Clone ecu from hondata

Anamesis

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 fk8
If one were to go the hondata clone ecu route, what info is typically logged by the ECU? I’m asking if the dealership will be able to tell ? My dealership will effectively use any excuse to void the warranty.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If one were to go the hondata clone ecu route, what info is typically logged by the ECU? I’m asking if the dealership will be able to tell ? My dealership will effectively use any excuse to void the warranty.
Stop going to your dealership for car work

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
I heard ECU has a online time tracker. Mechanics can plug into the ecu and see how long it's been running. Would look suspicious if the ECU has a short online runtime when the car is brought in for warranty work.

OP
OP

Anamesis

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 fk8
Well, I would stop going to the dealership if there were any other options for warranty, there aren't. My biggest concern is flashing the car, and then it being used as a reason to not fix the transmission/etc. If it has a time tracker, then I would guess it makes no sense to go the cloned ecu route. Thanks for the replies people.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Stop going to your dealership for car work
For Warranty work, you may have to get that done by a Dealer, or at least a Honda Certified Shop, but I don't believe you are locked into the dealership you purchased the vehicle from.

You WARRANTY is with HONDA, not the Dealership you purchased the car from.

Not sure about MAINTANANCE agreements .. but IMHO they are a Con... you are paying up front for work to be done in the future, and still at a (reduced ? ) vastly inflated price.

Just like when you purchased your car at the dealer, BEFORE you signed, YOU were in Control.
As far as Warranty work, you are back in Control.
You can pick & choose any dealer you want .. they will all be HUNGRY for your Warranty work .. they make good money on Warranty work !

So shop around BEFORE you need work done.
Don't wait till you have a problem, and then be rushed into allowing the 1st Dealer you take your car to, to do the work.

You can actually have some fun, "INTERVIEWING" and "Selecting" your preferred Warranty Dealer.
Its BEFORE you NEED them, that you are in the best position to find one that you are comfortable with.

If you can have something MINOR wrong, that can wait to be attended to, then go around and test some of your local dealers. See what they are offering, and how well they treat you.
If any Dealer tell you there will be a charge for them to determine if the work is covered under warranty, don't even waste any more time with them, just WALK AWAY.

Lastly, always get a written Estimate, and read it carefully, before signing or agreeing to ANYTHING !!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
EASY: Time to find a different Dealership for your Warranty work :doh:

OP
OP

Anamesis

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 fk8
The problem is that where I live, the next closest dealer would be a minimum 3 hour drive. It doesn’t leave a lot of options.
Sponsored