Autos.ca Test Drive: 2016 Honda Civic Touring

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So does this full-on 2016 Civic Touring with its new turbo mill hark back to the nameplate’s fun-to-drive days of yore? Kinda. It’s quick, handles well and the nose points into a bend like a Beagle on the scent, but it’s not the type of Civic that begs to be thrashed. No, this sophisticate arrives with near-Acura levels of luxury and kit, at a price that has my neighbor, for one, scratching his head.

Yes, it is a Honda Civic, okay?

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2016-honda-civic-touring/?all=1
Sponsored

Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
Nice review for sure.

"The engine feels strong, showing just a bit of turbo lag, but the CVT is tuned to keep the four in its meaty torque band, so under normal operation the drivetrain is smooth and quiet. It’s only when you really floor it does the engine drone, but at least the car is making good progress. Put the shifter in S (sport) and the engine spins about 1000 rpm higher, giving more instant acceleration at the expense of noise and fuel economy."

Curious if you owners have noticed a big difference in cabin noise in Sport mode?

thomasok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Black Honda Accord EX-L, 2003 Blue Honda Accord EX-L
Interesting and overall good review. However he says there is no Tachometer!? Excuse me, what is that big dial right in front of your face?

I also found this part in the side bar interesting:

Competitors:
Chevrolet Cruze
Dodge Dart
Ford Focus
Hyundai Elantra
Toyota Corolla

Seemed to me it needed another line: "None of the above"

Last edited:

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Nice review for sure.

"The engine feels strong, showing just a bit of turbo lag, but the CVT is tuned to keep the four in its meaty torque band, so under normal operation the drivetrain is smooth and quiet. It’s only when you really floor it does the engine drone, but at least the car is making good progress. Put the shifter in S (sport) and the engine spins about 1000 rpm higher, giving more instant acceleration at the expense of noise and fuel economy."

Curious if you owners have noticed a big difference in cabin noise in Sport mode?
I think he means that when it spins 1000 RPM higher it makes more noise, which is really stating the obvious :)

Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
I think he means that when it spins 1000 RPM higher it makes more noise, which is really stating the obvious :)
Lol yea I reread and think you're right. What a revelation :) I got excited that sport mode actually had an effect on the exhaust note smh.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree the list of competitors is weak. They realisically could be comparing the 2016 Civic to cars with a $2,000 to $5,000 bigger sticker.

LennyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic EX Coupe, '04 Mazdaspeed Miata
Interesting and overall good review. However he says there is no Tachometer!? Excuse me, what is that big dial right in front of your face?
Could it be that the 1.5L turbo Civics sold in the Canadian market do not have tachs? Otherwise, that would be a very curious comment.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Could it be that the 1.5L turbo Civics sold in the Canadian market do not have tachs? Otherwise, that would be a very curious comment.
Seriously...? I'm going to drop at least $25,000 on an EX-T in Canada and it'll come with no tachometer... Give me a break, I can't believe you would even question that... Go though the link and look at the pictures yourself!

Quite frankly this article lacks and credibility to it anyway. The author calls the top model "Civic Limited"...

gazzy644

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Seriously...? I'm going to drop at least $25,000 on an EX-T in Canada and it'll come with no tachometer... Give me a break, I can't believe you would even question that... Go though the link and look at the pictures yourself!

Quite frankly this article lacks and credibility to it anyway. The author calls the top model "Civic Limited"...
There is a tach but it can be turned off in settings.
Sponsored