Is there any way to turn off rain sensing wipers?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
One faces the back through the mirror for sensing headlights coming from behind. One faces forward to sense ambient light so a bright light behind you in daytime doesn't result in a dimmed mirror. When rear facing sensor sees more light than front facing sensor, it dims.
Sponsored

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
One faces the back through the mirror for sensing headlights coming from behind. One faces forward to sense ambient light so a bright light behind you in daytime doesn't result in a dimmed mirror. When rear facing sensor sees more light than front facing sensor, it dims.
Ah now i get it! Thx for the info!

MajesticsCanada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Drove around for a bit earlier and it was raining steadily. Everything seemed to be fine. I had the knob set to the lowest setting and they were only wiping every 5 seconds or so. Then the rain slowed down and turned to a light misting and the wipers went apeshit full throttle. I don't understand. Its like theyre programmed backwards. Heavy rain: slow, intermittent wipes. Light rain: full blast.
Has anyone ever got the dealer to fix this problem? I have the same problem aswell, seems like a lot do.

reheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
Has anyone ever got the dealer to fix this problem? I have the same problem aswell, seems like a lot do.
After months of arguing with the dealer they finally replaced the silicon strip between the sensor and windshield. (It took 10 minutes)

This fixed the problem for me. You could see the difference when you looked at the sensor.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Our rain sensing wipers didn't work at all when new. As in didn't sense rain and didn't wipe. The dealer reinstalled the sensor with a new silicone pad. They work as expected now. Why the factory seems to have so many problems getting these installed correctly seems like it should interest Honda as they see the warranty claim history.

Kahin Dur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
After months of arguing with the dealer they finally replaced the silicon strip between the sensor and windshield. (It took 10 minutes)

This fixed the problem for me. You could see the difference when you looked at the sensor.
Can you post a picture to show us this strip? Mine wipes at fast speed, little or lots of rain, regardless of what position the intermittent wiper dial is at.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still don't see why they couldn't just keep the old style wiper choice on all the civics. At least with that they had a rotatable speed selection for intermittent and a low and high setting. So simple that it would have also saved a LOT as all of them would have been the same.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's the first thing I turned off after taking delivery back in February 16.

Not a fan of wipers, I find it annoying even when I others using them especially sitting on a red light and their wipers going crazy. Why?!? LOL

I've driven rentals so I know that wipers doesn't help which is why drivers are so slow because they can barely see the road.

I love my Rain-X.

Sorry for the rant. Clearly you can tell I'm a fan. LOL

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, but I'm not sure you can tell from that if the sensor is well bonded to the film on the back side of what you are looking at.

Even after ours were fixed, their performance is erratic. Sometimes they work as expected but not all times. It's weird. I wonder if Honda has some software "issues"? (Nah. Couldn't be. Honda is clearly top notch in their embedded software.) The rain sensing wipers in our 2009 135i worked great. That experience is one of the reasons we ordered the Touring to get the rain sensing wipers. It's not like this is a new technology. It's been in cars for 20+ years now.

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go with an LX basic. $thousands less and NO rain sensing.
So you're saying people should give up the following just to get basic wipers:

-LED headlights
-Navigation
-Higher quality interior
-More powerful and more fuel efficient engine
-17 inch wheels in place of gross steelies and hubcaps
-7 inch head unit and LCD intrument cluster
-Better audio
-etc

Lmao. Okay then. I think if a potential Touring buyer hated auto-wipers that much they'd just opt for an EX-T or EX-L and not a bare-bones appliance like the LX

Arx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's the first thing I turned off after taking delivery back in February 16.
When you say this do you mean you just set the wipers too off or did you find a way to disable the rain sensing feature in the diagnostic menus? I was hoping someone would find a way to disable it and just have them revert to intermittent.

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Wonder how much trouble it would be to install wipers from a non-Touring?
Sponsored