Is there any way to turn off rain sensing wipers?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Wonder how much trouble it would be to install wipers from a non-Touring?
The first problem is knowing which controller does the magic and how that controller knows to do it. Wonder what happens if the sensor is just unplugged? I bet the stalk control does not revert to standard variable intermittent.

Having had far better rain sensing wipers on a 2009 BMW 1-series, I still suspect a Honda software issue.
Sponsored

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
The first problem is knowing which controller does the magic and how that controller knows to do it. Wonder what happens if the sensor is just unplugged? I bet the stalk control does not revert to standard variable intermittent.

Having had far better rain sensing wipers on a 2009 BMW 1-series, I still suspect a Honda software issue.
I would guess there's some kind of controller box for it under the dash, which shouldn't be a big deal to swap. There's at least once parts guy on this forum, but I can't remember who they are. Maybe they'd look it up.
Also it doesn't seem it would work without the correct stalk, which would require pulling the steering wheel to swap.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would guess there's some kind of controller box for it under the dash, which shouldn't be a big deal to swap
The controllers are integrated into multi-function boxes. I've perused the parts catalog enough to be pretty confident that there is not a dedicated "wiper controller". Maybe it's this one? If these integrated controllers are common to rain sense and non rain sense cars (parts catalog suggests that one is--edit: scratch that. they're different.), how does the controller know which model its in? By finding the sensor out on the CANbus? (edit: oh, and parts catalog also leads me to believe you could change the stalk without pulling the steering wheel. All of this swapping parts stuff ignores very real possibility of different harnesses. Most all the harnesses are different from trim to trim.)

Personally, I'd much rather they made it work better than disable it.

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
The controllers are integrated into multi-function boxes. I've perused the parts catalog enough to be pretty confident that there is not a dedicated "wiper controller". Maybe it's this one? If these integrated controllers are common to rain sense and non rain sense cars (parts catalog suggests that one is--edit: scratch that. they're different.), how does the controller know which model its in? By finding the sensor out on the CANbus? (edit: oh, and parts catalog also leads me to believe you could change the stalk without pulling the steering wheel. All of this swapping parts stuff ignores very real possibility of different harnesses. Most all the harnesses are different from trim to trim.)

Personally, I'd much rather they made it work better than disable it.
It says it's rewritable. Too bad someone can't hack it like the ECU.
I had to pull the wheel on my old '87 Nissan to change the stalk, so that's a nice change.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
So you're saying people should give up the following just to get basic wipers:

-LED headlights
-Navigation
-Higher quality interior
-More powerful and more fuel efficient engine
-17 inch wheels in place of gross steelies and hubcaps
-7 inch head unit and LCD intrument cluster
-Better audio
-etc

Lmao. Okay then. I think if a potential Touring buyer hated auto-wipers that much they'd just opt for an EX-T or EX-L and not a bare-bones appliance like the LX
Well, just pointing out an option. And don't forget the $thousands$ less.

If any or all that stuff is important enough for you, and you don't mind the higher cost, then of course that's your choice. It wasn't for me. Other benefits also, like a real volume control knob and no infotainment headaches.

To each his or her own ...

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It says it's rewritable. Too bad someone can't hack it like the ECU.
I have little doubt somebody could hack it if they wanted to, it's just not anywhere near as attractive to go after as, say, the PCM. If somebody though they could do something really "rice" by reprogramming the body control unit (train the lights to pulse with the beat of the subwoofer?), I'm sure they would try.

But which program would you rewrite it with? (There probably isn't a program available for configuration "Touring without Rain Sense".) And is the hardware otherwise different from the one in, say, a EX-T?

The days of these kinds of hacks being simple disappeared when the put lots of microprocessors and lots of multiplexed communications buses in cars.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I have little doubt somebody could hack it if they wanted to, it's just not anywhere near as attractive to go after as, say, the PCM. If somebody though they could do something really "rice" by reprogramming the body control unit (train the lights to pulse with the beat of the subwoofer?), I'm sure they would try.

But which program would you rewrite it with? (There probably isn't a program available for configuration "Touring without Rain Sense".) And is the hardware otherwise different from the one in, say, a EX-T?

The days of these kinds of hacks being simple disappeared when the put lots of microprocessors and lots of multiplexed communications buses in cars.
No doubt. That's why I said too bad someone can't. Possible, but not gonna happen.
I guess someone would have to figure out how the control modules are different between models.

mikeshin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well after reading this post, I know that my rain-sensing wipers have a problem.... it's not like everyone else's here, but mine rather chooses to be an intermittent wipers instead of automatic. The sensitivity knob only changes the speed, but the wipers never change speed automatically. So mine is a Touring with intermittent settings, lacking the auto function LOL

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Well after reading this post, I know that my rain-sensing wipers have a problem.... it's not like everyone else's here, but mine rather chooses to be an intermittent wipers instead of automatic. The sensitivity knob only changes the speed, but the wipers never change speed automatically. So mine is a Touring with intermittent settings, lacking the auto function LOL
I think some here would say that's preferred and you're lucky. :D

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had my car at the dealer today for an oil change, state inspection and summer tire installation. As long as I was there, I asked them to check the wipers. When they work properly, they are great. But they don't always work properly. Sometimes with very little rain they are going full blast and other times with a lot of rain not swiping at all. So, I was told they couldn't reproduce the problem. I'm wondering how they tried because it looked to me like the wipers had not been used. The windshield was clean (I had just washed/waxed/detailed the car)...no water spots. I would assume in order to test the wipers they would have to spray some water on the windshield...wouldn't that be correct? Is there any other way to test them?

reheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
My wipers are still all over the place. Some days they work exactly as they should... Other days they go full out with just a few drops of rain. The strip replacement definitely helped however I think as a system the auto sensing wipers on this car are just not that good.

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
..... the lack of a volume knob....
I need someone to explain this concern to me which I have read about many times....but I don't get it. My previous car (an Acura) had a physical volume control knob, but I NEVER used it. I used the + / - rocker switches on the steering wheel, which were much more convenient and easy to reach.
Now on the 10th gen Civic, we have at least 3 ways to change the volume...2 of them on the steering wheel.... + / - switches, and with 'gestures' on the ribbed touchpad.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is there any way to turn off rain sensing wipers? upload_2017-4-15_20-52-36

Why would anyone need or want a physical volume knob?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why would anyone need or want a physical volume knob?
We don't really want to go there in this thread. There's another thread for that. Lots of people just adapt and get along. Some really go bats* crazy on this subject. To them it's almost like a car without a volume knob is no more usable than a car with square wheels.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Lol consider yourself lucky.
Sponsored