2021 Civic Type R Limited Edition: Ultimate Track-Focused Type R Coming to America

Type aah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8, RS Megane R26, 911 GT3 RS 4.0
Country flag
It just makes sense for a 2 door 4-seater but seems a bit weird for a 4 door unless they also strip the rear door linings, internal door openers and window winders and replace the glass with fixed polycarbonate.
Sponsored

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
no infotainment? does this mean no speakers too?

and did they really take out the ac unit?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm pretty sure the US spec one will have infotainment still (as well as A/C) because cars are mandated to have a backup camera since 2018.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the US spec one will have infotainment still (as well as A/C) because cars are mandated to have a backup camera since 2018.
This is true. I forgot about the backup camera mandate. In the 90s for both the Acura’s and Honda’s, the air conditioning was dealer installed. It came in a big kit in a box in the trunk that the dealer installed during the PDI.

I recall a lot of San Francisco cars, not having A/C. People didn’t want to pay the extra $800-$1,000 for it. Even if it didn’t come with it. I’m sure it would be a standard Civic A/C unit, and could be added without issue.

They should make it an option when it’s ordered. Us big fat Americans, want our A/C.

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

They took out things people would actually want to retain a bit of weight for, then left in things they would instantly throw in a river to save a few pounds.

I don't know about you guys but I'd take a working AC over Honda Sight. Hell take out the backseats and give me the AC and a radio.

Car is silly because they didn't go all in or make it logical. Neat color but meh.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
They took out things people would actually want to retain a bit of weight for, then left in things they would instantly throw in a river to save a few pounds.

I don't know about you guys but I'd take a working AC over Honda Sight. Hell take out the backseats and give me the AC and a radio.

Car is silly because they didn't go all in or make it logical. Neat color but meh.
Yeah, exactly. They tell us it’s a hardcore track car, take out the radio, and A/C, but leave all of the collision mitigation crap on the car, so you can be warned while you’re eating an MFn sammich, cutting a hot lap.

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag

totally agree. when reading up on the limited edition, i was on board about weight savings until i read they retained honda sensing. hot garbage right there and something I'd immediately turn off or remove altogether.

Still, i kinda want one.

Type aah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's still got the new flicks stuck on front and rear that don't do anything except add weight too. The flicks, Honda Sensing, and fake engine noise were some of the reasons I decided to stay with my 2020 build, 2019 spec order rather than see if I could change it to a 2020 spec.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They should make it an option when it’s ordered. Us big fat Americans, want our A/C.
I refuse to buy a car without working A/C :nixon:

EAClarke

First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
How much does Honda Sensing weigh? Everyone complaining about it but I'm not seeing any numbers.

Type aah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How much does Honda Sensing weigh? Everyone complaining about it but I'm not seeing any numbers.
Even as an option on Euro cars I doubt Honda would ever have specified the weight. The new kerb weight of the standard car minus 5 lbs for two piece front rotors might give an idea but I don't think the kerb weight has been released yet. Whatever it is you won't feel the difference; it's the inappropriateness of nannies for dopes in a track focussed car that rankles.

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think folks would not be upset about Honda sensing if you could turn it off and the car rememebered that setting on subsequent starts. Turning it off every single time you start the car gets old really fast. I bet aftermarket will take care of it.

Fake sounds into the cabin, who cares, this is easily remedied, and it is the first thing I remove from any cars I get.

From an hpde standpoint, no matter if you have a 2020 or pre-2020, you still need to budget, at the minimum, for 18" wheels, tires, and camber in front and rear.

It would be nice if a race version came with camber adjustablility, up to -3.5 front, -3 rear or so. Other things, I do not care. The "specially tuned dampers" could support springs that are 50% stiffer and they would still be too soft for serious track work.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I'm surprised they didn't strip the rear seats like the Megane RS Trophy R. If there was any model to do it in, this should've been the one.
maxresdefault.jpg
Honda is playing the long game with this one.

Even though they claim they are not after the Nurburgring record with this car, they already know this car will do it. Predictive computational tools are now very accurate at determining the performance value of a given setup change in a race car, so Honda knew EXACTLY what they needed to get back the record. Nurburgring had a significant repavement job between when the original CTR set the record and the Renault did it. That alone appears to be worth 2 or so seconds, judging by some of the talk I have seen in other car circles. So combine that with a +100lb diet, and Honda already knows the LE will beat the Renault record. Just barely, but that is all they want.

Why is that all they want? Because they are looking at this market long-term. If they set the record out too far, then that makes it that much more difficult for the next CTR to reset the record. By moving the bar JUST ENOUGH to reclaim the bragging rights, they keep the target within reason. This is an old drag racing trick. Don't show all you have now. Set the record at this event by just enough to get the points, that way you can reset it at the next event and get record points again.
Sponsored