Civic Type R (FK8) Traction Control - Hondata FlashPro

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
With all factory assists enabled (VSA, TCS, etc) and in Sport Mode, will Hondata Traction Control kick in before the factory VSA? In other words, if I'm just putting around and decide to floor it in 2nd, will the throttle plate be closing, or will Hondata Traction intervene first and start retarding the ignition?

@Lust, are you saying a good driver will disable all traction rather than have Hondata Traction enabled? The Hondata promotional Traction Control video seems to make the car quite fast. That driver also seems to be an alien driver though lol.

Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
With all factory assists enabled (VSA, TCS, etc) and in Sport Mode, will Hondata Traction Control kick in before the factory VSA? In other words, if I'm just putting around and decide to floor it in 2nd, will the throttle plate be closing, or will Hondata Traction intervene first and start retarding the ignition?

@Lust, are you saying a good driver will disable all traction rather than have Hondata Traction enabled? The Hondata promotional Traction Control video seems to make the car quite fast. That driver also seems to be an alien driver though lol.

The driver in the video is stig_jdm and he actually fully disabled traction control when he competed at GTA.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The driver in the video is stig_jdm and he actually fully disabled traction control when he competed at GTA.
Oh interesting. Definitely paints a different picture in the video lol. So his best ever lap time wasn't with Hondata TC enabled?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Oh interesting. Definitely paints a different picture in the video lol. So his best ever lap time wasn't with Hondata TC enabled?
From what I know yes.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Wasn't he running coilovers too with an error canceler, I remember a video where the tc icon was just flashing the entire time. He wouldn't need TC on a track with that set up either way. On the street with only average tires it's useful. Why would anyone need to use TC for drag, there's literally glue on the road

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Wasn't he running coilovers too with an error canceler, I remember a video where the tc icon was just flashing the entire time. He wouldn't need TC on a track with that set up either way. On the street with only average tires it's useful. Why would anyone need to use TC for drag, there's literally glue on the road
For high speed track, I think Hondata TC may potentially slow down a competent driver. If TC is constantly kicking in, you're probably not paying attention to what the tires are telling you.

For us 'normal' drivers who aren't as closely tuned with the tires, Hondata TC will probably make us faster. I can see it being more beneficial for autox and very small circuits.

That's why I asked if Hondata TC kicks in before the factory VSC system does in Sport Mode. This would be nice to have on public roads where the roads can be more unpredictable.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
For high speed track, I think Hondata TC may potentially slow down a competent driver. If TC is constantly kicking in, you're probably not paying attention to what the tires are telling you.

For us 'normal' drivers who aren't as closely tuned with the tires, Hondata TC will probably make us faster. I can see it being more beneficial for autox and very small circuits.

That's why I asked if Hondata TC kicks in before the factory VSC system does in Sport Mode. This would be nice to have on public roads where the roads can be more unpredictable.
Correct. You can be faster without TC but it requires a good setup and even better driver. TC basically would allow you to pin the throttle and the computer determines the power you get in that given moment. The computer doesn’t always know what’s better and can be a bit inconsistent.

A good driver would be able to put the power down without spinning the wheels or spinning the car. Though this is more difficult especially as power increases.

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry if this was already answered but...
I am about to do a stock Reflash with the 93 improved throttle response.
I noticed I have options for Traction Control. Theres an option for Letting the tire spin or let the engine bog. Which one should I choose? I don't do circuit tracks but I am planning on doing drag. So i guess which one is the best option for power from a dig?

Thanks

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry if this was already answered but...
I am about to do a stock Reflash with the 93 improved throttle response.
I noticed I have options for Traction Control. Theres an option for Letting the tire spin or let the engine bog. Which one should I choose? I don't do circuit tracks but I am planning on doing drag. So i guess which one is the best option for power from a dig?

Thanks
Don't go with the bog...you'll bog down at the drag strip when you launch lol. Or just tried them both I guess and see what works for you. I never use the bog option

Sayanythng

First Name
Trevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 2020
Country flag
My car is faster with HonData TC on when using reduced torque curves for 1st and 2nd. When I have full power it oscillates wildly around target slip. I got 4.74 s 0-60 using back wheel speed from a data log. Not sure of the error with this method, but was about a 0.5s improvement over no TC.

Might be able to get better with some slight tweaking and warmer weather. Could use slightly more torque in 2nd. Only seeing 3% slip. A little less in first might still be needed.
I just tested this myself brilliant. Any further discoveries? good work.

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just did the 93 reflash with the TC. Wow barely any wheel spin...but obviously lack of torque. Im going to keep messing around with it but impressive.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The Hondata traction control ignition retard intervenes multiple times per second, far faster than any normal or trained race car driver. It kicks in before the factory VSC. And it is fine tunable.

Stig_jdm, who is a very experienced and fast driver knocked off about 2 seconds off his best ever time the first time he used Honda Traction Control.

During qualifying for the 25 hours of Thunderhill with 2 Honda Civic Type Rs I asked Tomo, Honda's fastest driver how the traction control was working. He replied "is it enabled on my Civic?" So I double checked the race datalog and confirmed that the traction control was indeed working. In fact it was working so well, and was working so smoothly that he was unaware of it. Which, is exactly how it should be. He was free to concentrate on his driving and set the best ever lap time for the Civic, 4 seconds faster than the previous year with no traction control.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The Hondata traction control ignition retard intervenes multiple times per second, far faster than any normal or trained race car driver. It kicks in before the factory VSC. And it is fine tunable.

Stig_jdm, who is a very experienced and fast driver knocked off about 2 seconds off his best ever time the first time he used Honda Traction Control.

During qualifying for the 25 hours of Thunderhill with 2 Honda Civic Type Rs I asked Tomo, Honda's fastest driver how the traction control was working. He replied "is it enabled on my Civic?" So I double checked the race datalog and confirmed that the traction control was indeed working. In fact it was working so well, and was working so smoothly that he was unaware of it. Which, is exactly how it should be. He was free to concentrate on his driving and set the best ever lap time for the Civic, 4 seconds faster than the previous year with no traction control.
I guess this was not with the default settings right?

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
One minor change. Target wheel slip raised from 3% to 6%. Race tires were being used.
Good to know thanks. Traction Control Management was the reason I switch from the competidor to flashpro.
Sponsored