2.0L K20 Turbo kit?

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
The K series motors are great motors, and I was surprised to hear that Honda used it for the base motor. Much better than boring out the R18, right?? So maybe we will see turbo kits at some point for the base 2.0.
If/when they make the manual available for more than just the LX model, I think we'll eventually see some turbo kits become available for the base 2016 Civics. But if they leave it at just the LX model having manual, there's just not going to be enough interest or owners out there who would possibly be interested enough in a turbo for anyone to develop one.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Neutralomen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camry LE
Forgive how crude this is. I just threw it together in photoshop really quickly. I just wanted to illustrate what I mean by "focus grouped" and what I wish the accord coupe looked like.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L K20 Turbo kit? LUWzaeA

The top is the original obviously, and the bottom is my very quick hack job. The reason i think the accord coupe looks stuffy and awkward has almost everything to do with it being focus grouped to hell.

-it's too high off the ground, which throws off the proportions, but of course, it needs to not bottom out on suburban curbs. I lowered the suspension, which I think makes a big difference.
-The trunk is too long, which proportionally makes it "hang off the back" and look awkward. This is almost certainly due to the compteting trunk sizes in the segment. I gave it a shorter butt.
-The "fastback" slopes too steeply into a flat trunk lid which ends up in no man's land. This is doubtless due to headroom issues in the rear seats. I gave it a true, committed fastback.
-The roof and windows sit too high on the body, which makes the proportion too tall. This is probably more headroom issues. I sank the roof and windows deeper into the body.
-The last one is a preference thing. I think a teardrop rear side window flows a lot better than that abrupt wedge shape.

And what do you know? I noticed in making these changes, that modified accord coupe looks a lot like the profile of the outgoing civic coupe. It makes me feel like the civic coupe is what Honda wanted to make but couldn't for commercial reasons. This is also why ferraris and jaguars have more uncompromised proportions. If you're too fat to fit, that's your problem, not the car designers'. That's the inherent problem with consumer cars. Even the sporty ones get pretty mangled by the market demands.

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Forgive how crude this is. I just threw it together in photoshop really quickly. I just wanted to illustrate what I mean by "focus grouped" and what I wish the accord coupe looked like.

The top is the original obviously, and the bottom is my very quick hack job. The reason i think the accord coupe looks stuffy and awkward has almost everything to do with it being focus grouped to hell.

-it's too high off the ground, which throws off the proportions, but of course, it needs to not bottom out on suburban curbs. I lowered the suspension, which I think makes a big difference.
-The trunk is too long, which proportionally makes it "hang off the back" and look awkward. This is almost certainly due to the compteting trunk sizes in the segment. I gave it a shorter butt.
-The "fastback" slopes too steeply into a flat trunk lid which ends up in no man's land. This is doubtless due to headroom issues in the rear seats. I gave it a true, committed fastback.
-The roof and windows sit too high on the body, which makes the proportion too tall. This is probably more headroom issues. I sank the roof and windows deeper into the body.
-The last one is a preference thing. I think a teardrop rear side window flows a lot better than that abrupt wedge shape.

And what do you know? I noticed in making these changes, that modified accord coupe looks a lot like the profile of the outgoing civic coupe. It makes me feel like the civic coupe is what Honda wanted to make but couldn't for commercial reasons. This is also why ferraris and jaguars have more uncompromised proportions. If you're too fat to fit, that's your problem, not the car designers'. That's the inherent problem with consumer cars. Even the sporty ones get pretty mangled by the market demands.
And look how similar your version is from the B-pillar back to the Civic Coupe's design. :D

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I prefer the unmolested Accord to the PS effort. Let's not chide Honda for maintaining differences between two different models...why should they look the same?? I like the 3 box style of the Accord. I like that the Civic has a different style. Different is good!

OP
OP

Neutralomen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camry LE
I prefer the unmolested Accord to the PS effort. Let's not chide Honda for maintaining differences between two different models...why should they look the same?? I like the 3 box style of the Accord. I like that the Civic has a different style. Different is good!
I just wanted to demonstrate visually my reasons for not being crazy about it. I will say the new Accord couple looks great from front/front three quarters. I'd say its worst angles are profile and rear.

DougNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback 3.6R, F150 3.5TT
Country flag
If/when they make the manual available for more than just the LX model, I think we'll eventually see some turbo kits become available for the base 2016 Civics. But if they leave it at just the LX model having manual, there's just not going to be enough interest or owners out there who would possibly be interested enough in a turbo for anyone to develop one.
I think we're more likely to see turbo kits available for the 2.0L manual if there isn't a manual offered on the 1.5T.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
First of all, hello, everyone!

Second, I had a bit of query.

I'm heavily considering the 2016 civic. I'm so happy to see what they've done with it. My options aside from that have been the V6 camry, or the V6 Accord. I've been piddling around with a little four banger from 2004, and I really want an efficient commuter car with at least 200 hp. The V6 camry/accords are too stuffy, too "focus-grouped" in their styling. This 2016 coupe is actually not afraid to look like a Japanese, sporty coupe. I feel like the 80s all over again.

My concern is, the 1.5 turbo is still just 174, which is around the current 4 cyllinder Camry numbers, and it's only negligibly lighter than the camry(the coupe might shave off another few pounds), and I still find that pretty sluggish. I know the torque is significant, but I'd really like some headroom and low-midrange beef so I can finally climb frikkin hills without weezing!

I also don't drive manual, and the current si only comes in manual. It stands to reason the forthcoming si will also be manual only.

This leaves me with the option of an aftermarket turbo kit for the 2.0. Is that a good option? Will that be as "solid" and reliable as a factory turbo? Is a better option to "superturbo" the 1.5 with a supercharger? Or replace it with a larger turbo?

tl;dr, I'd really like a 200+HP automatic civic coupe that functions as a daily driver that's a little naughty. What's the best course of action?

Is anyone else thinking of a turbo kit for the 2.0?
You could just get a 1.5 turbo version and put an intake on it. It makes it to 203 hp

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
You could just get a 1.5 turbo version and put an intake on it. It makes it to 203 hp
Please show undisputed proof of this. No one has proven anything about the intake. It is a typical rice mod, fools the butt dyno with placebo effect sounds.

@takemorepills Why shouldn't you boost a CVT transmission? Too weak to handle boost?
technically you can. But the problem with turbo motors is that usually mods like a tune or downpipe lead to such big gains that you will certainly exceed the limits of any CVT. There is no way Honda has blessed the Civic with a CVT that can handle typical turbo motor mods.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
@takemorepills The WRX is offered with a CVT btw...wonder how much beefier it is compared to ours.
Yes I considered that car. A few people have tuned to Stage 1, but they won't post dyno or track times. Most people won't consider a tune above Stage 1. Also, Subaru markets the WRX CVT as "heavy duty".
I wanted an AT tuner car, but the WRX CVT hasn't been proven to be very tough (because no one wants to push too hard) so I ended up with a DSG GTI for now over 300 whp with $800 in parts and no worries about transmission durability.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
Yes I considered that car. A few people have tuned to Stage 1, but they won't post dyno or track times. Most people won't consider a tune above Stage 1. Also, Subaru markets the WRX CVT as "heavy duty".
I wanted an AT tuner car, but the WRX CVT hasn't been proven to be very tough (because no one wants to push too hard) so I ended up with a DSG GTI for now over 300 whp with $800 in parts and no worries about transmission durability.

This your first VW man? :rofl:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
This your first VW man? :rofl:
Ah yes, take the easy jab.

So far the GTI line for 2015+ is more reliable and less likely to be in the service department than the CivicX. Don't throw rocks in your glass house.

Or, better yet, throw a 70+ HP tune on your CVT 1.5T, and come race my DSG. It won't even be a race because your CVT will grenade itself on the spot.

Now, isn't this a thread about tuning potential of the 1.5T? I think I brought something useful to the thread, seems you want to take cheap jabs at my choice in cars. That's fine. Not only am I enjoying a super reliable, quick car, but I am able to mod it without worry. You guys on the other hand have to fret over whether or not the 1.5T CVT can handle any mods. Why even bother?

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
Ah yes, take the easy jab.

So far the GTI line for 2015+ is more reliable and less likely to be in the service department than the CivicX. Don't throw rocks in your glass house.

Or, better yet, throw a 70+ HP tune on your CVT 1.5T, and come race my DSG. It won't even be a race because your CVT will grenade itself on the spot.

Now, isn't this a thread about tuning potential of the 1.5T? I think I brought something useful to the thread, seems you want to take cheap jabs at my choice in cars. That's fine. Not only am I enjoying a super reliable, quick car, but I am able to mod it without worry. You guys on the other hand have to fret over whether or not the 1.5T CVT can handle any mods. Why even bother?

Woof, calm down sparky! It was just a joke...

I don't have a 1.5T, I prefer 1.6, 1.8, and 5.0 Turbo's for now ;)

This thread is about adding a turbo to the K20C2*, not the 1.5T.

*Edit: Put C1, was dumb, changed to C2

**Edit: I'd also like to know what knowledge you have that proves the CVT can't hold a 70+ hp increase. You're so quick to dismiss the intake gains yet are omniscient when it comes to the 1.5T CVT Limits?
Sponsored

Last edited: