First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon Civic owner?
Country flag
Hello all.

I've seen one or two people here post about installing new front sway bars. I understand that it requires a lot more work than the rear sway bar. I would like to know if anyone could describe the steps to removing the subframe/steering rack/whatever else needed to replace it, or if there is a guide somewhere.

Thanks!
Sponsored

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hello all.

I've seen one or two people here post about installing new front sway bars. I understand that it requires a lot more work than the rear sway bar. I would like to know if anyone could describe the steps to removing the subframe/steering rack/whatever else needed to replace it, or if there is a guide somewhere.

Thanks!
As you've probably already read on the "whiteline sway bar install" thread, you have to drop you subframe and steering rack, but they didn't explain how. I'm not going to pretend I know how either, but hopefully this diagram of the front subframe may help you with a place to start. Only looks like 3 big bolts to get it off the car:
bolts #6 (x2), and #4
Honda Civic 10th gen Front Sway Bar Install Instructions? 3299515

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Here is the steering rack/column, depending on what bolts you remove, it seems you may be able to move it out of the way. Looks like you could take out bolts #6 (x2) and #3

3299464.png
All you need to unbolt in the steering column is bolt #3. That disconnects it from the steering rack which is coming down with the subframe. There’s a plastic indexer that stays on the steering rack, don’t remove that; it keeps track of how the column is indexed to the rack. And don’t turn the steering wheel after you disconnect it from the rack.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
As you've probably already read on the "whiteline sway bar install" thread, you have to drop you subframe and steering rack, but they didn't explain how. I'm not going to pretend I know how either, but hopefully this diagram of the front subframe may help you with a place to start. Only looks like 3 big bolts to get it off the car:
bolts #6 (x2), and #4
3299515.png
There are actually 4x #6, and 2x #4. There are also 4 more bolts towards the rear of the subframe that need to be removed that hold 2 brackets that connect the subframe to the body.

2 more bolts on the lower torque mount, and unbolt and unhook the exhaust pipe that passes under the engine.

OP
OP

Naga

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon Civic owner?
Country flag
Thanks for all the info, everyone! Are there torque specs for these bolts?
Sponsored