First Name
nam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport touring , Fd Rx7
Country flag
Hey guys ,

I am fairly new to the civic X game. So Far the mods are Ktuner stage 2 and soon to be installed PRL IC kit. Planning on going PRL e85 kit and maybe even upgrade to 27WOn turbo . Can anyone share their experience with the turbo upgrade? Trying to see if it is worth it. Would be great to have more power up top since we cant have tons of torque on the low end . Reliability ? Cvt breaking ?
Sponsored

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Hey guys ,

I am fairly new to the civic X game. So Far the mods are Ktuner stage 2 and soon to be installed PRL IC kit. Planning on going PRL e85 kit and maybe even upgrade to 27WOn turbo . Can anyone share their experience with the turbo upgrade? Trying to see if it is worth it. Would be great to have more power up top since we cant have tons of torque on the low end . Reliability ? Cvt breaking ?
Interested in this as well, ordered my Ktuner, and thinking about switching to 27won intake from my injen intake.
Have a CVT, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to get a turbo upgrade if just upgrading the exhaust/intake/DP&FP and tune can put our CVT to the limit.

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Guys,
We've had a few customers overseas running the 27WON W1 turbo on their CVT Civics with good results. In-fact, one of the customers is an avid drag racing enthusiast and has been getting close to a 12.5 1/4 mile time.

So to better answer some of your concerns about reliability I'l have you check out this blog https://www.27won.com/blog/the-w1-drop-in-turbocharger-pt5-power and then help you understand what you are reading and why it benefits the CVT.
A larger turbocharger like the W1 will naturally shift the torque curve further up the RPM range.
By doing this you are benefiting from two things:
1) Delayed torque "Softens" the hit on your CVT and thus is potentially less damaging to the CVT drive belt.
2) The W1 will hold torque higher and longer into the RPM range. This will provide you with more consistent power to redline and thus higher peak horsepower.
For example: 250ft-lbs @ 6500rpm = 309 hp

The durability and longevity of the CVT really comes down to the torque delivery. The W1 turbo helps this tremendously.
And for the manual transmission guys this same logic could be applied. A smooth delivery of torque and held to high RPM will still net you good HP numbers with the stock clutch.

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good info, long term I am looking at doing the W1 turbo upgrade with the add on Ktuner :) glad to see such good results for the CVT model. I do not race my car or anything and it is my daily but it would be nice to have a little more power and also an upgrade turbo looks good at shows :p

-R

jami3xxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 pinto 1.5 turbo cvt custom kandata v12.9 2 step but sounds like a slow motion retard
Guys,
We've had a few customers overseas running the 27WON W1 turbo on their CVT Civics with good results. In-fact, one of the customers is an avid drag racing enthusiast and has been getting close to a 12.5 1/4 mile time.

So to better answer some of your concerns about reliability I'l have you check out this blog https://www.27won.com/blog/the-w1-drop-in-turbocharger-pt5-power and then help you understand what you are reading and why it benefits the CVT.
A larger turbocharger like the W1 will naturally shift the torque curve further up the RPM range.
1) Delayed torque "Softens" the hit on your CVT and thus is potentially less damaging to the CVT drive belt.
2) The W1 will hold torque higher and longer into the RPM range. This will provide you with more consistent power to redline and thus higher peak horsepower.

The durability and longevity of the CVT really comes down to the torque delivery. The W1 turbo helps this tremendously.
And for the manual transmission guys this same logic could be applied. A smooth delivery of torque and held to high RPM will still net you good HP numbers with the stock clutch.
Oh you just got a new customer I was looking into pure s2 and the other guys but the price point and no cores on your turbo got me interested after reading this I’m all for it just got a cvt cooler too if that even helps I would have bought a mt but I bought my sports touring for my mom originally to replace her dying Prius but she didn’t want it and got her a new pilot so I just modded away got everything short of a new turbo bolt on wise ..

jami3xxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 pinto 1.5 turbo cvt custom kandata v12.9 2 step but sounds like a slow motion retard
Guys,

Are your w1 turbos built to order or ready to go I’m impatient lol

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are your w1 turbos built to order or ready to go I’m impatient lol
We have turbos ready to ship next day! This is part of the reason we did not go down the path of rebuilding OE turbos. No core charge and no long lead times. We have brand new turbos pre-packaged and ready to ship upon order.
I'm glad I could help answer some questions and concerns. You are always welcome to call or message us if you have more questions.

OP
OP

superfd3s

First Name
nam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We have turbos ready to ship next day! This is part of the reason we did not go down the path of rebuilding OE turbos. No core charge and no long lead times. We have brand new turbos pre-packaged and ready to ship upon order.
I'm glad I could help answer some questions and concerns. You are always welcome to call or message us if you have more questions.
Thanks for the reply! I am definitely saving for the turbo ! Especially if its gonna shift my power band to the right to gain more top end. I feel this car is lagging topend big time. Can I run boost safely with the stock cat still intact with this 27won Turbo upgrade?

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the reply! I am definitely saving for the turbo ! Especially if its gonna shift my power band to the right to gain more top end. I feel this car is lagging topend big time. Can I run boost safely with the stock cat still intact with this 27won Turbo upgrade?
The top-end power increase from the W1 makes a HUGE difference! You may loose 500-600rpm of spool down low, but you gain 1000-1200rpm of top-end power.
The efficiency of turbine (hotside) greatly depends on the pressure delta across the turbine wheel. With a stock downpipe you will be limiting top-end power abit due to the restrictive nature of the stock catalytic converter, but you will still carry power higher and longer than the stock turbo.

jami3xxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotta run dp to free up the flow it’s like dudes that workout and get all huge and have tiny legs

Rok Monky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Guys,

Thanks for this detailed break down it gives some hope for the us CVT owners.

Do you guys plan to (or have you been) doing any in house testing on the cvt platform?

jami3xxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The top-end power increase from the W1 makes a HUGE difference! You may loose 500-600rpm of spool down low, but you gain 1000-1200rpm of top-end power.
The efficiency of turbine (hotside) greatly depends on the pressure delta across the turbine wheel. With a stock downpipe you will be limiting top-end power abit due to the restrictive nature of the stock catalytic converter, but you will still carry power higher and longer than the stock turbo.
Hi Barett , any idea what kind of power numbers the overseas guys was putting down or what we can expect , power range with your turbo tuned with all the bolt ons I.e. intake dp I/c + pipes , cvt cooler , ktuner.. and how much more with flex fuel kit ? Thank you happy holidays!

OP
OP

superfd3s

First Name
nam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi Barett , any idea what kind of power numbers the overseas guys was putting down or what we can expect , power range with your turbo tuned with all the bolt ons I.e. intake dp I/c + pipes , cvt cooler , ktuner.. and how much more with flex fuel kit ? Thank you happy holidays!
Im looking for the same answer haha

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Oh you just got a new customer I was looking into pure s2 and the other guys but the price point and no cores on your turbo got me interested after reading this I’m all for it just got a cvt cooler too if that even helps I would have bought a mt but I bought my sports touring for my mom originally to replace her dying Prius but she didn’t want it and got her a new pilot so I just modded away got everything short of a new turbo bolt on wise ..
What cvt cooler did you get?

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can confirm atleast one CVT owner that has a dyno proven 250whp/246wtq on pump gas (octane unknown), but I know there is a handful of other CVT owners out, we just don't have their numbers.
To me, 250/246 seems a bit conservative unless the CVT is soaking up a bunch of power. I would need a datalog to really see and compare to a manual car datalog.

Looking at all other numbers we have (manual trans) been able to confirm the W1 is pretty damn consistent in delivering power.
Pump = ~275-290whp/280-300wtq
Emix = ~310-340whp/320-350wtq

Also, these are all in different locations, with different bolt-on's and different tuners. There is no "ideal" build from what we've seen other than the W1 turbo is the key performance part to make this power.
...that might change though with the 27WON intercooler and piping kit in the works ;)
Sponsored