16 Civic AC Not Working

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
There is a thing called time value of money - that is how my investments come into play. I borrow money at 3%. I earn money at 8%. That means that I’m better to keep my money for as long as possible and earn 5% (difference between 8 and 3) than I am to give it up and earn nothing. The total purchase price is the same. I have a lower monthly payment but will fork out the difference between what I paid in lease payments and the purchase price of the car in 4 years. Since my lease rate and finance rate were the same and I have the cash to make the residual payment, I’m better to take a lower payment now than I am to buy it with cash or take a higher finance payment. Not to mention, when financing it you are paying interest on the full amount from day 1 versus the lower lease amounts. If the interest rate was higher than it doesn’t make sense but in this case it does. I’m an accountant and I’ve done the math.
no, there isn't. money does not have value.If you buy your car at the end of your lease you will, in the end, pay far more for it than if you had bought it in the first place. Why do you think new car dealers love leasing?? One more time; auto leasing is for fools.If you were really an accountant, you would know that.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
no, there isn't. money does not have value.
Money has exchange value, so it has value in the sense that if I have it in my pocket, It can do more for me.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Seems like this compressor issue is becoming a common problem. Im don’t know much about cars so I don’t know anything about how the compressors work.

Is it the type of thing that might gradually fail over the course of a year? Could a car being low on freon be a sign of a failing compressor?

Just ruining to figure out if my car being low on freon last spring is at all rested to my compressor failing completely this spring. Could adding freon to it last year caused it to work throughout last summer?

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda should recall the condensers in all cars but the warranty will run out so honda will save a lot of money spot fixing some cars over fixing every car

Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working IMG-20180519-WA0014

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda should recall the condensers in all cars but the warranty will run out so honda will save a lot of money spot fixing some cars over fixing every car

IMG-20180519-WA0014.jpeg
I want to know if it's gonna crap out again in another 2 years after they replace it. Are they giving us a better condenser or the same piece of garbage that came with the car?

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I want to know if it's gonna crap out again in another 2 years after they replace it. Are they giving us a better condenser or the same piece of garbage that came with the car?
I'm keeping all of my paperwork in case it craps out again so I can use it against them if I need to in the future

oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
I had mine in twice. The first time they changed the compressor. It blew cold for the first couple weeks and then died again. I called them and they said to bring it back so I took it in 15 minutes later. They said it was overcharged. They took some of the refrigerant out and it seems to be ok now. Hopefully this isn’t a recurring theme. I leased it and got the extended warranty so this won’t cost me anything but it is a pain in the ass.
Hi, do they charge you for the Freon recharge? I took mine in yesterday and the dealer found out there is no Freon in there and charged me $460 to recharge mine under warranty, they said AC is under warranty but not Freon.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
Hi, do they charge you for the Freon recharge? I took mine in yesterday and the dealer found out there is no Freon in there and charged me $460 to recharge mine under warranty, they said AC is under warranty but not Freon.
That is absolutely not right.

Even more confusing...these cars don’t use Freon.

Please understand, if the refrigerant leaked out then an ac component is faulty and needs to be replaced. In that case refrigerant is covered.

Last edited:

oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
That is absolutely not right.

Even more confusing...these cars don’t use Freon.

Please understand, if the refrigerant leaked out then an ac component is faulty and needs to be replaced. In that case refrigerant is covered.

Hi, i didn’t mean to sound stupid(might be true when it comes to cars)but that was what the service department told me yesterday.
Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working 8115F250-C41F-4402-A177-790E768055CD

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, i didn’t mean to sound stupid(might be true when it comes to cars)but that was what the service department told me yesterday.
8115F250-C41F-4402-A177-790E768055CD.jpeg
When I first went in to get my AC checked, they refilled the refrigerant free of charge and scheduled a follow up appointment 2.5 weeks afterwards so they could see if it would leak out again. The service supervisor at my dealership told me he didn't want to charge me for anything until he knew if there was a problem or not. Turns out it was my condenser which will be replaced under warranty so I never got charged for the refrigerant since it was leaked out due to faulty parts.

What your dealer is telling you doesn't make sense. If theyre saying the AC is under warranty but refrigerant isn't then how is it right to charge you if all your refrigerant is leaking out because of bad AC?

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
AC components failing have been a common problem for Honda/Acura since the early 2000's.

oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
When I first went in to get my AC checked, they refilled the refrigerant free of charge and scheduled a follow up appointment 2.5 weeks afterwards so they could see if it would leak out again. The service supervisor at my dealership told me he didn't want to charge me for anything until he knew if there was a problem or not. Turns out it was my condenser which will be replaced under warranty so I never got charged for the refrigerant since it was leaked out due to faulty parts.

What your dealer is telling you doesn't make sense. If theyre saying the AC is under warranty but refrigerant isn't then how is it right to charge you if all your refrigerant is leaking out because of bad AC?
Hi, thank you for writing all this.
So I’ve spent approx 45 mins in their waiting room then told by the service rep the mechanic don’t find leak, and his manger informed him to charge me $459 for the recharge simply because no proof there is a leak. I was upset and didn’t want to pay. I said tell me where have the “Freon” gone missing? Did you people sell me a faulty car with no “Freon” in there at all ever? Or did I suck them out? (He interrupted not possible you need a big machine to do so)or there is a small leak?? He just kind of sat there and looked at me.

I called Honda a day after this incident and they said it’s true the “Freon” isn’t covered while AC is( under warranty). They forwarded my case to a case manager to review and I am still waiting on them to call me back.

An attorney might be what I need next. I have a feeling Honda won’t do much to get my money back. Why do they have to be so greedy.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I’m also waiting for a case manager to call me as well. Seems like the low freon and compressors going bad are two common problems, but I haven’t seen any posts from anyone else saying both have happened with my car.

I’m not sure if the low freon in my car last year had anything to do with my compressor breaking this year but I just find it odd that my A/C worked fine for the first summer, then it stops working the second summer but And Honda tells me the freon was low but there wasn’t a leak. Doesn’t make any sense.

Honda wants $1,500 to replace the compressor, I took it to a local mechanic and he can’t fix it cause the newer A/C system uses a new type of machine to do the freon Evan and recharge. Not enough cars have the new machine yet to make it worthwhile for the independent mechanics to buy the new machine.
Sponsored