IAT1 v IAT2

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I’ve started running the Hondata app on the HU I’ve been paying more attention to IATs. Just looking for confirmation that IAT1/IAT2 are reversed? My IAT2 always reads hotter than IAT1. I’ve updated the software to 3.0 on my laptop and FlashPro, but the flash on the car is still 2.9.7. Thanks.
Sponsored

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Since I’ve started running the Hondata app on the HU I’ve been paying more attention to IATs. Just looking for confirmation that IAT1/IAT2 are reversed? My IAT2 always reads hotter than IAT1. I’ve updated the software to 3.0 on my laptop and FlashPro, but the flash on the car is still 2.9.7. Thanks.
depends where the Sensors are... if IAT1 is pre Turbo and IAT2 is post intercooler then 2 should always be hotter than 1

OP
OP
WOPSiWOT

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
depends where the Sensors are... if IAT1 is pre Turbo and IAT2 is post intercooler then 2 should always be hotter than 1
Well, here is my confusion. Given the flow of air, you would think that IAT would be taken near the intake and IAT2 would be post intercooler. But this post from @Hondata indicates that IAT is measured at the intake manifold and IAT2 is measured at the air flow meter. https://www.civicx.com/threads/why-an-intercooler-should-be-your-third-modification.23373/

Then there is this one about the installation of a PRL intercooler, which indicates also that IAT2 is actually measured at the intake and was consistently higher than IAT1. https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-prl-intercooler-install-review.20971/#post-355545

The Hondata thread does say that their IAT2 (intake temp) is the lower of the two numbers, but the second thread says that IAT2 (intake temp) is the higher of the two numbers.

Crusing on the highway with an ambient temp of 65 degrees F this AM my IAT2 was reading ~96 degrees F and my IAT was reading ~82 degrees F. This is with a stock airbox. So which one is which? It seems like there is some contradictory information in the two threads above. Or maybe I'm just missing something?

If IAT is actually the post IC temp then the IC seems to be doing a reasonable job cooling (though the stock airbox is keeping things on the hotter side). This will be more significant as we get into the summer months. I'm trying to figure out if I am blowing air that is +15-20 degrees into the engine or am I blowing air that is +30-50 degrees into the engine? And should the third mod actually be an intercooler or should it be a CAI?

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Well, here is my confusion. Given the flow of air, you would think that IAT would be taken near the intake and IAT2 would be post intercooler. But this post from @Hondata indicates that IAT is measured at the intake manifold and IAT2 is measured at the air flow meter. https://www.civicx.com/threads/why-an-intercooler-should-be-your-third-modification.23373/

Then there is this one about the installation of a PRL intercooler, which indicates also that IAT2 is actually measured at the intake and was consistently higher than IAT1. https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-prl-intercooler-install-review.20971/#post-355545

The Hondata thread does say that their IAT2 (intake temp) is the lower of the two numbers, but the second thread says that IAT2 (intake temp) is the higher of the two numbers.

Crusing on the highway with an ambient temp of 65 degrees F this AM my IAT2 was reading ~96 degrees F and my IAT was reading ~82 degrees F. This is with a stock airbox. So which one is which? It seems like there is some contradictory information in the two threads above. Or maybe I'm just missing something?

If IAT is actually the post IC temp then the IC seems to be doing a reasonable job cooling (though the stock airbox is keeping things on the hotter side). This will be more significant as we get into the summer months. I'm trying to figure out if I am blowing air that is +15-20 degrees into the engine or am I blowing air that is +30-50 degrees into the engine? And should the third mod actually be an intercooler or should it be a CAI?
Based on that, IAT1 is part of the MAF sensor and IAT2 is part of the Intake, which makes sense, IAT1 should be close to ambient temp because thats the air coming into the intake, the air gets heated as it is compressed by the turbo, then it gets cooled by the intercooler before entering the intake. Basically you will never be able to cool that compressed air to below the temp of ambient air.

The stock intercooler does an okay job if you arent running a tune and in boost all the time. the benefits of running a bigger one is as you run more boost and stay it boost, it keeps the temperature in check

OP
OP
WOPSiWOT

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on that, IAT1 is part of the MAF sensor and IAT2 is part of the Intake, which makes sense, IAT1 should be close to ambient temp because thats the air coming into the intake, the air gets heated as it is compressed by the turbo, then it gets cooled by the intercooler before entering the intake. Basically you will never be able to cool that compressed air to below the temp of ambient air.

The stock intercooler does an okay job if you arent running a tune and in boost all the time. the benefits of running a bigger one is as you run more boost and stay it boost, it keeps the temperature in check
That makes sense, but still can't reconcile what is going on in this thread. https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-prl-intercooler-install-review.20971/page-2#post-356082

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
So to figure out which sensor is which: which ever IAT sensor is warmer is the one at intake manifold and the cooler one is intake inlet right after airbox.?

lucax

First Name
Luca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10 1.5 turbo sport
Country flag
So to figure out which sensor is which: which ever IAT sensor is warmer is the one at intake manifold and the cooler one is intake inlet right after airbox.?
yes IAT is warmer but because measuring the plastic temperature :) at maf, I think you have to forget this indicator... is not the real air intake temp. Or may be can be more real during runs at high velocity

Nigel_FC1_DK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T
Country flag
My IAT2 was 8-12'C higher than IAT before i installed my IC, Now they are close to even +/-3'C When i push some boost IAT2 goes UP and IAT stays flat. That is what i experienced during my tests.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
IAT1 is post intercooler so it will be higher than IAT2, since i got CAI and rev9 intercooler sometime on full WOT i do see both IAT showing same temp like 5-10c degree over ambient

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
My IAT1 was always hotter than my IAT2 with the stock intercooler, but with the PRL Intercooler and CAI in the IAT1 is often lower then IAT2 unless they hit over like 120 degrees F.

Last edited:

bennylopez_32

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White Si Coupe
Country flag
Ok so to have a straight answer, which is which? Cai drops which one and intercooler drops which one? Where are the sensors located?
or are we still unsure if its reversed or not? On hondata with both prl ic and cai and didnt look at my numbers till now

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok so to have a straight answer, which is which? Cai drops which one and intercooler drops which one? Where are the sensors located?
or are we still unsure if its reversed or not? On hondata with both prl ic and cai and didnt look at my numbers till now
on hondata its reversed of ktuner, IAT1 is measured in the intake manifold (post intercooler) and iat2 is temp of intake (afm)

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
on hondata its reversed of ktuner, IAT1 is measured in the intake manifold (post intercooler) and iat2 is temp of intake (afm)
This must be true of ktuner also? Prl Sri and rev 9 ic, My temp is 20* higher on IAT1. Like 90f IAT2, 110f IAT1

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This must be true of ktuner also? Prl Sri and rev 9 ic, My temp is 20* higher on IAT1. Like 90f IAT2, 110f IAT1
get PRL cobra CAI, SRI doesnt help much in cooling down IAT.
Sponsored

Last edited: