Cylinder 2,3 misfire. Multiple error messages. 15k after lower engine replaced.

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2014 Yamaha R6
Country flag
About a year ago my engine blew after a tech botched an oil change. Spent 1k to get a new lower engine block.

Now I get tons of warning lights and 2 cyclinder misfires. Took it into a different dealer and they replaced the spark plugs. Same issue. Now they want to replace the fuel injectors. Cost is about $1,300.

The engine blew at about 61,000 mi and this issue came up about 15,000 mi after.

A quick google search on this issue points to it being the known DI issue of combon deposites. The fuel injectors have about 75k on them now, is this normal wear?

Im highly considering selling my SI at a loss. I just feel like I got a lemon and want a car that is reliable.

I mean a Geneis coupe R Spec used is more fun. Hell my old Hyundia Tiburon was more reliable until it blew its engine at 140k.

Im not loaded, 1.3k is alot of money to me. Again the honda name is letting me down.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think you need to change your member name. Seems to be bringing bad luck.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean it sounds like the reliability was compromised by the oil change. An engine blowing doesn't seem like something that would indicate it will reliably last much longer no matter how you slice it.

But a genesis coupe or a used mustang GT wouldn't be a bad call lol. That was my dilemma when I was first looking for a car, Genesis or Si

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Same issue with my injectors. Same thing, blew my motor. Probably isn't a good idea to transfer direct injectors from a blown motor, is what I'm gathering.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Same issue with my injectors. Same thing, blew my motor. Probably isn't a good idea to transfer direct injectors from a blown motor, is what I'm gathering.
Are you the dude who blew his motor running flex fuel/meth injection with a big turbo? What's happening with your car these days?

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Since you mention the Genesis as a possible replacement - I would add a 370z to that list as well. Great ā€˜all aroundā€™ drivers car and they are relatively inexpensive since the platform is pretty old; regardless good luck with your decision.

One question - if the engine was blown to a tech error during an oil change - why is the cost out of your pocket and not the shop who did the job? (Unless I missed something in your original post)

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since you mention the Genesis as a possible replacement - I would add a 370z to that list as well. Great ā€˜all aroundā€™ drivers car and they are relatively inexpensive since the platform is pretty old; regardless good luck with your decision.

One question - if the engine was blown to a tech error during an oil change - why is the cost out of your pocket and not the shop who did the job? (Unless I missed something in your original post)
Because they wouldn't admit it was their fault. They got the block from honda and had to pay 10% , but really likely I paid the labor.

After looking at what I could get for it, my options arent too good at getting another car.

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So your motor blew, got it fixed, and then your injectors went bad?

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also is $1300 a fair price to replace fuel injectors?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So your motor blew, got it fixed, and then your injectors went bad?
Yuuup. Also no 1300 is discussting. The injector set is about 400. The replacement procedure isn't too bad.

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yuuup. Also no 1300 is discussting. The injector set is about 400. The replacement procedure isn't too bad.
Can I just do it myself? I have done ebgine work before on my sport bike. Completely torn down the engine and rebuilt it.

My concern is the turbo and di system. Are there any gotch that honda built into this engine that makes it so I cant do it myself?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Are you the dude who blew his motor running flex fuel/meth injection with a big turbo? What's happening with your car these days?
Haha yaaa.
Upgrading the fuel system at the moment so I can ditch the meth. I'll be throwing another thread up with the dyno results!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Can I just do it myself? I have done ebgine work before on my sport bike. Completely torn down the engine and rebuilt it.

My concern is the turbo and di system. Are there any gotch that honda built into this engine that makes it so I cant do it myself?
Nope, no gotchas. It sounds like you would be easily capable. Detach the manifold, disconnect the fuel rail and pop them out. Is the gist. Just make sure you properly do the seals for the new set.

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope, no gotchas. It sounds like you would be easily capable. Detach the manifold, disconnect the fuel rail and pop them out. Is the gist. Just make sure you properly do the seals for the new set.
K, came in early and got my car back. Doing it myself.

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
An there is no manual for this car?

So havent driven the car since I got it from the dealer. This morning started it to see how it is doing. Noticable vibration and rough idle.

The problems I can think of:

1. Fuel injectors. This is what the dealer thought.
2. Carbon build up on intake valves.
3. Fuel pump.
4. Fuel filter.
5. Coolant leak via head gasket leak. ( The block was replaced 16k mi ago. They could have done a bad job and not mated the block to the head. )
6. ????

So here is my approach:

Inspect the coolant and oil and sparks for any other clues.

1. Try to clean the valves with spray into the intake. I saw a few videos of people doing this and it helps.

2. Replace the fuel injectors. (Need the manual on how to do this)

3. Cylinder compression test. (Dont know how to do)

I got some tools and a nice torque wrench. Here is hoping I get this fixed this weekend.

I might get delayed if I need to replace the fuel injectors since i dont have them nor any gaskets I might need to replace.

Anything else to consider guys?
Sponsored