16 Civic AC Not Working

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shit, I hope this isn't the path I'm on, too. I'm not blowing warm air (yet), took mine in in March, but I only use my A/C if it's 90F/32C or higher.

I just don't understand how in 2016 a manufacturer can't even get such a basic concept reliable nailed down. Especially when all the electronic stuff *is* working fine for me.

Did your dealer give an estimate even though you were still under warranty? I'm thinking this may unfortunately be in my future later on this summer. My evac/refill was with literally 50 miles left on my warranty in March.
If you have already had it in, just tell them its a continuation of a claim that started before your warranty is expired. They can can still cover you. I do not have the quote in front of me but Ill see if I have it at home after work

What ended up happening? They just replaced the compressor? I just hope I don't have to wait long for them to get the problem fixed. Driving a car with no AC in summer weather is unbearable.

About the Accord. I get what you mean if we're talking about the 2.4 with the CVT. But I'm interested in a V6 Touring coupe.
Yes, I got a new compressor and all new hoses, basically a whole new AC system. The V6 Touring is nice for sure for power, I just feel the interior on the 10th is a big upgrade over the 9th. Can't really go wrong either way though.
Sponsored

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got back from the dealership. Apparently my condenser is leaking. Thankfully its not because of road debris damage so it'll be under warranty. Haven't heard of bad condensers in this car though. Most of the AC problems I read about are because of the compressor, so this problem seems new

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Just a 48 month lease.
One of the reasons people get leases is so they can do beat the car and not worry about it since new cars have already have the standard warranty. So it is a waste of money getting extended warranty on a lease.

OP
OP
rparkington

rparkington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
One of the reasons people get leases is so they can do beat the car and not worry about it since new cars have already have the standard warranty. So it is a waste of money getting extended warranty on a lease.
Unless you want to be covered for the entire period of the lease.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Realistically you should never lease a car for more than 3 years. More than that you probably should have just bought the car outright. Learned through bitter experience.

OP
OP
rparkington

rparkington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Realistically you should never lease a car for more than 3 years. More than that you probably should have just bought the car outright. Learned through bitter experience.
Depends on the circumstances. I leased with the full intention to buy it. Price was the same, interest rate was the same (rare, but true) and they rate was lower than the rate I earn on my investments. I could have paid cash but opted not to do so. I’m getting a lower monthly payment vs buying and save a bit of cash that I’ll leave invested before I make my balloon payment at the end. If I decide to not buy it then it becomes a stupid decision but I presently don’t see that happening. The total out of pocket is the same but I come out ahead because I’m investing $12K + taxes for four additional years vs writing a cheque year 1.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Depends on the circumstances. I leased with the full intention to buy it. Price was the same, interest rate was the same (rare, but true) and they rate was lower than the rate I earn on my investments. I could have paid cash but opted not to do so. I’m getting a lower monthly payment vs buying and save a bit of cash that I’ll leave invested before I make my balloon payment at the end. If I decide to not buy it then it becomes a stupid decision but I presently don’t see that happening. The total out of pocket is the same but I come out ahead because I’m investing $12K + taxes for four additional years vs writing a cheque year 1.
your investments don't have anything to do with it.A 401K is an investment. A car is not an investment, just as a flat screen TV is not an investment. Nobody who knows what they're doing leases a car. When you buy a new TV do you do so with the thought in mind of what it will be worth in three years? Of course not. You buy the TV you want and then you KEEP IT. Auto leasing is for fools.

crownjewels

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
Warmer weather has finally arrived in Southern Ontario and I found out today the AC on my 16 Civic isn’t working. The good news is I’m still under warranty and if it is deemed to be a road hazard that caused it, I can probably go through insurance. I know little about cars but after reading several forums online, I went out to take a peek at the radiator to look for obvious damage and found something that I’m curious about. While looking at the front of the car, there is a plastic part to the right of the Honda logo just behind the grille that I’m wondering what it is. Any ideas?

27CD6459-7F71-4499-BC88-D0093202F963.jpeg
Well isn't that a coincidence?
I turned my A/C on in my 2016 Civic and it was blowing cool air on the passenger vents but hot air on the drivers side.
Took it to the dealer yesterday and they found a small leak in the condenser so they covered it under warranty. The bad news: they had to order the parts and won't be in till later in the week. They topped off the refrigerant and restored the ac at least for now.
While I was there, there was a guy on line in front of me with a 2016 CIVIC - guess what? No A/C - same issue. I wonder if this is widespread or just we lucky few here......

OP
OP
rparkington

rparkington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
your investments don't have anything to do with it.A 401K is an investment. A car is not an investment, just as a flat screen TV is not an investment. Nobody who knows what they're doing leases a car. When you buy a new TV do you do so with the thought in mind of what it will be worth in three years? Of course not. You buy the TV you want and then you KEEP IT. Auto leasing is for fools.
There is a thing called time value of money - that is how my investments come into play. I borrow money at 3%. I earn money at 8%. That means that I’m better to keep my money for as long as possible and earn 5% (difference between 8 and 3) than I am to give it up and earn nothing. The total purchase price is the same. I have a lower monthly payment but will fork out the difference between what I paid in lease payments and the purchase price of the car in 4 years. Since my lease rate and finance rate were the same and I have the cash to make the residual payment, I’m better to take a lower payment now than I am to buy it with cash or take a higher finance payment. Not to mention, when financing it you are paying interest on the full amount from day 1 versus the lower lease amounts. If the interest rate was higher than it doesn’t make sense but in this case it does. I’m an accountant and I’ve done the math.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well isn't that a coincidence?
I turned my A/C on in my 2016 Civic and it was blowing cool air on the passenger vents but hot air on the drivers side.
Took it to the dealer yesterday and they found a small leak in the condenser so they covered it under warranty. The bad news: they had to order the parts and won't be in till later in the week. They topped off the refrigerant and restored the ac at least for now.
While I was there, there was a guy on line in front of me with a 2016 CIVIC - guess what? No A/C - same issue. I wonder if this is widespread or just we lucky few here......
Yep. Same with me. Condenser leak. Parts have to be ordered. It's weird because I bought the car in early March 2016. AC worked all through summer 2016, winter, then summer 2017,winter, now at the start of summer 2018 our cars AC decides to crap out. Makes me wonder what else is going to fail on this car in the coming years. I'm really glad I got the extended warranty.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Looks like my air compressor went bad as well. Honda wants $1,500 for parts and labor.

I am very frustrated. I bought my 2016 civic in 2015. A/C worked fine in 2016. In May last year the A/C stopped blowing cold air most of the time. Took it to Honda and it was literally at the last mile before the warranty was due to expire. They looked at it and said the factory just didn’t add enough Freon when it was assembled. I was skeptical but it worked fine the rest of that year.

Now it’s a year later and it’s doing the exact same thing. I can’t take it back to the previous dealership as I moved and that one is several states away. I explained to this dealership that I fee like it was never fixed correctly when it was still under warranty but they won’t do anything about it.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like my air compressor went bad as well. Honda wants $1,500 for parts and labor.

I am very frustrated. I bought my 2016 civic in 2015. A/C worked fine in 2016. In May last year the A/C stopped blowing cold air most of the time. Took it to Honda and it was literally at the last mile before the warranty was due to expire. They looked at it and said the factory just didn’t add enough Freon when it was assembled. I was skeptical but it worked fine the rest of that year.

Now it’s a year later and it’s doing the exact same thing. I can’t take it back to the previous dealership as I moved and that one is several states away. I explained to this dealership that I fee like it was never fixed correctly when it was still under warranty but they won’t do anything about it.
Contact Honda Corporate, explain the issue and see if they can help.
Sponsored