turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
I cannot believe Honda is putting people through this come on Honda step up an admit there’s some type of issue with these transmissions... this is getting unreal it’s like one horror story after the other... in 3rd person have a guy buy a brand new car have the trans replaced or opened up with less than a few thousand miles on the car... what if someone wants to keep the car with low miles for future collectibility... because I see a lot of the older Japanese cars worth some money now an we are into another generation of Japanese sports cars they might not get to the value of some of the older ones but who wants a car with an opened trans or not the original 20-30 years down the line with a few thousand miles on there car... it’s really not even that it’s who wants there whole cradle dropped out of the car with a few thousand miles on it.. my steering wheel an alignment was out when I bought me car... yeah England!!!! sry to whoever lives over there but the quality control at your Swindon plant sucks!!! Start making them back in Japan
Sponsored

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
An after reading gfranks post I am beginning to believe Honda needs to look at the clutch an flywheel as the culprit of the lock out issue

mattymacaulay

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 civic type r
Country flag
You should post a recorded statement on why Honda canada thinks its user error. Unless you actually did money shift it.
well the first month of having the car I noticed my alignment being thrown off and the car banging hard . here I found shipping blocks in the front springs . also I've reported the odd grind and lockout. and no I did not miss shift at 120 from fifth to second . I can remember one time shifting from third to fourth passing a car I hit second by mistake and put the clutch in right away once the rpms started to shoot up. car didn't do nothing drastic just reved up for a quick second and had no issues. but the grinds from first to seconds kept getting worse months later. only when pulling a little hard. seems odd that my buddy from Montreal was told he also miss shifted and needed a new tranny . but had first and second replaced and new syncros and says the car is maybe better then new . they printed off the results from the computer for me and I looked at them and it did show a miss shift at 120 from fifth to second so I don't no . I was that mad I didn't take the copy with me . so will go in. and get it this week . also I've seen a report that Honda gave someone else and there was no miss shift ... just shavings in the oil . so they would not cover it.. this guy ended up trading his in at another dealer for an Acura

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
did u have rev match on? if u did, would it still up the gas as soon as it is in new gear, even with clutch full in?

well the first month of having the car I noticed my alignment being thrown off and the car banging hard . here I found shipping blocks in the front springs . also I've reported the odd grind and lockout. and no I did not miss shift at 120 from fifth to second . I can remember one time shifting from third to fourth passing a car I hit second by mistake and put the clutch in right away once the rpms started to shoot up. car didn't do nothing drastic just reved up for a quick second and had no issues. but the grinds from first to seconds kept getting worse months later. only when pulling a little hard. seems odd that my buddy from Montreal was told he also miss shifted and needed a new tranny . but had first and second replaced and new syncros and says the car is maybe better then new . they printed off the results from the computer for me and I looked at them and it did show a miss shift at 120 from fifth to second so I don't no . I was that mad I didn't take the copy with me . so will go in. and get it this week . also I've seen a report that Honda gave someone else and there was no miss shift ... just shavings in the oil . so they would not cover it.. this guy ended up trading his in at another dealer for an Acura

mattymacaulay

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 civic type r
Country flag
did u have rev match on? if u did, would it still up the gas as soon as it is in new gear, even with clutch full in?
yea rev match was on . I wish I had if turned it off when I bought the car . and yea it tried to match the revs so it hit redline for a second if that and soon as I herd the engine rev I put the clutch in and the car just went back to normal rpms. the tires or nothing locked up and it didn't cause any issues I just kept driving . It did throw me off and kind or worried me but there were no issues. just the same gear crunching and lockouts. the lockout in first happened when I would shift quick from first to second with the clutch all the way to the floor and it would crunch . directly after the second gear crunch first would lock me out . after three times of this happened the third time second let go . it will stay in second sometimes without touching the gas but will grind out soon as I touch the gas . also I can use second gear when gearing down and not using the gas .

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really doubt its a whole transmission problem. it's probably something like a 2nd and 4th gear synchro. I mean, it's obvious that the transmission works fine. All of us know how butter smooth it is when shifting into other gears. for some reason, many type r transmission's won't fully go out of gear even when the clutch is fully depressed. Why wait and let these transmissions burn up. Honda doesn't even need a recall, just a TSB so that we can actually fix this issue that is occurring on some of these type R's. We are all on this forum because we want to continue our loyalty to the Honda brand but we need some kind of sign that you still give a damn. I skipped buying a civic si because I knew there was oil dilution and eventually (because there are more SUV sales then type R sales DUH) you had to issue a recall. Just give us a damn TSB so we can begin enjoying this wonderful car.

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea rev match was on . I wish I had if turned it off when I bought the car . and yea it tried to match the revs so it hit redline for a second if that and soon as I herd the engine rev I put the clutch in and the car just went back to normal rpms. the tires or nothing locked up and it didn't cause any issues I just kept driving . It did throw me off and kind or worried me but there were no issues. just the same gear crunching and lockouts. the lockout in first happened when I would shift quick from first to second with the clutch all the way to the floor and it would crunch . directly after the second gear crunch first would lock me out . after three times of this happened the third time second let go . it will stay in second sometimes without touching the gas but will grind out soon as I touch the gas . also I can use second gear when gearing down and not using the gas .
In theory, because you money shifted with rev match on it will only bounce off the rev limiter until you start depressing the clutch. When you depress the clutch on a money shift, the rev limiter no longer matters as the car attempts to keep up with wheel speed and that's when you get damaging revs. the rev matching system is electronic as is the limiter, and with the clutch held in you aren't going past redline. As long as you held the clutch in, you should, in theory, be fine.

mattymacaulay

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 civic type r
Country flag
In theory, because you money shifted with rev match on it will only bounce off the rev limiter until you start depressing the clutch. When you depress the clutch on a money shift, the rev limiter no longer matters as the car attempts to keep up with wheel speed and that's when you get damaging revs. the rev matching system is electronic as is the limiter, and with the clutch held in you aren't going past redline. As long as you held the clutch in, you should, in theory, be fine.
yea it was definitely in . when the rpms went up Im posput it in nuteral right away .
yea it was in. buddy with the exact same issue as me had his fixed for 3000. two gears and syncros had to be replaced. I let a few good mechanics check it out and they both said it sounds like your syncros or a bent fork . funny because when I asked the dealer ship to crack it open and check second gear they said it was on back order and something about cross contamination with the tranny .

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea it was definitely in . when the rpms went up Im posput it in nuteral right away .

yea it was in. buddy with the exact same issue as me had his fixed for 3000. two gears and syncros had to be replaced. I let a few good mechanics check it out and they both said it sounds like your syncros or a bent fork . funny because when I asked the dealer ship to crack it open and check second gear they said it was on back order and something about cross contamination with the tranny .
cross-contamination? what does that mean?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting observation I made today. I noticed when I shift into 5th gear, partially because I have to really wrangle it into the gear because it’s in an awkward spot (at least for me), it was always smoother feeling than other gears. It always takes me longer to shift into 5th than any other gear. So what I did was I started to slow down my shift from gear to gear, almost by a quarter to half of a second and see what happens. Almost every gear I’ve done that in has resulted in a buttery smooth shift. It’s basicalt pausing in neutral for a brief quarter second or so, then continuing to the next gear. Even my second gear is smoother now, although it likes to make a thunk sound but still slots in without any resistance.

Maybe this transmission doesn’t like to be shifted quickly? Maybe my observation is tied to my relatively short experience with driving a stick but it seems like taking it slow with the actual shifting motion is making the car a lot smoother. Obviously that seems counterintuitive to how the car was meant to be driven, but I can tell you that executing back to back flawless shifts is a great confidence booster.

YMMV but just wanted to share... might help some people here? My transmission doesn’t grind all that often (I think, I wonder if those crunches I’ve had were a result of me not depressing the clutch fully or who knows... ) but after shifting that way for half my commute it felt so much greater, even if my acceleration was a tad bit slower.

mattymacaulay

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 civic type r
Country flag
cross-contamination? what does that mean?
haha I was wondering the same thing . I've mentioned it to a few ppl. some laughed and said that's bullshit a transmission is a transmission lol and others say it's possible . I don't understand it myself . cross contamination of other oils and dust and shit onces it's cracked ? I also think it's a load of BS .

mattymacaulay

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 civic type r
Country flag
haha I was wondering the same thing . I've mentioned it to a few ppl. some laughed and said that's bullshit a transmission is a transmission lol and others say it's possible . I don't understand it myself . cross contamination of other oils and dust and shit onces it's cracked ? I also think it's a load of BS .
the dealership just didn't want to do the work incase something went wrong once they gave it back because if I payed for it to be fixed and something went wrong again they would have to fix it I guess . crooks

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting observation I made today. I noticed when I shift into 5th gear, partially because I have to really wrangle it into the gear because it’s in an awkward spot (at least for me), it was always smoother feeling than other gears. It always takes me longer to shift into 5th than any other gear. So what I did was I started to slow down my shift from gear to gear, almost by a quarter to half of a second and see what happens. Almost every gear I’ve done that in has resulted in a buttery smooth shift. It’s basicalt pausing in neutral for a brief quarter second or so, then continuing to the next gear. Even my second gear is smoother now, although it likes to make a thunk sound but still slots in without any resistance.

Maybe this transmission doesn’t like to be shifted quickly? Maybe my observation is tied to my relatively short experience with driving a stick but it seems like taking it slow with the actual shifting motion is making the car a lot smoother. Obviously that seems counterintuitive to how the car was meant to be driven, but I can tell you that executing back to back flawless shifts is a great confidence booster.

YMMV but just wanted to share... might help some people here? My transmission doesn’t grind all that often (I think, I wonder if those crunches I’ve had were a result of me not depressing the clutch fully or who knows... ) but after shifting that way for half my commute it felt so much greater, even if my acceleration was a tad bit slower.
Your just giving the synchros more time to slow the gears down so they can mesh is why your getting a smoother shift. The Type r should not have to be granny shifted. Even though I shifted like a granny the first thousand miles...

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
Genuinely interested to see if any 2019s have the issue.
2019 Type R. Badge 23935. Went into production January 2nd. Took delivery Jan 16th. Just about 700 miles on it now. No gear grinds or lock outs. Actually i had 1 grind going from 2nd to 3rd but it was my fault. I didnt fully engage the clutch

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2019 Type R. Badge 23935. Went into production January 2nd. Took delivery Jan 16th. Just about 700 miles on it now. No gear grinds or lock outs. Actually i had 1 grind going from 2nd to 3rd but it was my fault. I didnt fully engage the clutch
My 2018 has not had a grind since I last reported it over a month ago. It seems to have gone away and im now at 2500 miles.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.