Rain sensing wipers: really that bad?

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So I am in the market for another used civic(2016-2018) after my 2016 Civic EX was totaled two weeks. However, this time around I want the 1.5 Turbo so it has to be EX-T or higher. Unfortunately, EX-T sees to vary in the condition in my area. However, I found some "deals" on Tourings. However, I was avoiding it because I hear the rain sensing wipers are annoying and I don't like hot leather. Honestly, from a search it sounds like the rain sensing wipers are really that bad. Is there any way to use them manually?
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Auto, intermittent, low, high. Just don’t choose auto.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Auto, intermittent, low, high. Just don’t choose auto.
There is no intermittent with rain-sensing wipers. That's the point of rain sensors. To the OP: yeah, they are that bad. They work fine if there is a decent amount of rain coming down. It's when the rain is very light/misting that my car has issues. Someone posted a procedure to convert them to regular intermittent. I haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it causes other problems or not.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Yes, in light rain they either work great or go into hyper drive. Really annoying.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Two things to note: you can turn the sensitivity all the way down on the rotating thingie on the stalk, so it won't be aggressive, hopefully alleviating the crazy wiping action a bit.

The second (and more important) bit is: keep the wiper blades clean at all times. As dust and sand build up on the resting wiper blades, they can leave tiny streaks of water in the blades' wake, which can trigger the sensitive water sensor. So just remove the blades from the glass and run a clean tissue over the rubber blades to make sure they are as effective as can be.

Yeah it's a bit of a hassle, but that's the way it is...

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got no problem with my rain sensing wipers.
It’s a different method of operation is all the difference is.
The delay you choose isn’t a time increment, it’s the amount of water that sits on the glass before the car wipes.
I have mine set to the maximum and it works fine for me.

Sunbeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Never bothered me, sometimes it spazzes and goes hyperspeed but its only for a second. Doesn't really make me want to choose any other civic over it.

OP
OP

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Thanks all. I went with a Civic EX instead of a Touring. I'd rather not be annoyed with something so important and in regular use such as wipers and I didn't want leather.
Sponsored