Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's the fact Jack.

My stock Si is slower when temps are up, and mileage suffers a bit as well.

I am sure it is more noticeable on a Type R.
Sponsored

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Not for nothing but...
1) the car is heatsoaked and probably making less power
2) the hotter it is the more likely the tires are to be that much more grippy in normal driving conditions. So the hotter it is the less likely you are to spin the tires as easy as when it colder outside.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Yes Turbo cars love cold dence air when ever possible. I live in the hot humid south and would only sign up for track days in early spring or late fall as my track cars all had turbos and would get extremely hot if I ran them in the summer time.
With my CTR on a hot humid day, I drive like I didn't steal it

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
this car is deff a pig when its hot lol
on hot days i miss having a 6 liter v8 haha

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another real world example. I drive a TSP Stage 1 tuned 1.5 turbo. Yesterday my 24 psi tune felt slow and sluggish. The temps were hot and humid. This morning with temps in the low 60's, my 16.5 psi tune felt faster than the 24 psi tune felt the day before.

Last edited:

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
This is a very know issue, IAT2 ( intake) and IAT (post intercooler) must be under 100 degrees for get around 20-22 psi, the ECU has a parameters 75 degrees IAT and IAT2 it will deliver full power ( no timing pulling and no boost cut) if the temperatures start to rise will pull timing and boost for example 75 degrees IAT and IAT2 =0 85 degrees -5 , 90 degrees -10, etc.. I have a lot of cooling mods, at the moment with ambient temperatures around 90 to 98 degrees if I'm driving cruising at 75-80mph I got 4 -6 degrees difference with ambient temperatures, ( temperatures after intercooler higher 18 more degrees usually due no boost , but when I get boost the temperatures go down around 6 more degrees above the ambient temperatures). If I drive hard, and then stop the car for 30 minutes, then I start the car, the temperatures rises ( 90-98 degrees ambient I got around 125-135 degrees IAT and IAT2 around 115 -125 degrees, If you drive slow ,is very difficult to cold down the temperatures, (around 25 to 40 mph) if I go to highway after that period of time (stop for 30 min after beat the car ) It takes around 6 minutes to cold down to around 98-105 degrees IAT and IAT2.

I'm currently working in some other mods for fix this issue.

Honda Civic 10th gen This car is completely different in high temps IMG_6915.JPG

HomieGohan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1999 Civic Hatch NDF Style
Country flag
Some of the best reading I have done on this Forum, sure learned a lot just now reading all these comments. Sucks about 1 or 2 month's ago i was experiencing heat soak in Utah. Now temps have been beautiful and the car leaves a smile on my face once again. Wish there was something out there we can try to help prevent the heat soak drastically.

One of the next mods I was planning is turbo blanket and PRL intercooler. Would this help much during hotter times next year?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some of the best reading I have done on this Forum, sure learned a lot just now reading all these comments. Sucks about 1 or 2 month's ago i was experiencing heat soak in Utah. Now temps have been beautiful and the car leaves a smile on my face once again. Wish there was something out there we can try to help prevent the heat soak drastically.

One of the next mods I was planning is turbo blanket and PRL intercooler. Would this help much during hotter times next year?
Start with the intercooler for sure. The turbo blanket helps a little but the install is a pain in the ass. A cold air intake might be a better choice to go with the intercooler.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag

The intercooler is great to drop IAT temps for WOT runs. If you daily drive at part throttle and regular highway cruising then the intercooler is much like the stock unit when relating to temps. Your better off getting a cold air intake or keeping the temps down from the intake side of things. I have monitored my IAT temps for months from stock to modded and that is my findings.

HomieGohan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1999 Civic Hatch NDF Style
Country flag
The intercooler is great to drop IAT temps for WOT runs. If you daily drive at part throttle and regular highway cruising then the intercooler is much like the stock unit when relating to temps. Your better off getting a cold air intake or keeping the temps down from the intake side of things. I have monitored my IAT temps for months from stock to modded and that is my findings.
I will skip the intercooler then and go buy a intake for now. Most likely will get the PRL kit since i have heard really good reviews about it.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s more high temps for you to check out. Mild traffic of 15-30 mph in sunny SoCal.

9620511D-DCB6-4AD2-8C9C-C4893963780D.jpeg
Ouch, it's 90+ outside today. Not driving the toaster for a day if I can help it. Even for getting gas, I tend to go after dark with this car; more fun, less traffic (at Costco).

Fathomless

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s more high temps for you to check out. Mild traffic of 15-30 mph in sunny SoCal.

9620511D-DCB6-4AD2-8C9C-C4893963780D.jpeg
Nice dash setup. Happen to have info on the non standard PIDs?

I run torque pro and having a heckuva time finding all the info. Just finished my IAT temps yesterday.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to go after dark with this car; more fun, less traffic (at Costco).
I have a question for you Type R guys regarding traffic. I have the EX-L 1.5 turbo tuned with the TSP Stage 1. It's plenty quick and shocks a lot of "sportier cars". It's a bit of a sleeper.

The problem is, I live in a high density high traffic area. It's rare that I really get the opportunity to open her up. I just pick and choose a moment here and there to make my moves.

You guys with the Type R have a much more performance oriented car than mine. Do you get frustrated not being able to really enjoy the car due to heavy, congested traffic?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a question for you Type R guys regarding traffic. I have the EX-L 1.5 turbo tuned with the TSP Stage 1. It's plenty quick and shocks a lot of "sportier cars". It's a bit of a sleeper.

The problem is, I live in a high density high traffic area. It's rare that I really get the opportunity to open her up. I just pick and choose a moment here and there to make my moves.

You guys with the Type R have a much more performance oriented car than mine. Do you get frustrated not being able to really enjoy the car due to heavy, congested traffic?
It's no fun getting stuck in traffic in any car. I usually optimize my route by using Google maps even for local errands (grocery, gasoline, home depot, etc.). That's on top of running errands at night or mid morning when there's less traffic. Also find a twisty road for the weekend. But for daily commute, there's just no avoiding traffic. The best I can think of is to take a longer (scenic) route home at the end of the workday, if possible.
Sponsored