Switching from 8th gen Accord V6 AT to Type R?

Hodor

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6
Country flag
Hi Folks,

I currently own 8th gen Accord V6 AT sedan which is slightly modded but I plan to sell it. I have Odyssey and if my wife decides to take it then I'll have to get a new car for myself or keep Accord. I know Civic Type R accelerates faster but would you switch from 8th gen Accord to 10th gen Civic Type R? PS: I don't plan to do track days or race it or whatever, I just want to have a car which could accelerate noticeably faster comparing to Accord.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi Folks,

I currently own 8th gen Accord V6 AT sedan which is slightly modded but I plan to sell it. I have Odyssey and if my wife decides to take it then I'll have to get a new car for myself or keep Accord. I know Civic Type R accelerates faster but would you switch from 8th gen Accord to 10th gen Civic Type R? PS: I don't plan to do track days or race it or whatever, I just want to have a car which could accelerate noticeably faster comparing to Accord.

Thanks in advance.
so you simply just want a car that accelerates faster? no other reason to upgrade?

keep the accord.

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
And also keep in mind that the R is manual, which is less friendly during stop and go traffic than your Accord.

I had a 7th gen Accord for 11 years. The two cars are completely different, my friend. Both are great in its own ways, but again, very different. You will for sure attract more attention on the road with the R !

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
If the upgrade is within budget and you won't be struggling to make payments, I'd say it's worth the upgrade. There may be a lot of other options, however, if the only reason for upgrading is to "accelerate faster."

OP
OP

Hodor

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6
Country flag
If I keep Odyssey as a daily I'd rather sell accord. It's 2012 and still drives very solid with less than 60K miles on it. It's larger and more comfortable than Type R. But it has slow tranny, old headlights and taillights and infotainment from the previous century. I like V6 but slow tranny kills all fun. If my wife takes Odyssey then I'll be less flexible. I saw Type R and even a buddy gave me a ride in his Type R. And it pushes really hard. Accord seems to be much slower. If it was faster I could forgive all other stuff.

OP
OP

Hodor

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6
Country flag
Here is my Accord video. I already posted it on CL two weeks ago. It sounds nice but exhaust is custom. BTW they don't make aftermarket parts for Accords. Probably they consider it as family car and don't expect demand so everything is a project and it is custom:

OP
OP

Hodor

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6
Country flag
Accord Sport 2.0 with Hondata or Ktuner. Cheaper than the type R and plenty fast in 6spd or the 10spd auto.
Probably but I think Type R has huge aftermarket support while Accord has pretty limited options. When I was building my Accord there were only few exhaust options including Mugen which was pretty expensive. They even had more options for coupes than for sedans.

What I really like about Type R is that you can even leave it stock and it will look great by default while you have to modify Accord here and there.

Besides I'm not a huge fan of 10th gen Accord. To me it looks weird from some angles.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
301hp
365tq
13.6 @103mph
Intercooler, downpipe, intake
Plenty of goodies for the accord.

Probably but I think Type R has huge aftermarket support while Accord has pretty limited options. When I was building my Accord there were only few exhaust options including Mugen which was pretty expensive. They even had more options for coupes than for sedans.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is my Accord video. I already posted it on CL two weeks ago. It sounds nice but exhaust is custom. BTW they don't make aftermarket parts for Accords. Probably they consider it as family car and don't expect demand so everything is a project and it is custom:

You might check... I thought RV6 made J pipes for the Accord. You are right though... J-series gets little love... whether you're talking Accord or Odyssey.

OP
OP

Hodor

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6
Country flag
You might check... I thought RV6 made J pipes for the Accord. You are right though... J-series gets little love... whether you're talking Accord or Odyssey.
I have J-Pipe, high flow pre-cats and SS custom catback. But transmission kills it all coz it's pretty slow. Sometimes it seems to be still in high gear and I can feel it after I do a turn - car accelerates pretty slow like it's in 4th gear. If I switch to D3 it is faster but I don't want to kill tranny by driving in D3 only.

I got Auto to have more comfort. Sometimes I think I should have got 6-6 but it's hard to re-sell 6-6.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have J-Pipe, high flow pre-cats and SS custom catback. But transmission kills it all coz it's pretty slow. Sometimes it seems to be still in high gear and I can feel it after I do a turn - car accelerates pretty slow like it's in 4th gear. If I switch to D3 it is faster but I don't want to kill tranny by driving in D3 only.

I got Auto to have more comfort. Sometimes I think I should have got 6-6 but it's hard to re-sell 6-6.
Nah... I got you. I have a '14 Odyssey with a 6 speed lifted off that eras Accord. Not sure if your Accord has the 5 or 6 speed. It's not sporty though.

Might want to look at an Accord too. 10 gen Accord would be a natural thing to look at coming from an 8th gen. Manuals are available, but the 10 speed has good press and is supposed to be very well matched with the K20C4 engine it has. Mods are available to bring the engine on-line with the CTRs power level, while probably maxing out what an open-diff FWD car is capable of putting down under highway speeds.

I'd at least comparison shop it. IMO the CTR is probably less suited for what you're going for it, but if that car strikes a nerve with you and you want to spend the $$$ to get in one... it's certainly a good car. You just have to choose between a large, still powerful modern Accord with room to grow powerwise for a good 5-10k less than a 306 HP 2+2 track-ready Civic that'll be around 40k OTD.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I bought a 19' Type R a couple of months ago and my wife got a 19' Accord Sport 2.0 turbo 10 speed automatic the same week. I honestly love both and you can't go wrong with either car! To be perfectly honest from a dead stop the Accord is probably quicker to 50-60 because the automatic puts the power down really well!! I love them both! The good thing was that I paid MSRP with zero add ons for the Type R and we worked one hell of a deal for my wife's Accord, paying less than $26,000 for it!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Switching from 8th gen Accord V6 AT to Type R? 338A6792-E334-4C5D-8E21-9CA8A9C2B93F

Honda Civic 10th gen Switching from 8th gen Accord V6 AT to Type R? 3DCFC19F-E591-4942-92F0-9F533C57F9C0

Honda Civic 10th gen Switching from 8th gen Accord V6 AT to Type R? 3FC9A377-E303-492A-A822-EFC8F080C613

6starwars

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2017 Tacoma
Country flag
After reading the previous posts, it’s clear that you want the Type R. You just have one decision to make . . . what color? You won’t go wrong either way. Like the CTR, the new Accord has received rave reviews.
Sponsored