First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hey y'all,

I have a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT. I've been REALLY debating on a tune for the past month and finally pulled the trigger. I'm in CA and do have a few concerns.

1) I only have 91 in my area. I usually use costco gas and occasionally fill up with shell 91. I've read about higher knock #'s w lower quality gas. I'm interested in hearing some thoughts about using ONLY 91. I'm not really looking to add the blend people recommend unless I really have to. :( I didn't really think of this too much until after I bought the tune and read more about the quality needed. I was under the impression 91 is minimum and enough. Now i'm a bit hesitant because I dont have 93 in my area. Only 100 and to me that's not really worth it anymore.

2) I tried going through GTmans's thread on reliability, but I noticed most people have bolt ons. (I wasn't able to go through it all). My car is completely stock bolt on free besides a Greddy Supreme SP catback. I plan on using only phearable's 1.5 map. I'm still a bit concerned about the clutch going out, but decided to just go for it anyways. Especially after knowing phearable's tune is known for being smooth and easier on the car. Any insight on that yet?

3) Hypothetically speaking... anyone with a tune in Cali? The emission thing is something I may or may not experience with. Hypothetically.. if it's stock. Will that be enough? I've heard people going as far as getting a new ECU.

4. The Non-si is known for weaker rods. I don't plan on pushing it hard at all, but could someone take the time to explain to me what to be careful for? Also why is it recommended to only "send" it around 4000+ rpm? and never in 5-6 gear.

Overall, I'm really excited about it still :) I really appreciate it if you read this far. Thank you!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
1. 91 can be used on "most" tunes but ideally 91 plus a gallon or so of E85 is more ideal to keep knock control stable.

2. Actually... a large portion of owners have nothing more than a tune and a drop in filter. That is the safest setup.

3. I can't speak to CA testing but a tuned car with cat intact will still pass most OBDII tests. My tuned car passed in Maryland. Hondata does offer a CARB Flashpro with certified tunes.

4. The hatchbacks do have the weakest rods but you should be fine with any off the shelf tune. The reason you don't want to floor it in an overdrive gear is that it stresses the clutch. Plus, honestly if you want some get up and go (like in a passing move), downshifting into a lower gear makes more sense anyway.

Don't forget to add your car to my thread.

Last edited:

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
If you get pulled over in CA just unplug your ktuner and throw it in your glove box or something. The tune will still stay locked in. If you have to smog down the line, just flash back to stock a few days prior so the engine relearns everything. As GTman said, if you want to play it safe just get a carb tune and never worry about it ever being illegal. It just won’t be as fast and rev hang will still be on since the part throttle is part of the emissions. It runs on 91 as well for hondata carb so you never have to worry about mixing in that gallon of e85. Either way, you’ll be fine, just don’t go WOT until after 3500RPM to preserve the clutch life. Map 1 on phearable will be enough if I’m honest. It brings enough torque and smoothness as opposed to the stock tune

OP
OP

AllureCynthia

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you get pulled over in CA just unplug your ktuner and throw it in your glove box or something. The tune will still stay locked in. If you have to smog down the line, just flash back to stock a few days prior so the engine relearns everything. As GTman said, if you want to play it safe just get a carb tune and never worry about it ever being illegal. It just won’t be as fast and rev hang will still be on since the part throttle is part of the emissions. It runs on 91 as well for hondata carb so you never have to worry about mixing in that gallon of e85. Either way, you’ll be fine, just don’t go WOT until after 3500RPM to preserve the clutch life. Map 1 on phearable will be enough if I’m honest. It brings enough torque and smoothness as opposed to the stock tune
Dang thank you for the input. I would go that route, but I really wanted to drop the rev hang :( .

OP
OP

AllureCynthia

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1. 91 can be used on "most" tunes but ideally 91 plus a gallon or so of E85 is more ideal to keep knock control stable.

2. Actually... a large portion of owners have nothing more than a tune and a drop in filter. That is the safest setup.

3. I can't speak to CA testing but a tuned car with cat intact will still pass most OBDII tests. My tuned car passed in Maryland. Hondata does offer a CARB Flashpro with certified tunes.

4. The hatchbacks do have the weakest rods but you should be fine with any off the shelf tune. The reason you don't want to floor it in an overdrive gear is that it stresses the clutch. Plus, honestly if you want some get up and go (like in a passing move), downshifting into a lower gear makes more sense anyway.

Don't forget to add your car to my thread.
Will do! Just waiting on it to come ^_^ Thank you for answering.
Sponsored