2018 Hatch w/Honda Sensing Cruise Control Issue

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic CVT Hatchback with Honda Sensing, Ktuner
I’ve got a 2018 Hatch w/Honda sensing having a similar issue as the surging but at a less noticeable degree. At 70 with cruise on it will slowly decrease rpm until it drops 1mph and then increase rpm to reach desired speed. This is on a flat stretch of road with no other vehicle in front. It is very hard to spot it if you’re not looking at your speed and mpg meter. I had a family member following me on a trip and they asked why I wasn’t using cruise control lol. So the surging issue hasn’t been fixed even with the newer 18s it’s just not as pronounced. Let me know if there is an update out for the 2018 that might fix this. I’ve got an appointment scheduled tomorrow with the dealership but I would like to go in with as much info as possible. Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got back from dealership. The tech was able to determine it was a problem and did a hard reset on the ECU. It’s working fine for now so we’ll see how long it stays. I will report back if the issue returns.

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A day later it has returned. Same issue drops 1 mph every 3-5 seconds. Going to take it back in.

ssjoeboe9

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-r FK8
Country flag
I haven't noticed any surging with my 18.. but I noticed that 1 click up on the steering wheel doesn't not = 1mph up. I checked in comfort, sport, and +R mode and it all functions the same. I clicked individually 11 separate times (about 5 sec between clicks), before I changed from 74mph-->75mph. I noticed that 1 click up increased RPM by about 50 (I felt it, and visually saw the digital meter move), however it slowly dropped back to the same RPM I was at previously. I tried double clicks (took 3 attempts before I change 74mph-->75mph), and I also tried triple clicks with the same result. Seems like the only real way to increase speed is by holding. I've verbally spoken with other civic owners and they have mentioned that they noticed the same. I'd like to gather more data to further my investigation. Anyone else notice this???

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't noticed any surging with my 18.. but I noticed that 1 click up on the steering wheel doesn't not = 1mph up. I checked in comfort, sport, and +R mode and it all functions the same. I clicked individually 11 separate times (about 5 sec between clicks), before I changed from 74mph-->75mph. I noticed that 1 click up increased RPM by about 50 (I felt it, and visually saw the digital meter move), however it slowly dropped back to the same RPM I was at previously. I tried double clicks (took 3 attempts before I change 74mph-->75mph), and I also tried triple clicks with the same result. Seems like the only real way to increase speed is by holding. I've verbally spoken with other civic owners and they have mentioned that they noticed the same. I'd like to gather more data to further my investigation. Anyone else notice this???
Hi Joe, I have not heard of this issue either on the forums. It sounds like both of our issues are the 1st reported so it will take some time before Honda takes notice.

ssjoeboe9

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-r FK8
Country flag
Hi Joe, I have not heard of this issue either on the forums. It sounds like both of our issues are the 1st reported so it will take some time before Honda takes notice.
Well I'm the right person, and this issue is directly affected by the group I work in.. Im correlating with Japan now to figure out the intended logic.

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I'm the right person, and this issue is directly affected by the group I work in.. Im correlating with Japan now to figure out the intended logic.
Sounds good. Let them know of my issue as well please and let me know what they say. Thanks!

Hauskuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB 1.5 6MT
Country flag
I have the same issue. 1.5 manual. It feels like the acc goes from 0 to 15% throttle instantly not gradually applying the throttle. This makes it feel very jerky especially behind other cars and down hill.

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any firmware updates for the 2018 Civics yet? I'm having oscillation with a stock 2018 Hatch CVT. The cruise will not hold at highway speeds (55-75 mpg) it constantly drops and accelerates on flat road with no one in front. I have Nav with sensing as well. Any idea what it could be? Would KTuner fix this if I flashed the ECU?

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have created a case and I'm taking the car back in this Friday. We'll see what they say.

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
Mine drives like it's retarded in acc. The other day it just hit the brakes HARD for no reason. there was nobody in front of me.

I can only imagine what the other people behind me are thinking when the car is constantly braking itself to scrub off 1mph.

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine drives like it's retarded in acc. The other day it just hit the brakes HARD for no reason. there was nobody in front of me.

I can only imagine what the other people behind me are thinking when the car is constantly braking itself to scrub off 1mph.
Mine will do the same thing. If someone is in front of me and moves into the turning lane and begins to brake my car will lock onto their speed even outside its lane and begins braking hard! Its extremely annoying.

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My cruise control still oscillates. I'm going to take it to a different dealership. The first time I took it in the tech took me out in his 2017 1.5 t civic and it did not do this, it held the speed perfectly but they could not figure out why mine was doing it. So I took it back again to them at a later date and a different tech didn't want to help and said it was normal which was not true because the other tech's civic doesn't do this! I know it has something to do with the software because if I'm locked on to the car in front of me it will hold the speed perfectly but if I'm on my own it will oscillate.

OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm updating all of my posts, My 2018 Hatch cvt cannot hold a steady 35 mph with the cruise on. The rpm does the same thing 100-200 rpm fluctuations until it drops 1 mph and then has to speed back up to reach desired speed again. It is really annoying and would be better if it held the speed because it is using more fuel by having to kick up the rpms again and again. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
IronBorg

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: I can get the car to maintain speed perfectly if I first use the accelerator pedal to reach the desired speed then engage the cruise control. If you engage the cruise control without the pedal/accelerator it will not maintain properly and fluctuate 1 mph every few seconds. I'm curious to know if they actually engineered the car this way or if I actually have a faulty cruise control module. Can anyone else confirm this on their civic?
Sponsored

Last edited: