2018 LX MT hard start

UCPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX MT
Country flag
First post here so bear with me.

Car - 2018 Civic LX manual transmission, 95k km. Bone stock.

Issue - About 2 weeks ago I noticed it start to have a sluggish start in the morning. It's kept in my buildings garage and even when it's freezing out it's still fairly warm inside. Took about 3 seconds or so for the engine to finally crank so initially I think why. Megger test the battery and resting was 12.4V, while trying to crank it would drop in the low 11's, when it finally starts up its sitting around 14.6V. Swap out the battery for a new one. Starts up fine.

Fast forward a few days later and it's having that sluggish start again but it eventually turns over so I go on with my day. After work, slow to start again, get to the in-laws house to pick up my dog which is maybe 30min away down the highway. Park the car, go inside, chat for a few minutes, throw the dog in the car, start the car and nothing. Turn the key a few times - nothing. Wait a few seconds and tried again and it has the hard start but turns. Now if I turn it off it'll fire up right away but if left for a while it'll go back to the sluggish phase.
I've a few electricians at my work so one of them checked the new battery, load tested, checked alternator, but couldn't get to the starter. Naturally everything is fine while he's there.

So, what could possibly be a few culprits and where would you start at? The only times it wont start is when the cars been driven for a while and I try to start up shortly after. Clutch safety switch? Starter? Ground? Relay?

Order of sequence: shut car off, turn car on and everything lights up but the engine doesn't even attempt to crank and there's no audible noises coming from anywhere. Let off the clutch, press it in, turn key, nothing. Let off clutch, press in, turn key and it'll finally start to struggle but will eventually turn over after maybe 3-4 seconds.

I'd like to try to pinpoint it as best as possible so I don't give it to a mechanic for $90/hour and have them take their sweet slow time and spend 4 hours just troubleshooting.

TIA!
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
First guess would be the starter. When the car is running everything gets hot including the starter. If there is a bad solenoid or bad winding, it could get worse with the heat, but go back to normal when it cools off. I don't think a ground wire or clutch sensor would be that sensitive to heat.

OP
OP

UCPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX MT
Country flag
Thanks Calonzo,

The reason the clutch safety switch was brought up to me was since it's under the pedal and constantly going from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 3rd etc etc on highway during rush hour that it could just be faulting out and not registering from being constantly pressed in, wear and tear. I'm sure they'd know more about that than I would so I can only take the suggestions I'm given I guess.

Worst case scenario is I get the starter changed and it continues with the problem and have just wasted a fair bit of money.

Appreciate the reply!
Sponsored