2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I guess since you ran the car while there was low fuel pressure, that could cause some issues with the fuel rail but if you got it replaced for free under warranty, that doesn't hurt. I am just surprised that you had it happen to your 2017 model, so much for it being isolated to the 2018-2019 models.

I'll have to see what the dealers are willing to do in terms of providing a loaner. I highly doubt they are willing to since they are only compensated a fixed amount for recall work and it most likely won't cover a loaner car since its not a multi-day job.
Sponsored

novaSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Got my letter in the mail this week. Called today and the dealer told me they don't have the part yet but would call me back when they get it. Don't notice any problems with my car but guess I won't be driving it for a while. Quite annoying.

With something like this I worry about ancillary damage to other systems that doesn't show up until long after the warranty expires. Any mechanically inclined people here care to talk about the risks there?
I had called my local dealer a few times over the past month. I was told by the people who work the service desk that the part was not in yet. On Monday I went to the parts department at the dealer. The parts manager checked the computer and said the part was available but it had to be special ordered . The part was ordered and arrived Wednesday . It is being installed today by the dealer's "Master Mechanic" (per my request)

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R CBP
Country flag
I guess since you ran the car while there was low fuel pressure, that could cause some issues with the fuel rail but if you got it replaced for free under warranty, that doesn't hurt. I am just surprised that you had it happen to your 2017 model, so much for it being isolated to the 2018-2019 models.

I'll have to see what the dealers are willing to do in terms of providing a loaner. I highly doubt they are willing to since they are only compensated a fixed amount for recall work and it most likely won't cover a loaner car since its not a multi-day job.
Yeah it all depends on the dealerships. I didn’t need a loaner since I was working from home when it happened back in April, it took about 2-3 weeks because of COVID and the parts were taking long to ship. I left the car there and got it back last week of April and so far it has been great. My car was stock when it happened.

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had called my local dealer a few times over the past month. I was told by the people who work the service desk that the part was not in yet. On Monday I went to the parts department at the dealer. The parts manager checked the computer and said the part was available but it had to be special ordered . The part was ordered and arrived Wednesday . It is being installed today by the dealer's "Master Mechanic" (per my request)
Thanks for the info, I called up parts department at the dealership and the part is arriving early next week and I have my service appointment set. Would have been waiting forever if I relied on the service department since they didn't know it needed to be special ordered.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I called up parts department at the dealership and the part is arriving early next week and I have my service appointment set. Would have been waiting forever if I relied on the service department since they didn't know it needed to be special ordered.
I called and they made sure the part was ordered. They ordered it on monday and on thursday it was there. It took the dealer 5 hours to complete. They suggested that the fuel tank was near empty. That's easy....

scottjua

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru STI, 2019 SGP Civic Type R
Country flag
Picked up the car today after having it done. Typical though, I called Monday... they said they had to order the part and it would be there Wednesday... so I said great let's schedule for Thursday, thinking that I'd give an extra day for typical SANFUs... take it in Thursday per the appointment... drop it off... and get a call saying they don't have the part.

So they overnighted it and got it today instead... and then finished it up. Mildly annoying, but I expected some baloney like that.

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
How difficult would it be to do this myself? Don't trust dealerships to do a good job.

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
How difficult would it be to do this myself? Don't trust dealerships to do a good job.
I would love to do it myself but the problem is that you need a dealer to complete the job in order to clear the recall status on the VIN. If you don't plan to sell the car or have to deal with registering the car again, then you are free to do the fix yourself or have a shop you trust do it.

B$$

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HONDA FK8, 2022 TOYOTA COROLLA HB XSE
Country flag
I had my fuel pump replaced under warranty yesterday. I called to schedule, and the dealer had the part in one day. I had my FK8 ceramic coated, so I insisted the paint not be touched after washing and detailing the night before, and the dealer obliged my request. All is well so far, and time from drop-off to pick-up was 4 hours.

I was inspecting my car and preparing to leave the dealership when I was approached by a gentleman who owns a SGP FK8 too. He had recently had his fuel pump replaced under warranty, and after driving around 30 miles, he went to fuel up, and the fuel poured out from underneath the car. He showed me the pics, and he was distraught with all of it. He had to have the car towed to the dealership, and he was preparing to take a loaner when the Tech pulled his car up in front of mine (two SGP beauties lined up that I failed to get a pic of :). The Tech, who also worked on my car, explained how the pump seats in place and wasn’t seated properly. He was beyond apologetic and clearly disappointed with the event and his part in it, and he took plenty of time to answer all of our questions and make sure all expenses and inconvenience of the other gentleman were accommodated. As mentioned on the thread, it sounds like the removal and installation of the pump can be a pain in the ……..

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would love to do it myself but the problem is that you need a dealer to complete the job in order to clear the recall status on the VIN. If you don't plan to sell the car or have to deal with registering the car again, then you are free to do the fix yourself or have a shop you trust do it.
True, mine is off the recall list now.

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
Just hit the list, I’m prob just going to take the seats out myself..one less thing to worry about.

guys do both the seat bottom and backing have to come out? Or is just the bottom sufficient for room?

thanks!

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
guys do both the seat bottom and backing have to come out? Or is just the bottom sufficient for room?
I took both out. Pretty sure the bottom and backs need to be out for access. Only takes a few minutes to remove and reinstall the bottom and backs.

And probably a good idea to have as little fuel in the tank as practical.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took both out. Pretty sure the bottom and backs need to be out for access. Only takes a few minutes to remove and reinstall the bottom and backs.

They mentioned that the tank should be near empty.

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag

thanks for the insight
Sponsored