Amu problems switching to 255 from of 245 ?

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I switched my CTR wheels from the 20s to 19x8.5 and am running 245/35ZR19 tires. Any opinions about putting 255/35ZR19 on the same rims? I calculate the tires will be 6mm larger in total diameter.

Will I get a speedometer error problem? Will they rub? Will they last any longer and/or give better traction? Just All-Season daily driver (but I do like to push it on twisty mountain roads).
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I switched my CTR wheels from the 20s to 19x8.5 and am running 245/35ZR19 tires. Any opinions about putting 255/35ZR19 on the same rims? I calculate the tires will be 6mm larger in total diameter.

Will I get a speedometer error problem? Will they rub? Will they last any longer and/or give better traction? Just All-Season daily driver (but I do like to push it on twisty mountain roads).
That's very close to stock diameter. It should not have an issue, but depends on the rim it's going on (for fitment). The speedo error will be increased about 1% (actual speed 1% higher than speedo speed), nothing major and shouldn't affect much in daily driving. As for the tires lasting longer, it depends on the tire. Most all seasons will last longer than the stock tires. Most all season tires also will lose on traction compared to most summer tires, though I'm currently running 245/40/18 Michi PS AS3+ (all season) which get decent traction.

OP
OP
WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That's very close to stock diameter. It should not have an issue, but depends on the rim it's going on (for fitment). The speedo error will be increased about 1% (actual speed 1% higher than speedo speed), nothing major and shouldn't affect much in daily driving. As for the tires lasting longer, it depends on the tire. Most all seasons will last longer than the stock tires. Most all season tires also will lose on traction compared to most summer tires, though I'm currently running 245/40/18 Michi PS AS3+ (all season) which get decent traction.
The 'last longer and better traction' question was just comparing the wider 255 to 245, same construction.

Right now my speedo is a tiny bit slow, (it shows 80 but I'm going 79), so the bigger tire might put it right on the money.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The 'last longer and better traction' question was just comparing the wider 255 to 245, same construction.

Right now my speedo is a tiny bit slow, (it shows 80 but I'm going 79), so the bigger tire might put it right on the money.
My speedo when stock also read a little slow as well. Weird thing was that it was kind of consistently low (always seemed to be off by one regardless of speed).

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wheel-size.com and tiresize.com let you input different setups and give you the speedometer difference, width, radius, etc. Everything you'd want to know.
Sponsored