Hondata Flashpro Tuning for the FK8 Type R!!

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Ah ok. I know what you mean now.
So if we are able to push another 50 to 100 hp out of this car what do you guys think it'll do to the reliability? Do you guys think the engine/transmission etc can handle it? Or would a lot of parts need to be changed out with the tune?

I seriously doubt 50-100 horsepower would be a problem for this car. All of the internals were built very strong for this car.

I think torque will be the killer. Iā€™m betting once weā€™re up around 400wtq the clutch will be the weak link, but thatā€™s an easy fix with a stage+ clutch.

Iā€™m not worried about pistons, rods, bearings, valves, etc at all.
Sponsored

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I seriously doubt 50-100 horsepower would be a problem for this car. All of the internals were built very strong for this car.

I think torque will be the killer. Iā€™m betting once weā€™re up around 400wtq the clutch will be the weak link, but thatā€™s an easy fix with a stage+ clutch.

Iā€™m not worried about pistons, rods, bearings, valves, etc at all.
That sounds good. Would it be safe to assume the torque would probably surpass the horsepower? The reason I ask this is because almost every video I've watched (I'm using the Si as an example) of someone using a flashpro to tune their car they seem to bump their torque up over their horsepower. I don't know why this is. So if we are say bumping our Type R's to around 400hp would the torque probably jump to 400 or more?

Correct me if I am wrong. This it just what I have noticed.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Thank you for the link. So it just appears the method used to measure the hp is the main reason for the slightly different numbers. I do remember Europeans always saying brake horsepower instead of just horsepower.
We use brake hp in the US, as well. Itā€™s just that SAE net measurement comes out smaller.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
That sounds good. Would it be safe to assume the torque would probably surpass the horsepower? The reason I ask this is because almost every video I've watched (I'm using the Si as an example) of someone using a flashpro to tune their car they seem to bump their torque up over their horsepower. I don't know why this is. So if we are say bumping our Type R's to around 400hp would the torque probably jump to 400 or more?

That depends mostly on the flow characteristics of the turbocharger.

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag

With the stock turbo, it is very likely that torque will be higher than horsepower.

We have to wait and see, but the stock turbo is going to be limited on the top end where all the horsepower is made. What wonā€™t be limited is how hard the boost comes on in the low end which is where most of the torque is made.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see 400wtq and 360(ish)whp. The stock turbo on the top end WILL be the limiting factor, we just donā€™t know how much yet.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see 400wtq and 360(ish)whp. The stock turbo on the top end WILL be the limiting factor, we just donā€™t know how much yet.
Are you talking about just tune alone or with supporting mods like CAI/DP&FP/exhaust?

I donā€™t want to replace my stock clutch so early if the numbers are over 400whp/400wtq......

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you talking about just tune alone or with supporting mods like CAI/DP&FP/exhaust?

I donā€™t want to replace my stock clutch so early if the numbers are over 400whp/400wtq......
Why would you not want to replace the clutch? Are you thinking the stock one could handle the power for a while before needing to be replaced?

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag

It *might* be possible to hit those numbers with only a tune, but doubtful.

The good thing with the tune is that you can tailor it to your liking. Just because it can give you an extra 100whp/wtq doesnā€™t mean youā€™re required to pull all that power in your tune. You can have different maps from mild to wild.

But yes Iā€™m betting to hit 400whp/wtq we will need supporting mods and the tune. If you want 450+ I feel confident saying youā€™d need to run e85 or a blend, and/or have wheel upgrades on the stock turbo.

With all that said, these are just educated guesses so take it with a grain of salt.