Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
What's up everyone, for some time now I had the PRL SRI, didn't want to go with the Cobra CAI version at first because I wasn't sure how it would hold up with South Florida rain/showers. After doing further research and seeing everyone elses input on the CAI I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the conversion to turn my SRI to the CAI, besides I figure it would pair up nicely with the PRL Intercooler I already have installed...

I couldn't believe how drastic of a change my IAT1 went down after installing and driving !:eek: I drove for about 30 minutes with spirited driving in between with 3rd and 4th gear WOT pulls... My IAT1 actually stayed lower than my IAT2 the entire time driving by a good 10 degree margin. Something I never saw in my car before. On average I was getting 20-30 degrees lower in IAT1 compared to the SRI, that's huge. Not to mention, the difference of power I felt throughout the RPM band... This is the first time I actually feel a difference in power on the butt dyno from just an intake on any vehicle! :yes:However, I did feel low end torque took a slight drop which I expected from a CAI...but once I passed right around 3k in the RPMs, the car really woke up.:headbang:

Overall, the PRL Cobra made a big change & compliments the PRL Intercooler so well, I actually have a bittersweet feeling from it because I feel the Cobra Intake actually has more of a positive effect in regards to what it did to the IAT1 compared to what the Intercooler did with IAT2... but I'm sure that's because of the burst of pulls and braking I did. I was limited with the space I was given because of the traffic and city driving .

Install was a breeze and everything lined up just perfectly. Some of the stuff you guys wrote about this Intake you weren't kidding... The Cobra Intake exceeded my expectations from just an intake. @PRL Motorsports , you guys did a stellar job with this project. Thank you !

Before/After Pics :

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL SRI Conversion to Cobra CAI Performance/Review 20180214_174021

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL SRI Conversion to Cobra CAI Performance/Review 20180220_152030

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL SRI Conversion to Cobra CAI Performance/Review 20180220_152012

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's up everyone, for some time now I had the PRL SRI, didn't want to go with the Cobra CAI version at first because I wasn't sure how it would hold up with South Florida rain/showers. After doing further research and seeing everyone elses input on the CAI I decided to pull the trigger and purchase the conversion to turn my SRI to the CAI, besides I figure it would pair up nicely with the PRL Intercooler I already have installed...

I couldn't believe how drastic of a change my IAT1 went down after installing and driving !:eek: I drove for about 30 minutes with spirited driving in between with 3rd and 4th gear WOT pulls... My IAT1 actually stayed lower than my IAT2 the entire time driving by a good 10 degree margin. Something I never saw in my car before. On average I was getting 20-30 degrees lower in IAT1 compared to the SRI, that's huge. Not to mention, the difference of power I felt throughout the RPM band... This is the first time I actually feel a difference in power on the butt dyno from just an intake on any vehicle! :yes:However, I did feel low end torque took a slight drop which I expected from a CAI...but once I passed right around 3k in the RPMs, the car really woke up.:headbang:

Overall, the PRL Cobra made a big change & compliments the PRL Intercooler so well, I actually have a bittersweet feeling from it because I feel the Cobra Intake actually has more of a positive effect in regards to what it did to the IAT1 compared to what the Intercooler did with IAT2... but I'm sure that's because of the burst of pulls and braking I did. I was limited with the space I was given because of the traffic and city driving .

Install was a breeze and everything lined up just perfectly. Some of the stuff you guys wrote about this Intake you weren't kidding... The Cobra Intake exceeded my expectations from just an intake. @PRL Motorsports , you guys did a stellar job with this project. Thank you !
glad you went the CAI route, the differance in IATs are great compared to stock IATs

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
However, I did feel low end torque took a slight drop which I expected from a CAI...but once I passed right around 3k in the RPMs, the car really woke up.:headbang:
Okay I thought this was a me thing or it was just cause I don’t have a tune, but this is my first CAI and wasn’t sure if this was a normal occurrence that happens with them.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay I thought this was a me thing or it was just cause I don’t have a tune, but this is my first CAI and wasn’t sure if this was a normal occurrence that happens with them.
It usually does. atleast with my experience with them. I think the theoryh behind it is because with short rams the throttle response is quicker and the air goes in the intake manifold quicker. I know PRL claims the Cobra doesnt require a tune and provided data sheets showing fuel trims almost Identical compared to the stock setup

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@gylmar814 do you know if this will void the warranty?

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
If I’m not mistaken, it’ll only void warranty if the dealership can prove that an issue occurred due to the CAI. I’m not sure what they check out exactly, but I’ve brought in my car into my dealership a couple times already for an oil change and state instpection and they haven’t said a thing about mine.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It all depends on the dealer that sees it, what mood they're in that day, and if anything goes wrong with the powertrain down the road, they can prove the intake played a role in the damage or defect.

Technically there is no straight forward answer but if it helps, it's more yes than no when asking if it voids the warranty. You can also always reinstall the stock intake when taking it to the dealer for whatever reason

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@Legato @gylmar814 do you feel any difference on the top end of the power band (4k rpm and higher) ?

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Legato @gylmar814 do you feel any difference on the top end of the power band (4k rpm and higher) ?
Did you not read my review? Lol.

Yes, you you feel the rpms pull stronger once you pass 3k rpms
Sponsored