IAT1 and IAT2 question, which is usually hotter?

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
SO I started looking at my IAT values on a OBD2 scanner, and found that when driving IAT2 was always hotter than IAT1, but then when stopped at a light idling, IAT1 would be hotter than IAT2.
AT this point I just thought that the PIDs for each were switched somehow because I always assumed that IAT1 should be hotter than IAT2 because the air should be cooling down.
I'm trying to figure out what is the norm, my thinking is that the PIDs are correct and the inlet pipe is getting so hot that IAT1 comes in cold, then heats up in the pipe and cools down from intercooler, but still IAT2 is hotter than IAT1.
For example, IAT1 comes in airbox at 90F, then hot inlet pipe heats it up to 120F, but then cools down to 100F, and then heats up a little more after intercooler on its way to IAT2 and reads as 110F, Could this be a realistic thing that happens to stock CTR?
Sponsored

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When using Ktuner or Flashpro and reading the datalogs or the infotainment screen IAT2 is the temperature reading of the MAF located on the intake tube and IAT1 is the temperature reading of the MAP located on the intake manifold. When the car is not moving both sensor will get hot. When the car moves iat2 Gets cooler than IAT1.

On my car while on the highway iat2 is 3-4 degress hotter than ambient temperature and iat1 is 15-20 degrees higher than iat2

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
IAT 1 via KTuner is post intercooler. IAT 2 is the temp at the inlet tube. IAT 1 is warmer than IAT 2 for me. I usually get IAT 2 temps 4-7F above ambient. With around 15% throttle pressure at highway speeds I see IAT 1 temps around 13-20F above ambient. Keep in mind im basically full bolt on and running the Stage 1.1 tune from KTuner.

OP
OP

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When using Ktuner or Flashpro and reading the datalogs or the infotainment screen IAT2 is the temperature reading of the MAF located on the intake tube and IAT1 is the temperature reading of the MAP located on the intake manifold. When the car is not moving both sensor will get hot. When the car moves iat2 Gets cooler than IAT1.

On my car while on the highway iat2 is 3-4 degress hotter than ambient temperature and iat1 is 15-20 degrees higher than iat2
IAT 1 via KTuner is post intercooler. IAT 2 is the temp at the inlet tube. IAT 1 is warmer than IAT 2 for me. I usually get IAT 2 temps 4-7F above ambient. With around 15% throttle pressure at highway speeds I see IAT 1 temps around 13-20F above ambient. Keep in mind im basically full bolt on and running the Stage 1.1 tune from KTuner.
So with that being said, I noticed for my OBD2 that IAT2 was hotter than IAT1, which probably means that for OBD2 Pid values, IAT2 is after intercooler and IAT1 is intake inlet? And Ktuner switches these values. I just want to be sure because its confusing the hell out of me. lol.
And the reason why one is hotter than the other is because inlet pipe get very hot right?

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So with that being said, I noticed for my OBD2 that IAT2 was hotter than IAT1, which probably means that for OBD2 Pid values, IAT2 is after intercooler and IAT1 is intake inlet? And Ktuner switches these values. I just want to be sure because its confusing the hell out of me. lol.
And the reason why one is hotter than the other is because inlet pipe get very hot right?
What Intake brand do you have?

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You may have them inverted on the obd2 scanner. I cant really tell you becese its been more than year since I messed with one on the Type R.

OP
OP

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You may have them inverted on the obd2 scanner. I cant really tell you becese its been more than year since I messed with one on the Type R.
I didnt invert anything for 2 reasons,
1. I don't know how to do that
2. My dashboard value that I named IAT1 is the PID : Intake air temperature bank 1, sensor 1.
I named IAT2 the PID: Intake air temperature bank 1, sensor 2.

These are the only PIDs that have a reading.

I am seeing the trend that you guys said that the IAT sensor after intercooler is usually hotter than the IAT sensor in the MAF my intake inlet right after airbox.

so my conclusion was that 'Intake air temperature bank 1, sensor 1' is the sensor at intake inlet after airbox.
and 'Intake air temperature bank 1, sensor 2' is after intercooler.

So maybe I should've named sensor 2 IAT1 and sensor 1 IAT2, but in my weird logic, I always thought that IAT1 would be sensor 1 and IAT2 would be sensor 2, but it sounds like these names should be switched.

Is there a way I can test each sensor to find out which sensor in engine bay is which pid sensor value?? I don't want to disconnect a sensor and start car cause that could mess things up. Is there an easier way.

OP
OP

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No clue man. Cant help further.
Any chance you have an OBD2 scanner and can tell me which pid sensors are the same as Ktuner's IAT1 and IAT2?
SO if you see that sensor2 is hotter than sensor 1, and in Ktuner IAT1 is hotter than IAT2, then I can assume that sensor 2 is IAT1 and sensor1 is IAT2, and that sensor 2 is post intercooler, and sensor 1 is at the MAF intake intlet..
If you have one and have some spare time it would be much appreciated to help me out on this one.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have one yes. What specific phone app are you using?
Sponsored