic.
They seem decent but the specs on the civic system are wafer thin so without a custom build for the tiny resources of the civic’s unit and a video of it in action I’d remain a bit aprehensive.

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Ummm, yes. Added Kenwood amp and powered subwoofer. This unit sounds great and love the endless internet streaming options.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Ummm, yes. Added Kenwood amp and powered subwoofer. This unit sounds great and love the endless internet streaming options.
So you have a 3rd party system that you’ve then further rooted and replaced the OS?

How are you handling climate controls? And other settings that can only be set in the stock infotainment system?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you have a 3rd party system that you’ve then further rooted and replaced the OS?

How are you handling climate controls? And other settings that can only be set in the stock infotainment system?
I would like to know that as well :)

MMarquez661

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
I recently installed an aftermarket 9" android head unit and was asked to do a review / overview of features. The price was $325 after shipping from China. The device works with all existing features in the 10th gen civic and adds some other features:
  • Backup camera - all angles available, also has trajectory lines that follow steering wheel movement
  • Lane watch - Can be disabled in the settings
  • Bluetooth - works with both Iphone and android-based phones. Downloads your contact list.
  • GPS antenna - Can use pretty much any GPS app from the play store. If you want to use ones that also require data (Waze, Google Maps) then you either have to tether your phone or download the offline maps to the device
  • Wifi - Works great with tethering
  • 2 USB ports - one routes to the OEM USB input, the other one goes behind your dash to the glove box. I keep a 1TB external hard drive connected with all my music / videos etc.
  • Steering wheel controls - Fully functional, can map any button to perform whatever function you would like. (The cruise control buttons are not able to be mapped however).
  • EasyConnect - a phone mirroring app - works with both iphone and android-based devices. Also allows you to play music over wifi.
  • Update: Apple CarPlay - possible through the purchase of this USB dongle.
System Specs:
  • 1 GB of DDR-3 RAM
  • 16 gigabytes of ROM storage
  • SD slot
  • 2 USB ports
  • CPU: A9, Quad Core 1.6GHz frequency
  • Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600
I have had the unit installed for over a week. Overall I am very happy with it so far. It is a major upgrade from the LX head unit. Music quality is at least equal to that of the OEM headunit, however I am only using the stock speakers. I am not sure how well it would handle an AMP and aftermarket speakers. It does come with the connectors to hook up that equipment however. An equalizer is included and does a decent job, but there are plenty of other ones that on the play store.

I made a video showcasing everything that I could think of. I am not an audiophile, or a master reviewer for head units / sound systems so take it for what it's worth. I made the video by request to show what you can do with this head unit.

I am working on an installation video next. The install was relatively easy and took a little over an hour for me, but could easily be done in less time. The unit is basically plug and play, with the exception of having to connect 2 wires which are clearly labeled.

If you are interested in the head unit or have any questions let me know.

IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3623.JPG IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

Link to head unit.

-----UPDATE-----

CarPlay / Android Auto is now able to be used on this head unit. You just have to purchase this dongle. Works like a champ!

Link to latest firmware for ZBox dongle

See this video on how to update ZBox firmware.

-----UPDATE 2 ----

Video showing how to use Apple CarPlay with this headunit (ZBox):

How's it going. I went to the link to the head unit but shows no longer available. Can you guide me in the right direction to get the same one you did? Thanks

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag

All settings can be found in the Factory Settings options on the head unit as well as the car settings menu for some of the less important items. The 'Climate' button on the HVAC unit work as it did previously. If I have the time, I will post another short video on some of the settings menus as well as some of the features of the HAL9K Rom and FCC Launcher.
Sponsored