Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Little op-ed article on what this news outlet would like to see improved on the 2016 Civic. Daily News isn't an authority on cars or anything, but thought it'd be fun to post this list and see what we agree or don't agree with :hmm:

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/10-2016-honda-civic-article-1.2337783

2016 Honda Civic: A linchpin of the Honda lineup, these are the 10 improvements we want on the next Civic

The Honda Civic is the BMW 3 Series of the economy car world. Often copied, rarely bettered, and largely regarded as the standard-bearer in its class.

Except the world is a different place from the days when the Civic was so obviously the best choice in terms of reliability, fuel mileage, comfort, and even a fun-to-drive factor. And it has been an even longer time since the little Civic was the darling of the aftermarket tuning crowd.

Weā€™re not talking about Civics with annoying aftermarket exhausts or mismatched alloy wheels of dubious quality. Back in the 1990s, this little Honda economy car sported double-wishbone suspension at a time when this impressive layout was primarily the domain of true sports cars.

Rev-happy engines and rock-solid mechanicals made the Civic a cheap car that didnā€™t make you feel like you were driving a bargain on wheels. This sterling reputation took a serious hit with the 2012 model year, however.

The anonymous styling could be forgiven; the Civic has rarely been credited with being a head-turning car. But a rough and noisy ride, outdated cabin, and engines that somehow lacked the sparkle of their predecessors gave the Civic ā€“ not to mention Honda engineers ā€“ time to pause. It also gave competition from the likes of Ford, Fiat, Hyundai and Kia, amongst others, time to catch up.

Improvements have been made, though nothing like the update thatā€™s in store once the Civic officially arrives in September. We got a hint of what might be in store earlier this year, during the 2015 New York International Auto Show, courtesy of the neon green Civic Concept.

Now, with the next-generation Civic just around the corner, here are the things we most want to see improved, added, or updated on this near-legendary economy car.

FUN STEERING

Hondaā€™s should be fun, no matter their price-tag. We donā€™t expect the new Civic to sport a fancy suspension like it once did, though we do want Honda to make the new version nimble and an absolute joy to drive. And no, we donā€™t want to have to press some silly ā€œSportā€ button to unlock driving pleasure. Other automakers do that; Honda should not.

BETTER FUEL ECONOMY

The Civic is popular because it doesnā€™t hit you in the wallet at the dealership, or at the fuel pump. We think Honda is going to emphasize economy with the 2016 model. What does that mean? Look for an across-the-range highway average that easily crests 40 miles per gallon, or about where the fuel-sipping Civic Hybrid now resides.

KEEP IT LIGHT

Nope, weā€™re not talking about curb-weight, or avoiding politics in polite conversation. The Civic has always had a very light and airy cabin, one thatā€™s extremely inviting and user-friendly. A large greenhouse (i.e. lots of glass) with good visibility is becoming something of a rarity in the car market, unless you step up ā€“ literally ā€“ into a crossover or SUV.

REV IT UP

Does anyone else feel like Honda has been focusing a little too much on hybrids? The CR-Z had potential, until it seemed like the ā€˜Fun Policeā€™ stepped in at the last second and turned this potential pocket-rocket into a sport coupe aimed at Prius lovers. Honda has promised a new 1.5-liter engine and turbocharging will be part of the 2016 Civic range. Good start, now make ā€˜em rev like they did in the old days (oh yes, and donā€™t forget that fuel economy stuff too). Hey, we never said Honda would have an easy job of it!

IMPROVE THAT DASH

Even after a round of improvements, the current Civic cabin remains in serious need of an update. Forget all the apps and other social media distractions that so many car companies are focusing on. The infotainment screen needs to be bigger and the buttons canā€™t look like they came from a Sony Walkman. Do that first, Honda, and then add all the tech frosting.

QUALITY WHERE IT MATTERS

Car buyers still kick tires, which is kind of dumb. They also rap their hands and knuckles on the surfaces they touch most, both inside and outside the vehicle. Thatā€™s not so dumb. Honda canā€™t repeat the flimsy feel of the 2012 model year, where the plastics didnā€™t live up to Hondaā€™s rep for quality. We donā€™t expect mahogany and chrome, of course. Yet the placement of high quality plastic and soft-touch surfaces could make the Civic feel a step above its price range.

DONā€™T EDGE OUT THE ACCORD

A new model year often means a higher price, especially when weā€™re talking about an all-new model. The Civic is still a good bargain, but Honda needs to keep in mind that it canā€™t throw in content and then boost the price to Accord-like levels. Please keep the entry-level models in the high-teens, Honda, and donā€™t let the loaded models breach $30K.

GET SPORTY

We nearly fainted when we learned Honda is going to bring back the Civic Type-R to the States. That nameplate is a legend in tuning circles ā€“ though the ones who remember it most are now more likely married with kids, rather than stealing a smoke at the bike racks. A turbocharged Type-R with upwards of 250-horsepower could do wonders for the Civicā€™s image amongst young buyers.

ADD AN AUTOMATIC TO THE Si

Okay, here comes the hate mail. While the Type-R has the potential to be awesome, it will also be pricey (at least for a Civic). The Civic Si should maintain the ā€˜affordable sportā€™ angle, though the addition of a semi-automatic would greatly increase sales potential. Yes, the current modelā€™s 6-speed manual is great and we applaud Honda for sticking with the manual-only approach. But times change, and so should Honda.

MAKE IT SEXY

We donā€™t expect Maserati levels of slinkiness in the next Civic. But we do want more of the daring exterior design Honda uses on the Japanese and European market versions of the Civic. The Civic Concept was, quite simply, one very sexy compact car. Even a smidgen of this style and bravado would go a long way towards helping the Civic stand out in the compact car market.
Sponsored

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
Hard to disagree with any of this and I think Honda will check all of these boxes with the Civic X, except maybe the bigger greenhouse. The profile of the roofline looks to be decreasing visibility, how much we'll find out soon. I also don't really care for an auto on the Si if it reflects a longer term plan to phase out your traditional manual trans at some point.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
I like that list. Don't think many of the members here would disagree with much of it. But reality might be that if we get nearly everything on this list, we won't also get the "DONā€™T EDGE OUT THE ACCORD" one coming true. of course I hope Honda finds a way of adding lots of content, performance, and styling to the car without adding price though. Fingers X'd.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Make sure they rev? yes please. Worst thing they can do is make it sporty on the outside and neuter the internals.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
"Fun Steering" - They need to put A LOT more feel back into the steering. It's video-game numb in the current models.

"Add an Automatic to the Si" - No. The article seems to applaud Honda for how they used to do things and at the same time tells them to change the ONE THING that they have done right since the beginning. Just no.

"Improve that Dash" - I really like the layout of the current dash. It's easy to read and gauges/indicators remain unblocked by the steering wheel because of the bi-level-ness.

"Rev it Up" - A turbo engine will never "rev like they used to"... they don't need to to produce a lot power.

"Keep it Light" - I AM talking about curb weight. Much like me, the Civic needs to go on a diet.

The rest I more or less agree with.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
Yea I am a little surprised they dont actually mean it needs to lose weight and size. That aspect of the car really COULD take a page from the past as it has grown a little large for my taste. Hopefully making it sleeker overall can make it at least look smaller visually if not in actuality.

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
Not that I care to see the Si get an automatic (I'm all for manual) but the article is right it would widen the appeal and audience for the Si model.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
1. Don't sabotage the manual transmission with a top gear ratio that will make it a buzz bomb on the road--killing gas mileage so that the fuel economy of the auto looks good in comparison. Give the manual a high top gear as high as the auto.

2. Make the ergos comfortable to tall folks--again! For 30 years there was always plenty of room in Hondas for tall people, and then around 2000 someone decided that only short people should buy Hondas.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
If they can hit even 3/4 of this list I'll be very happy. Rev It Up, Get Sporty, Make It Sexy, and Don't Edge Out the Accord are most important on my checklist.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
No auto for the Si plz.
Autos are already taking over. Honda could send a real message to enthusiasts by keeping Si manual only.
Sponsored