Fk8tjt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda type r 2018
Country flag
I daily drive my car with stock wheels and all season to res.

Here is what I found:

Ktuner stage 1 with low end torque reduced map is good. Ktuner stage 0 also good. On cooler days you will trip traction control in sport mode at full throttle in 1st and usually 2nd. R mode is a little more accommodating.

Customized boost by gear maps will be best for your particular car, but obviously you either need to know how to change torque targets (not super hard) or have a reputable tuner do it for you.
do you know any good videos or websites to learn how setting up boost by gear and maybe even other tuning stuff as well?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Estoril4

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
How can adding dp without tune be dangerous?
Put very basically without going too deep as I am not a tuner, when you begin to add aftermarket parts such as an intake/DP combo that alter the airflow dynamics of your engine you begin to alter your back pressure, air/fuel ratio, etc. from stock. Each ECU has a 'stock' data table of responses to engine conditions generated from the stock parts when designed. Obviously each platform is a little different but generally ECU's can and will adapt to changing conditions however this now means that the neat stock table it used to rely on now has to be recalculated on the fly depending upon the new conditions. This can lead to a "catch up" effect in which the ecu is always trying to compensate fuel/boost/etc, for example, a potential lean condition introduced by a DP's increased exhaust gas volume out thus turning the turbo faster and putting more air into the engine thus needing more fuel etc.

Different platforms can tolerate different conditions but I know some subaru owners who are familiar with this and would say a part without a tune to adjust fuel trims is no bueno. Others say from the BMW world might say they can do it for 50k+ miles. I dont have enough experience with this platform to say one way or another at this point as the ecu may be able to manage just fine with an intake/DP alone, if anyone has done this for a while definitely leave some feedback

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
How much faster does a stage 1 tune feel compared to stock?
Definitely a decent amount of more pull in 3rd, 4th and beyond.

1st doesn't really matter as more torque will just overwhelm the tires and you'll spin at WOT

2nd pulls harder but you'll certainly spin at WOT so you gotta modulate the throttle (unless you adjust the torque tables by gear settings)

3rd, 4th + pulls harder especially at higher speeds and here you can really use that power.

Stage 1 tune definitely worth the $ IMO. Custom tune even better (see my signature).

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
I have KTuner stage one running an AFE intake. I’ve had that car literally a month. I just sold my 700hp 2013 Camaro zl1. Some people think I’m crazy but I’ve had a spot for any type r’s over the years also because having built a 10 second hatch in 2003 I’ve never forgotten that. The k tuner has more power than Hondata. The power is perfectly smooth but I wish boost came on faster. This is a draw back to full electronic wastegate. Even at high rpm there’s s fair delay. The advantage is though eliminating boost spike completely. Now as far as power and drive ability. You will need to learn throttle control it’s FWD. My Camaro w supercharger was way harder to control. I say learn to drive better forget having the car do it all. Cold weather 1st 2nd are going to spin. 3rd there might be some traction break occasionally. I’m waiting to see how a downpipe will help w lag and also once I’ve done full bolt ons to tune the car myself to see what can actually be done. I tuned my zl1 and hptuners is Way more in depth than KTuner is at the moment.

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
I have KTuner stage one running an AFE intake. I’ve had that car literally a month. I just sold my 700hp 2013 Camaro zl1. Some people think I’m crazy but I’ve had a spot for any type r’s over the years also because having built a 10 second hatch in 2003 I’ve never forgotten that. The k tuner has more power than Hondata. The power is perfectly smooth but I wish boost came on faster. This is a draw back to full electronic wastegate. Even at high rpm there’s s fair delay. The advantage is though eliminating boost spike completely. Now as far as power and drive ability. You will need to learn throttle control it’s FWD. My Camaro w supercharger was way harder to control. I say learn to drive better forget having the car do it all. Cold weather 1st 2nd are going to spin. 3rd there might be some traction break occasionally. I’m waiting to see how a downpipe will help w lag and also once I’ve done full bolt ons to tune the car myself to see what can actually be done. I tuned my zl1 and hptuners is Way more in depth than KTuner is at the moment.
Just curious. Do you have anything to back that up? ..."ktuner has more power than hondata"

Please point me towards that info so I can check it out. Thanks.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just curious. Do you have anything to back that up? ..."ktuner has more power than hondata"

Please point me towards that info so I can check it out. Thanks.
Well my ktuner vit made more power than hondata vit tune back on the hatch. Not sure of Type R

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I'm glad I found this thread. Every single gas station in my area has 93 octane and that's all I use. I've now been toying with getting Hondata and a 93 map just for fun because I'm hoping it will add more highway pull in 3rd and 4th on the roll.

OP
OP
Estoril4

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
I'm glad I found this thread. Every single gas station in my area has 93 octane and that's all I use. I've now been toying with getting Hondata and a 93 map just for fun because I'm hoping it will add more highway pull in 3rd and 4th on the roll.
It will definitely add more pull at speed, should be a pretty crazy power/weight. I'm curious if hondatas new traction control release removes any drivability concerns and if theres any downsides to running something like that long term

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Relating to drivability with a tune.

People with the baseline tune and stock cars (intake catback etc accepted) do you see your MPG change much? I appreciate my high MPG as a daily but would love to jump over to Hondata for their tune and TCS flash

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag

Please point me towards that info so I can check it out. Thanks.[/QUOTFir starter hondata has already staked claim to exactly 47 flywheel hp and ktuner 50 wheel hp. Many dyno runs verify ktuner actually increases even more than 50 whp Just look it up and I verified it with the ctr tuner from vivid racing. https://jst-performance.com/blogs/j...da-civic-type-r-dyno-results-custom-dyno-tune
Read here the ots ktuner map added 55whp.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/flashpro-for-ctr-tuning-results.22471/
Here posts from hi data w only 33 whp gain and I verified this w a local tuner the k tuner has more power

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Relating to drivability with a tune.

People with the baseline tune and stock cars (intake catback etc accepted) do you see your MPG change much? I appreciate my high MPG as a daily but would love to jump over to Hondata for their tune and TCS flash
This is a common farce with almost every tune on the planet. Any time you increase air flow you create fuel demand. Combustion at any mixture has a certain thermal efficiency. Unless your running too rich you won’t see a fuel economy increase. At least nothing like people claim. All emissions tuned run lean at the highest efficiency. Our aftermarket Tunes are designed to run at highest power. The only way to increase mpg on vehicles is shift earlier. There is only one rare occasion when the factory tune is tuned so poorly that the ignition timing is too far retarded. Then and really only then will you see an increase.
Sponsored