ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Also you shouldnt just drop it off for them to look at and say it feels slow. You need to go for a drive with a tech, or go directly to service manager, the writers only relay the data and only the good ones really understand or know what the techs tell them or even ask them to sell. This is now a comeback issue so service manager should most definitely be involved.
Look on your repair order in the notes as well, any good tech puts in notes describing his work as most dealers only pay the techs based on their service notes, even tho in this case it’s a warranty job so it is locked at what Honda wants to pay techs for the labor.

Lastly you could request a senior tech or even bring it to another Honda dealer and describe what has happened to try and make an appt there instead. And if that dealer fixes the issue then I think Honda can charge back the time they paid the first dealer to pay their tech to “fix” it and instead pay the other dealer to pay their tech who fixes it correctly. (No doubt if this happens it does not go unnoticed either since the Honda warranty adjuster will likely be the one to tell them directly when he’s there, and if they lose it direct from Honda on a warranty repair then it looks terrible for for dealerships service stats/quotas and tech)

Good idea throw more cooks in the kitchen...
By suggesting he take it to another dealer, aren't you adding more cooks to the kitchen?

When you go back with the car, your complaint should be something along the lines of "after completion of fuel pump recall, car lacks power when accelerating from 35mph to 50 in 3rd gear." Be specific and try to state your complaint in a way that your it can be reproduced. Also, refer to the original RO.

Warranty repair requires notes. Especially if the tech spends more time on the job than the TSB allots. A tech could write "Prior to repair, removed various items from hatch and back seat area" and maybe get some additional time. A good service manager insists techs document repair, especially if the condition is unusual-for the same reason most dealerships photograph your car and accurately record your complaint. The idea is Complaint, Cause, and Correction are the three things that should be in all documentation.

Anyway, I received my letter today but had the work done just over a week ago. When I called to see if there were parts available, I learned they were ordered by VIN. One day turn on the parts and I dropped off Tuesday for the repair. Honda allows for a loaner vehicle for this repair as the repair takes approximately half the day. The reality was closer to end of the day. When I picked up the car, the smell of fuel was pretty prevalent after rolling up the windows-I texted my writer and was told to bring the car in the following day if the smell hadn't gone away-it had and is non-existent now. The odor occurs because they get to the pump through the interior. Overall, I was happy with the process-even with the smell. The dealership took responsibility and offered a solution immediately and followed up to be sure I was happy with the outcome.

One thing the letter says, and I've read it before, is that California residents will not be able to register their vehicles until they turn in some kind of completion certificate-in my professional career, I have no idea what that looks like so I'm not gonna worry about it. And I certainly didn't get one.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
It's fairly easy to do. Just the hose connections are very annoying. Or like my dumb ass forgot to put a hose back in its place so fuel gauge got stuck. But I did this at home.
Are you allowed to self repair this without bringing to a dealership?

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
By suggesting he take it to another dealer, aren't you adding more cooks to the kitchen?
Huh? In that particular instance I was referring to bringing it somewhere other than a Honda dealer.
I also was suggesting a few ways to try and resolve the issue while touching on service notes and warranty repairs as well?

But on another note....

Service notes, well lack there of.
Drive me up the wall!

Also notes are always required, if the tech can’t type or explain what he did he deserves to get paid exactly that $0.
Warranty or billable.
Notes are not only important for not customer, but to that dealership specifically and those at that location, Honda and the tech that worked on it.
Bad note takers are terrible and I deal with it on a regular basis, it can waste so much time, especially if you are doing something that has already been done.
I think a lot of times it’s that they don’t understand what they are doing themselves so how would they relay that to the customer, writer or manager?

“LOF Rotate” doesn’t count as a story either.
As a tech we only got paid for what we said we did in the notes as it should be, take the time to cover all your bases to make it a COMPLETE REPAIR.

Last edited:

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
No way Honda would ever let any consumer fix a warranty safety issue on their own vehicle.
A safety recall. Nothing to do with warranty work. I'm sure if you have already replaced with an aftermarket pump they wont force you to replace the pump.

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Am I the only 2019 that has no open fuel pump recall? I check the site every 2 weeks and still no recall.

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
A safety recall. Nothing to do with warranty work. I'm sure if you have already replaced with an aftermarket pump they wont force you to replace the pump.
It’s definitely warranty, how is it not. Plus it’s not customer pay and it won’t be going on the shop ticket, therefore the Honda dealers’ warranty adjuster will handle the claim

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I have no warranty. What your saying is I'm not eligible because I'm out of warranty then.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Huh? In that particular instance I was referring to bringing it somewhere other than a Honda dealer.
I also was suggesting a few ways to try and resolve the issue while touching on service notes and warranty repairs as well?
You said "Lastly you could request a senior tech or even bring it to another Honda dealer". How is that not "throw more cooks in the kitchen"?

But on another note....

Service notes, well lack there of.
Drive me up the wall!

Also notes are always required, if the tech can’t type or explain what he did he deserves to get paid exactly that $0.
Warranty or billable.
Notes are not only important for not customer, but to that dealership specifically and those at that location, Honda and the tech that worked on it.
Bad note takers are terrible and I deal with it on a regular basis, it can waste so much time, especially if you are doing something that has already been done.
I think a lot of times it’s that they don’t understand what they are doing themselves so how would they relay that to the customer, writer or manager?

“LOF Rotate” doesn’t count as a story either.
As a tech we only got paid for what we said we did in the notes as it should be, take the time to cover all your bases to make it a COMPLETE REPAIR.
You need enough notes to explain what you did as it pertains to the customer complaint. So if line 1 of your RO says "Warranty. TSB xxxx Replace fuel pump" and your notes say "Replaced fuel pump per TSB xxxx", you're good. If you had to empty the hatch area and that took you 6 minutes, you had better have the notes to support that.

Not my first rodeo. I have been both a service manager and a warranty administrator in addition to having gone through a number of warranty audits.

Now if you are servicing my vehicle and make me wait 45 minutes before you pull it into the service bay and then call me to get it 15 minutes later, I might have some questions about the quality of your work when the writer goes over the 65 MPI points but cannot explain why the radiator cap is an issue and wasn't addressed or how you managed to rotate the tires all while only one technician is listed on the RO? Probably not coming back.

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
You said "Lastly you could request a senior tech or even bring it to another Honda dealer". How is that not "throw more cooks in the kitchen"?

You need enough notes to explain what you did as it pertains to the customer complaint. So if line 1 of your RO says "Warranty. TSB xxxx Replace fuel pump" and your notes say "Replaced fuel pump per TSB xxxx", you're good. If you had to empty the hatch area and that took you 6 minutes, you had better have the notes to support that.

Not my first rodeo. I have been both a service manager and a warranty administrator in addition to having gone through a number of warranty audits.

Now if you are servicing my vehicle and make me wait 45 minutes before you pull it into the service bay and then call me to get it 15 minutes later, I might have some questions about the quality of your work when the writer goes over the 65 MPI points but cannot explain why the radiator cap is an issue and wasn't addressed or how you managed to rotate the tires all while only one technician is listed on the RO? Probably not coming back.
It’s still keeping it within the dealer records of what was done if going to the dealer. Standards are different at other shops (non dealer) where their “notes”word of mouth. If you do not like my analogy it’s ok.

Since you do seem to know enough of what I speak of with service notes then yes. Warranty pays a set amount so no description is needed, however you are also referring to other documents (tsb) that is included in notes, this is good. You can refer to that tsb or document etc to clarify further. It shows the ultimate in lazy without a doubt. When writing notes to, at least for me, I can think back through the repair remember key points to mention, those can be useful especially for me in the future or even to track like cars doing same thing or same issue.

Funny thing to is same tech will go to the writer for giving a poor description of the problem from the customer and then his notes: CEL replace cop #2.

I find this can be far more helpful outside of dealership work, I work on CNC machines now in manufacturing environments where repairs can take days to weeks to complete so notes with specs or status on items plus what may have been removed etc is there.
When you spend 2 days doing something after asking others if it was done, or what was done to find out it was is beyond a huge waste of time.

HoldSteady

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR - RR, 1998 Integra GSR
Country flag
Am I the only 2019 that has no open fuel pump recall? I check the site every 2 weeks and still no recall.

I had been checking the site and not seeing anything for my 2019 and forgot about it. But it is now my turn - there was a notification that arrived in the mail yesterday. I suspect it is only a matter of time for yours to show up in the system.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My 2019 29NNN notice showed up in the mail yesterday. After nearly 3 years I'm not in a hurry to get it swapped out. A couple of weeks ago I went by the dealer they VIN'd me and ordered the pump. Writer assured me the pump was in my name for my car. Hopefully I'll be able to have it changed before it dies.
But like I said, 3 years....I'd say it was pretty reliable up to this point.
I'll have to get a day off-no way I'm "leaving" it there, and have 1/4 tank of gas, and remove the seats before I go, AND a 12 pack of Dunkin Donuts for the techs, cause everyone loves donuts.

Last edited: