Took the type R to Sebring for some laps. WOW

notoriousjje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2K, CRX Si, GT3RS, 911 SC, E36 M3, Tundra, Type RRRRRR
Country flag
Just got back from Sebring where I took the Type R to run the night session with CHIN.

Thoughts:
Good:
1. Car is fast. Much faster than I thought.
2. Slow speed understeer is there. Just not much you can do. Besides that, car was pretty easy to drive. It responds well to trail braking and I could always get the nose to tuck in by lifting off.
3. Brakes are ridiculous. We put on some Hawk Street/ Track pads and flushed the fluid with some DOT4. I kept having to adjust my braking points further down
4. Stock tires. Felt like crap. Played with tire pressure a ton. Finally settled on 38 F, 40 R hot. Could not imagine running them any softer in the front. Front's crept up 8psi from cold. Rears crept up 4. Anything above 40 and they got real greasy. As is, they were good for about 2 laps. Then had to cool down for a lap, then could go again. Can't wait to try it with real tires.
5. Grabs attention. People were all over the car. There was some serious hardware out there with Chin, Civic got some love.

Bad
1. Fuel tank is too small. I ran through a tank in about 15 laps. So more or less 55 miles. 10 gallons is not gonna cut it.
2. Speaking of fuel tank, I had fuel starvation on hard right handers at about 1/8" of a tank. Anyone else have that happen?
3. Day got cut short because I got a Check Engine light and car went into limp mode. Wouldn't rev past 3000RPM. Had to do a hard reset to get me home. Gave me an "Emission Systems Failure"

Now for some data I pulled from the Solo:
1.3 G's laterally on STOCK tires. Sebring is dead flat too. There are no cambered turns. Think about that.
Ran 2:33's all day easy and a 2:32 best. It was in the 50's which is good, but the track was really cold since it was night time which is not so good. With more seat time, I think it's a 2:30 car stock. That's ridiculous. On serious rubber, car is a sub 2:25 car which is FLYING. Think Porsche GT3 territory.

I got video. Need to pull it off the smarty cam and I'll post some laps.

Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
You likely got the check engine light from letting your gas level get too low. The CTR seems to do ok up to a 1/3 tank but below that fuel sloshes around too much under track conditions for the sender to pick up consistently.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
Sounds like a lot of fun, Can't wait for video!

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Thanks for posting! Sounds like you had a ton of fun out there at Sebring. It's too bad about the fuel starvation issue, maybe it would be worthwhile to get a 5 gallon gas can and fill up between sessions, or just fill up at a nearby gas station between each session. I'll be curious to see how you do on something other than the stock tires.

Do you still have your S2000? By comparison, how would you compare the S2k to the CTR on the track?

OP
OP

notoriousjje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You likely got the check engine light from letting your gas level get too low. The CTR seems to do ok up to a 1/3 tank but below that fuel sloshes around too much under track conditions for the sender to pick up consistently.
Could be. Couldn't tunr it off with a reset so just have to wait to connect a scanner to it. If it's 1/3rd of a tank and it gives issues, that would b=mean it isonly good for about a 25 minute session. That's brutal.

Thanks for posting! Sounds like you had a ton of fun out there at Sebring. It's too bad about the fuel starvation issue, maybe it would be worthwhile to get a 5 gallon gas can and fill up between sessions, or just fill up at a nearby gas station between each session. I'll be curious to see how you do on something other than the stock tires.

Do you still have your S2000? By comparison, how would you compare the S2k to the CTR on the track?
Yeah it was bummer. I actually brought 2 jugs with me. Just no way of knowing when the car was going to start acting up. I would say 1/4 tank you need to pit in.

Still have the S2000. The CTR is much faster. There's just no getting around it. It brakes MUCH better, pulls much harder and seems to corner about the same. Eastern champion TTC car ran a 2:36 at Sebring in October. Most TT3 cars were in the 2:26 range. Had one guy go low in TT3 but that's where most fully prepped S2000's end up either in TTC or TT3. You are talking this thing was running as fast dead stock.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I'm not a huge track junky, I've taken the S2000 out to the local tracks a handful of times but each time it's a blast, even in the Novice/Intermediate groups. Sounds like you're an Advanced Group driver so you'd be pushing the car a good bit harder than than I probably would. I'm on the fence about keeping or selling the S2000 once I get the CTR. At this point I'm leaning toward selling it to keep my 3rd garage bay free for home projects but after 15 years of ownership it's difficult to let it go.

OP
OP

notoriousjje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not a huge track junky, I've taken the S2000 out to the local tracks a handful of times but each time it's a blast, even in the Novice/Intermediate groups. Sounds like you're an Advanced Group driver so you'd be pushing the car a good bit harder than than I probably would. I'm on the fence about keeping or selling the S2000 once I get the CTR. At this point I'm leaning toward selling it to keep my 3rd garage bay free for home projects but after 15 years of ownership it's difficult to let it go.
I wont sell my S2k. There is nothing that can replace the top down fun for the money. Plus it holds a set of golf clubs in the trunk! You can't beat that!
Two very different cars. S2K is a keeper/ classic for sure

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
J Speaking of fuel tank, I had fuel starvation on hard right handers at about 1/8" of a tank. Anyone else have that happen?
I had that happen at Mid Ohio. It happened with the instructor wanting to take it out, along with a Honda engineer. After a few calls, it turns out it is the low pressure fuel pump that feeds the high pressure pump. Was told there should be a recall forthcoming.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/lapping-day-at-mid-ohio-on-29-oct-17.16797/#post-308245

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I had that happen at Mid Ohio. It happened with the instructor wanting to take it out, along with a Honda engineer. After a few calls, it turns out it is the low pressure fuel pump that feeds the high pressure pump. Was told there should be a recall forthcoming.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/lapping-day-at-mid-ohio-on-29-oct-17.16797/#post-308245
That's great news, at least now we know what the root cause of the problem is and hopefully Honda will get a fix available. Although, it will probably only replace the low pressure fuel pump for those who complain they are having an issue with it. If you never track your car, you'd never know about the problem.

OP
OP

notoriousjje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OP
OP

notoriousjje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Finally got the video. Sorry the sound is terrible. It was also a night session so can't see a whole lot. It did make running a lot of fun though!!!

OP
OP

notoriousjje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some cool pics photosbyjuha.com took that night. Coming into the hairpin and then coming into turn 10.

Honda Civic 10th gen Took the type R to Sebring for some laps.  WOW 38157082395_f3866ab959_k
Sketch typeR by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Honda Civic 10th gen Took the type R to Sebring for some laps.  WOW 25171472848_a60e39cb37_k
TYperR hairpin 2 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Honda Civic 10th gen Took the type R to Sebring for some laps.  WOW 25171468138_6475aa1fb1_k
tyoer hairpin 3 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Honda Civic 10th gen Took the type R to Sebring for some laps.  WOW 25171470398_87f8ed2c99_h
typeR10 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

OP
OP

notoriousjje

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome! I’m a little less than 2 hours from Sebring. Would love to come out to an event like this. Is there something for non-members??
Bunch of a different "clubs" Run at Sebring.

Check out:
Drivenasafl.com
Chintrackdays.com
Cflscca.org
Citrus region PCA
Performance driving group
PBOC

Everyone started as a novice at some point.

It's great times, very welcoming and you will end the day a better driver with a better understanding for your car than when you started

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some cool pics photosbyjuha.com took that night. Coming into the hairpin and then coming into turn 10.

25171472848_a60e39cb37_k.jpg
TYperR hairpin 2 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

25171468138_6475aa1fb1_k.jpg
tyoer hairpin 3 by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr
I am pretty sure mine were glowing like that when I was at Indy. But it was daytime. After a cool down lap, and parked back in the garage, they were down to 620 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sponsored