First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
Country flag
Hey guys, first post ever on here.

so my car will only shift up when I let off the accelerator, unless I let off of it the rpm will continue to climb. Any idea what could cause this?
Sponsored

JonStewK20C2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX K20C2 6MT
Country flag
When was the last CVT fluid change? I've heard varying reports that a fresh cvt change helps with the "shifts" and noise. Has it been noiser or harsher in any way than usual? How many miles/km?

OP
OP
10th gen karl

10th gen karl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
Country flag
When was the last CVT fluid change? I've heard varying reports that a fresh cvt change helps with the "shifts" and noise. Has it been noiser or harsher in any way than usual? How many miles/km?
when I first bought the car used it was like this, so I did a fluid change and there was no difference, the shifts are smooth and no noise or anything it just won’t shift until I let off, I want to fix it so bad but I have no idea what to fix

OP
OP
10th gen karl

10th gen karl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
Country flag
Also the car has 145,000 km

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
🤔
Does it happen ALL the time or just when you’re at WOT?

OP
OP
10th gen karl

10th gen karl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
Country flag
🤔
Does it happen ALL the time or just when you’re at WOT?
all of the time and in every gear if I’m barely on the throttle it will just stay in the same gear unless I let off

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
all of the time and in every gear if I’m barely on the throttle it will just stay in the same gear unless I let off
Oh yea I’m sure that gets frustrating. Prolly need a diagnostic from the dealer.
good luck

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to take time off from here but I needed to respond. You do know this is a CVT right? Not a traditional automatic. There's only one variable "gear". At times it has a mind of it's own. It doesn't react and shift like you might expect.

OP
OP
10th gen karl

10th gen karl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
Country flag
I'm getting ready to take time off from here but I needed to respond. You do know this is a CVT right? Not a traditional automatic. There's only one variable "gear". At times it has a mind of it's own. It doesn't react and shift like you might expect.
I get that it’s a cvt, but let’s say I take off at a green light, if I give it throttle and I have my music a bit too loud the thing will go up to like 7-8k rpm and stay at a low “gear” unless I let off, I’ve only obviously let that happen a couple times before I caught on to the issue but even just being at 5-6k I’m sure something is going to get worn out faster than it should

OP
OP
10th gen karl

10th gen karl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic EX
Country flag
Oh yea I’m sure that gets frustrating. Prolly need a diagnostic from the dealer.
good luck
thanks for the replies, yeah that’s what my mechanic told me is to get the dealer diagnostic on it so they can see what’s going on live.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I get that it’s a cvt, but let’s say I take off at a green light, if I give it throttle and I have my music a bit too loud the thing will go up to like 7-8k rpm and stay at a low “gear” unless I let off, I’ve only obviously let that happen a couple times before I caught on to the issue but even just being at 5-6k I’m sure something is going to get worn out faster than it should
When you are doing this, how far down do you have the gas pedal? If I take off from a red light I can keep the RPMs at 3,500-4,000 all the way up to 70mph and then when I let up on the gas pedal, the RPMs settle in the 1,800-2,000 range. This is how a CVT works.

How fast are you going when the car hits 7-8k RPM?
Sponsored