Venom93corba

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Hey everybody what's up? First time poster here so go easy, lol. My son gets his license in a couple weeks so we are out car shopping and of course he wants a Type R. Lol, what 16 year old wouldn't want a Type R? Well I'm contemplating on getting a 2017 black Civic Sport and adding a spoiler, HKS Legamax exhaust and some red racing stripes (oh, to be 16 again lol). I could use any help/suggestions you might be able to share to guide me through this process.

One of the questions I have is on the exhaust. When looking up HKS Legamax exhaust does the Type R and Sport share the same application? Also he commented on liking the red pin stripping on the Type R. Has anybody added it to there Sport?

Guys I'd appreciate any advise you can give me on ricing this thing up. Thanks.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey everybody what's up? First time poster here so go easy, lol. My son gets his license in a couple weeks so we are out car shopping and of course he wants a Type R. Lol, what 16 year old wouldn't want a Type R? Well I'm contemplating on getting a 2017 black Civic Sport and adding a spoiler, HKS Legamax exhaust and some red racing stripes (oh, to be 16 again lol). I could use any help/suggestions you might be able to share to guide me through this process.

One of the questions I have is on the exhaust. When looking up HKS Legamax exhaust does the Type R and Sport share the same application? Also he commented on liking the red pin stripping on the Type R. Has anybody added it to there Sport?

Guys I'd appreciate any advise you can give me on ricing this thing up. Thanks.
I think a 16 year old should be happy with getting a brand new car.

OP
OP

Venom93corba

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it were up to me he'd be getting a $5k beater like I had but my wife has a tendency to cave. And to be honest, I've been waiting to take on a car project with my son ever since he was born.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Might be several people on here ready to give you a hard time about replicating a Type R so just ignore them. I know what u mean about building a car with your son, I just parted out my car so I can start a race car build with my son. Only advice I have is go with the ABSDynamics type r spoiler. It's supposed to be the closest in dimensions and I think it's only $180 and I've seen pics of it on the sports. Look great.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Good news there's plenty of type r parts available. The front bumper is different than the r so you may have to dig a little for that lip spoiler. Also check the classified section here. I've seen quite a few oem R parts like exhaust, wing etc. Ebay has R style wheels with your bolt pattern 5x114.3. Sounds like a fun project.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First thing, you may attract unfavourable comments the way you angled your thread. The people that feel because they have a FK8, you have no right to do anything remotely “R like” to your sons FK7. Ignore them. I have done dirt bikes, race bikes and two cars with my now 17 year old, best times spent.....

His Civic is a Ralleye Red ST Hatch. I always put the red badges on our Honda’s and did the centre caps as well on this one because they look nice with the paint. We looked around at wings and ended up favouring the R look with a duckbill as our second choice, mainly because I am partial to OEM. After getting literally floored by the OEM price for the wing, we got lucky and found a wrecked FK8 in the same colour and bought the entire hatch with the wing on it. Easy remove and reinstall, perfect swap other than needing the FK8 stays. This also keeps future options open as we have a complete original hatch with no holes in it.

Other mods so far: PRL cold air intake, Hondata (not recommended until you are confident your son is responsible enough), Eibach pro kit (teach him how to drive a lowered car before cutting him loose !), Invidia Gemini exhaust, Weather Tech mats (Canada winters) and a ceramic coating. OEM list: door guards, illumination kit, clear bumper guard (hockey bag) and a trunk tray.

On order are Downforce Solutions V2 skirts, rounded diffuser and front splitter. Next spring are rims and tires once the original hoops are worn. They are terrible btw, will use the original rims for winter rubber. He’s actually selling the hatch now regrettably to fund future wheels and tires.

Old man tip that’s worked for me. Everything he gets, he pays for half. From dirt bikes to cars to mods, nothing until he has earned enough to pay his share. Really teaches him to respect and cherish his stuff and to bust his ass to get jobs.

Best of luck

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
HKS sells separate exhaust for the type r and the sport/sport touring. They are not compatible. The sport one is cheaper...no 16 yr old should have a type r. I had an 80k mile Nissan Sentra at 16. Many friends had no car.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buy one with Honda Sensing for insurance and safety considerations. That means a 2016 Touring sedan ($16k - $17k) or 2019 Sport hatch ($21k). Or a 2017 Touring hatch at $23k. Good luck.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buy one with Honda Sensing for insurance and safety considerations. That means a 2016 Touring sedan ($16k - $17k) or 2019 Sport hatch ($21k). Or a 2017 Touring hatch at $23k. Good luck.
The safety suite is why I went with the sport touring over a Si

OP
OP

Venom93corba

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
HKS sells separate exhaust for the type r and the sport/sport touring. They are not compatible. The sport one is cheaper...no 16 yr old should have a type r. I had an 80k mile Nissan Sentra at 16. Many friends had no car.
Thx Blue hatch that's what I needed to know. Looks like we've narrowed it down to a 2017 blue sport touring model. Looks bad ass!

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So jealous :bow: Your son must adore you. My first car was a Mercury Monarch with no brakes. Yikes.

OP
OP

Venom93corba

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First thing, you may attract unfavourable comments the way you angled your thread. The people that feel because they have a FK8, you have no right to do anything remotely “R like” to your sons FK7. Ignore them. I have done dirt bikes, race bikes and two cars with my now 17 year old, best times spent.....

His Civic is a Ralleye Red ST Hatch. I always put the red badges on our Honda’s and did the centre caps as well on this one because they look nice with the paint. We looked around at wings and ended up favouring the R look with a duckbill as our second choice, mainly because I am partial to OEM. After getting literally floored by the OEM price for the wing, we got lucky and found a wrecked FK8 in the same colour and bought the entire hatch with the wing on it. Easy remove and reinstall, perfect swap other than needing the FK8 stays. This also keeps future options open as we have a complete original hatch with no holes in it.

Other mods so far: PRL cold air intake, Hondata (not recommended until you are confident your son is responsible enough), Eibach pro kit (teach him how to drive a lowered car before cutting him loose !), Invidia Gemini exhaust, Weather Tech mats (Canada winters) and a ceramic coating. OEM list: door guards, illumination kit, clear bumper guard (hockey bag) and a trunk tray.

On order are Downforce Solutions V2 skirts, rounded diffuser and front splitter. Next spring are rims and tires once the original hoops are worn. They are terrible btw, will use the original rims for winter rubber. He’s actually selling the hatch now regrettably to fund future wheels and tires.

Old man tip that’s worked for me. Everything he gets, he pays for half. From dirt bikes to cars to mods, nothing until he has earned enough to pay his share. Really teaches him to respect and cherish his stuff and to bust his ass to get jobs.

Best of luck
Thanks Rayzorman, all great advice. Yeah he doesn't have a job yet but he excited to work on the car with me. This should be fun
Sponsored