Prl inlet pipe with PRL cobra air intake from si

delayedend

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hyundai Kona N, 17 Civic Coupe Touring (Sold)
Country flag
OP, I hope you are planning on doing a manual swap with a built transmission. A W3 turbo on a CVT is going to launch that thing into outer space.

There are plenty of threads about the limits of the CVT, but you really don't want to go anything above FBO. (Conservative flex fuel might be ok, upgraded fuel system or turbo, definitely not)

Also consider that you can destroy the CVT even at stock power levels by brake boosting, hard launches, and overall abuse.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair and I'm basing this on facts from my tuning reliability thread, the CVT is more robust than some think. We've had quite a few CVT guys running high output custom flex fuel tunes with FBO and upgraded turbos that have been trouble free. Matter of fact I think the one advantage of some aftermarket turbos is that the power curve is skewed a bit to the right. The biggest CVT killer is abuse.

For example here's one:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...lity-thread-for-all-models.42361/post-1061861

Last edited:

delayedend

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...the CVT is more robust than some think...
...the power curve is skewed a bit to the right...
The data doesn't lie when it comes to CVTs. If you take care of them, they'll hold some pretty decent power.

I am a little wary of the OP though, the 27WON W3 is a large turbo with large target numbers. OP also mentioned that they want to go TSP built block. I'm not sure how long it will last at W3 power levels. Do we have data on 450HP+ CVTs?

A huge turbo will keep you out of too much torque down low, but I wonder if the high end torque will just be too much for it to handle.

P.S. A more tastefully edited version of my previous message is, OP, 450HP+ CVT sounds like a pretty sick project, but be aware that there is a lot more risk.

chmst

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic EX-L 6mt Si swapped from CVT
Country flag
it will fit just fine besides the MAF housing. Everything else is exactly the same.

all you have to do is get a non-si MAF sensor housing lol.
Absolutely worth it to purchase if you're saving a lot compared to buying the whole thing brand new.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The data doesn't lie when it comes to CVTs. If you take care of them, they'll hold some pretty decent power.

I am a little wary of the OP though, the 27WON W3 is a large turbo with large target numbers. OP also mentioned that they want to go TSP built block. I'm not sure how long it will last at W3 power levels. Do we have data on 450HP+ CVTs?
I wasn't referring to a W3. The guy I quoted was on a W1. 300WHP is about the most power I'd even consider with the Non-Si CVTs on stock internals. And the guy I linked had a hatchback.

delayedend

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wasn't referring to a W3. The guy I quoted was on a W1. 300WHP is about the most power I'd even consider with the Non-Si CVTs on stock internals. And the guy I linked had a hatchback.
Right, OP is talking W3 + Built TSP Block + CVT. W1 with CVT common sense should be fine.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP. Yeah the guy who refuses to add his car to my tuning thread but at some point might be in my failures thread. :D This place!! :doh:

OP
OP
Speed_Senpaii

Speed_Senpaii

First Name
Harry G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic EXL hatchback 2018
Country flag
OP, I hope you are planning on doing a manual swap with a built transmission. A W3 turbo on a CVT is going to launch that thing into outer space.

There are plenty of threads about the limits of the CVT, but you really don't want to go anything above FBO. (Conservative flex fuel might be ok, upgraded fuel system or turbo, definitely not)

Also consider that you can destroy the CVT even at stock power levels by brake boosting, hard launches, and overall abuse.
Too late I already ordered w3 but I am saving up from tsp block engine hope it can cover from what I heard it can withstand abuse to 500whp up so I think it will hold for now , but mostly this car for car show I barely bring to track I just wanna show off cvt engine

OP
OP
Speed_Senpaii

Speed_Senpaii

First Name
Harry G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

A huge turbo will keep you out of too much torque down low, but I wonder if the high end torque will just be too much for it to handle.

P.S. A more tastefully edited version of my previous message is, OP, 450HP+ CVT sounds like a pretty sick project, but be aware that there is a lot more risk.
I was more worry about my downpipe should change too ? I got my PRL downpipe will it hold ? I just need more advice about fuel system what should I get

OP
OP
Speed_Senpaii

Speed_Senpaii

First Name
Harry G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it will fit just fine besides the MAF housing. Everything else is exactly the same.

all you have to do is get a non-si MAF sensor housing lol.
Absolutely worth it to purchase if you're saving a lot compared to buying the whole thing brand new.
That's why I almost buy the si from marketplace but I wanna make sure first , the maf totally different

That_slow_civicfc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si ,2020 civic Si,2019 Si
Country flag
Too late I already ordered w3 but I am saving up from tsp block engine hope it can cover from what I heard it can withstand abuse to 500whp up so I think it will hold for now , but mostly this car for car show I barely bring to track I just wanna show off cvt engine
might aswell buy my new in box W2 BB. been waiting a long while for my W3 and its still going to take another month

OP
OP
Speed_Senpaii

Speed_Senpaii

First Name
Harry G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
might aswell buy my new in box W2 BB. been waiting a long while for my W3 and its still going to take another month
W3 definitely more fun besides I've been targeting this for awhile too from 27won

Builtfc1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

27won won’t sell the turbo it says on their website not recommended for cvt
Honda Civic 10th gen Prl inlet pipe with PRL cobra air intake from si IMG_0221

OP
OP
Speed_Senpaii

Speed_Senpaii

First Name
Harry G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
27won won’t sell the turbo it says on their website not recommended for cvt
IMG_0221.jpeg
Also u need new engine block that's why I want to buy tsp block engine to withstand the power it said will hold more you just need to tune it right and u can remove the limit too