oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
I’m also waiting for a case manager to call me as well. Seems like the low freon and compressors going bad are two common problems, but I haven’t seen any posts from anyone else saying both have happened with my car.

I’m not sure if the low freon in my car last year had anything to do with my compressor breaking this year but I just find it odd that my A/C worked fine for the first summer, then it stops working the second summer but And Honda tells me the freon was low but there wasn’t a leak. Doesn’t make any sense.

Honda wants $1,500 to replace the compressor, I took it to a local mechanic and he can’t fix it cause the newer A/C system uses a new type of machine to do the freon Evan and recharge. Not enough cars have the new machine yet to make it worthwhile for the independent mechanics to buy the new machine.
I am so sorry to hear that you are in same situation. This really sucks.

You know when I came home told everybody dealer charge $500 to recharge Freon everyone’s got blown away.

They dare to charge an arm and leg so I figured it must have been some type of monopoly that only the dealers has the tool (Although dealers set their own prices )
Sponsored

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Start complaining to corporate, I have, waiting to hear back
That’s what I did, and they pulled up the work order from when my car didn’t have enough Freon last year and they said there was no way to connect that issue to the compressor failing this year. And even if it was connected, they wouldn’t be responsible cause it was outside of the warranty period. But my thought is they knew these compressors were gonna fail so they just did a temporary fix to get it to last through the warranty period.

They said that if I wanted, they would have a case manager review my complain and talk with me about it. I doubt they’ll do anything but I guess we’ll see what happens.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I’m also waiting for a case manager to call me as well. Seems like the low freon and compressors going bad are two common problems, but I haven’t seen any posts from anyone else saying both have happened with my car.

I’m not sure if the low freon in my car last year had anything to do with my compressor breaking this year but I just find it odd that my A/C worked fine for the first summer, then it stops working the second summer but And Honda tells me the freon was low but there wasn’t a leak. Doesn’t make any sense.

Honda wants $1,500 to replace the compressor, I took it to a local mechanic and he can’t fix it cause the newer A/C system uses a new type of machine to do the freon Evan and recharge. Not enough cars have the new machine yet to make it worthwhile for the independent mechanics to buy the new machine.
My air conditioning worked the first 2 years now it just blows hot air. They're replacing my condenser soon so hopefully that fixes this issue

oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
I’ve found leaks on condenser. Does this look like road debris damage ? No warranty work?

Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working 993BD487-EF7B-4C45-8667-FA83154B8C68
Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working 2EF3CF5C-9A50-4DA4-A734-639A5D905815

Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working 90046471-66E2-4351-8578-5CD158130FCD

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Since I can’t find any local mechanics that have the new machine needed to evac/recharge the freon from the system when they replace the compressor in my ‘16 Civic I am at the mercy of my Honda dealer do it for $1,500.

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning to have the work done. I dropped the car off at the dealer tonight and when I went in they informed me they didn’t get the parts in (it was supposed to have arrived today). They said there is a backorder and it wouldn’t be available until June 26th. Of course they didn’t call me to tell me this.

Just when I was getting pissed that I wasted a trip up there and had to wait another month to get it fixed, one of the service advisors said they had gotten the part from another Honda dealer but had to pay the marked up price, they were just trying to resolve the issue of who was responsible for paying the price difference but that Honda has finally agreed to pay the difference.

The advisor said she was surprised they were able to get the part from the other dealer since it had a long backorder and that they should have kept it in case they needed it. Definitely sounds like this is a big problem with the civics since there’s a shortage of the part.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Is the AC in the 16+ civics just generally a weak part? Beside the forums, my friend's '16 Civic EX AC blew out within a year and they had to replace the condenser. Hopefully nothing happens to my '18.

Last edited:

ninja_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016-MSM-LX-6SP
Country flag
@oliviaiiii - my wife's car suffered the same fate as yours with the AC condenser. With hers a rock flew up and took out a section of the condenser causing a $1400 repair. Super bitter pill to swallow b/c the car is only 1.5 yrs old with an extended warranty and this was not covered [insert many expletive words here].

THE PROBLEM: condenser is located in THE MOST idiotic place protected my THE MOST useless grill ever...why would any competent engineer design and place a fragile part where all the road debris is kicked up potentially damaging it is beyond me.

I also own a gen X and to prevent another stupid $1400 repair and some much wasted time at the useless dealership, I've had to resort to modifying the useless front grill on both our cars.

THREAD: https://www.civicx.com/threads/modify-condenser-intake.1164/

Best of luck and cheers.

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Complain to Honda about this! I mentioned to corporate that my dealer told me to modify the grille to add protection. They advised against doing this. I told them they need to pay my condenser repair bill...we shall see.

crownjewels

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
I just got mine back from the dealership and they replaced the Condenser and everything was covered under warranty. They definitely put in the new part because it is shiny and new as opposed to the other one which had weathered in the past 18 months.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I just got back from the dealership after having my compressor replaced. My ‘16 Civic is well past the mileage for the warranty so last week my dealership quoted me $1,500 to have the compressor replaced.

Since I get this may have been related to the problem I had with my AC last year I contacted Honda’s corporate office. They put me in contact with a case manager. After a brief discussion he told me they couldn’t definitively link these two issues together so I would have to pay for it.

He said Honda hasn’t issued any tech advisories for the AC system yet so I asked him that since I had to pay $1,500 out of pocket to get this fixed if I would be able to get reimbursed if Honda ever issues a recall on this in the future.

Next part of the conversation totally surprised me. He asked if the dealer really quoted me $1,500 to have the work done. When I told him yes he said he had spoken to the dealer and Honda had agreed to cover a large portion of it even though it wasn’t under warranty and I would only have to pay $680 (didn’t even have to pay tax!).

I can as prepared to be told I owed $1,500 when I got to the dealership and was ready to put up a fight but surprisingly they said I only owed the $680.

They also emphasized how lucky I was that the other Honda dealership transferred the only backorder part they had in stock to their dealership since I had committed to having the work done a week prior. They said they must have had that part set aside for someone else but that person must have cancelled so they transferred the part. But the service tech basically said that dealership was stupid for not keeping it.

I also asked if the new compressor was the same as the old one and as far as she could tell it was a different kind so hopefully this one lasts.

oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
I just got back from the dealership after having my compressor replaced. My ‘16 Civic is well past the mileage for the warranty so last week my dealership quoted me $1,500 to have the compressor replaced.

Since I get this may have been related to the problem I had with my AC last year I contacted Honda’s corporate office. They put me in contact with a case manager. After a brief discussion he told me they couldn’t definitively link these two issues together so I would have to pay for it.

He said Honda hasn’t issued any tech advisories for the AC system yet so I asked him that since I had to pay $1,500 out of pocket to get this fixed if I would be able to get reimbursed if Honda ever issues a recall on this in the future.

Next part of the conversation totally surprised me. He asked if the dealer really quoted me $1,500 to have the work done. When I told him yes he said he had spoken to the dealer and Honda had agreed to cover a large portion of it even though it wasn’t under warranty and I would only have to pay $680 (didn’t even have to pay tax!).

I can as prepared to be told I owed $1,500 when I got to the dealership and was ready to put up a fight but surprisingly they said I only owed the $680.

They also emphasized how lucky I was that the other Honda dealership transferred the only backorder part they had in stock to their dealership since I had committed to having the work done a week prior. They said they must have had that part set aside for someone else but that person must have cancelled so they transferred the part. But the service tech basically said that dealership was stupid for not keeping it.

I also asked if the new compressor was the same as the old one and as far as she could tell it was a different kind so hopefully this one lasts.
Try file an insurance claim

josef104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
https://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-a-c-compressor-leak.24603/

All these claims of damage from road doesn't bode well. That is too many 2016 Civic A/Cs getting damaged by road debris. If that is the case, there is something wrong with the placement or protection of this part of the car from debris.
I think the A/C compressor/condenser on the 2016 is due for a recall. Time for someone to take it up with Honda if you are being given the excuse of road damage.
Sponsored