Mechanical to Digital Cluster Swap?

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Anyone has any info on the interchangeability between the LX mechanical tachometer cluster and the EX and up digital tachometer cluster? I found back pictures of the two. The connector seems to be identical.

Thanks,
Sponsored

wristbrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic (LX)
We're not angry, we're just giving you an objective rundown on the costs and scale of the project you're undertaking. As much as I sounded condescending, what I said was totally valid and logically sound. Projects like these will never be done, because guys like you and OP are banking on the premise that it's proven and done before when in reality, you and most people don't have the 'balls' to do it first. No early adopters? No product.
It may not be the most cost effective way, and to you guys with the tourings, you don't have to think about it. but it is pretty much the only way. suggesting to someone "you might as well buy a new car" when buying a new car would cost loads of money, in addition to the added loan costs because your car value has depreciated 5,000 off the original loan amount because it is after all a NEW car; isn't being realistic. and anyone willing to do that themselves would have had the money in the first place and done what you suggested without asking for information on the subject. Also, anytime someone with an LX tries to add something that comes

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I'll give you an example, let's say you're yanking out the dashboard and you accidentally break off a clip due to you being unfamiliar with the parts. You think nothing of it, and while driving a week later, that clip that doesn't exist now causes the entire dashboard to rattle insufferably while driving at speed. That rattle is a deal breaker so you go buy the replacement. Now you realize that the dashboard garnish includes the whole vent. You don't want to break it again, so you go to a dealer where there's technical expertise, recourse and liability and they charge you $100/hour to reassemble it. That's the risk that you have to attribute value to. Looking at the diagram closer, chances are the headunit portion has to be removed, and the removal of the headunit requires the disassembly of the HVAC controls. The padded dashboard needs to be yanked and god knows if the clearances, gaps and finish will be the same when you put it back together.

t Honda Civic 10th gen Mechanical to Digital Cluster Swap? Capture.JPG

What if access to the gauge cluster requires removal of the steering column and steering wheel? Do you trust yourself to remove the airbag and to reassemble the steering wheel later to make sure it's perfectly straight compared to the physical direction of the wheels?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Getting back on track, did you realize that all Civics with the virtual gauge cluster come with the Display Audio, and ribbed volume slider on the steering wheel? So make sure you get those too. Oh also, your single zone HVAC module may not be compatible with the Display Audio so maybe budget for this? The climate runs off the screen for the Display Audio. Honda Civic 10th gen Mechanical to Digital Cluster Swap? Capture.JPG
Before you know it, you've spent so much money on parts and you don't know how to install them and you come to a realization that maybe you shouldn't have bothered and rolling 3k negative equity into an even higher loan for a higher trim was a financially better idea.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Honda Civic 10th gen Mechanical to Digital Cluster Swap? Capture.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen Mechanical to Digital Cluster Swap? Capture02.JPG

You tell me if that looks like a simple yank.

In8x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm all for customizing and performance upgrades.

But in my opinion, especially when it comes to new vehicles, there is a HUGE difference between mods and trying to make something it's not.

I wanted the 1.5t so I bought an EX-T. I didn't buy an LX and try to drop a 1.5 in it. There is a difference .

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
$175 car-parts.com . hope it works, i'd like to upgrade also, maybe. let us know.
Are you factoring that the Digital Instrument cluster may require the Display Audio system to work? Also, you'll need the more comprehensive audio controls with the ribbed volume slider and information button to toggle through the menus.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I also detect a "I paid more money for extra features so you should have to pay that money too, if you want the same features." vibe coming from your posts. I find it disgusting, to be honest.
Why shouldn't you? There's no free lunch. But you're gonna pay. You're gonna pay when you rip apart your entire dashboard, find out that the instrument cluster may not work, or work 100% because you don't have Display Audio or the separate steering wheel controls. That risk is your cost. Like I said, you're only attributing cost to the absolute dollar spent and the parts only. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Are you factoring that the Digital Instrument cluster may require the Display Audio system to work? Also, you'll need the more comprehensive audio controls with the ribbed volume slider and information button to toggle through the menus.
i'm not factoring diddly, i told the dude where to find how much and let us know if it works.

wristbrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic (LX)
If you people aren't going to read the posts then what is the point in participating in the forums. Holy Hell, use your brains before you get set in an argument that only you want to take part in. As I've stated above and on my other thread, I've done this exact swap on a similar car. It was easy. It worked fine. Simple swap. I'm going off actual EXPERIENCE. What more do you have to add, and what do you gain from throwing in unnecessary dilemmas; I'll leave you to answer for yourself. I'll do the swap at the end of the month and update when I do. Research is your friend and I've found the part in multiple places for under $100. I suggest some of you do some research on your own also, since it matters so much to you that you would facilitate a 2 page argument.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Post a DIY. Not being sarcastic or anything but I'd be genuinely curious to see how it'll turn out.

Out of curiosity, did the Chrysler 200 have the 8.4, 5.0 or 3.0 Uconnect?

Last edited:

wristbrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic (LX)
Post a DIY. Not being sarcastic or anything but I'd be genuinely curious to see how it'll turn out.

Out of curiosity, did the Chrysler 200 have the 8.4, 5.0 or 3.0 Uconnect?
It had the 5.0 system, I also upgraded that later on to the 8.4. If only Honda would make a radio as good the 8.4.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So based on the picture of the actual dash, it actually includes the top half of the steering column! So good luck with that. Also, there's clips underneath the vents that look like the place where the touch screen bolts on, on top of it so...

Honda Civic 10th gen Mechanical to Digital Cluster Swap? DSC04012.JPG

wristbrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic (LX)
So based on the picture of the actual dash, it actually includes the top half of the steering column! So good luck with that. Also, there's clips underneath the vents that look like the place where the touch screen bolts on, on top of it so...

DSC04012.JPG
That is almost exactly how it was with my chrysler. The steps were simple:
I Took out the radio + Took the trim around it off + unclipped the trim from the radio all the way over to the left vent + unscrewed the steering column cover = instrument cluster access + unscrew the couple screws holding in place + take it out + plug new one in + repeat all of the above = finished.

took me Less than 45 minutes following this tutorial
Sponsored

Last edited: