Kaze2313

First Name
SĂ©b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback touring
Country flag
Hi! I have a 19 civic hatchback touring. I'm fighting with my dealer because of this issue. My headlight have a blurry cloud inside ,when they're ON. I also have 200 chips on each healight. My car is like that since i bought it in july and now i'm at 8000 km. The dealer told me it's some rock chips . I'm a bodyman , i know it's not rock chips , you can't feel them by hand. I looked at some brand new car in the showroom and all the led model had the blurry cloud and every model had chips in the headlight. Some had 5-10 chips and my headlight have 200 chips. They say it's normal. Can i see picture of your oem led headlight on? Do they all look like crap like mine, even the type r headlight? Sorry my english is not perfect

Honda Civic 10th gen Chips and fog inside  the oem led headlight 20200106_063224

Honda Civic 10th gen Chips and fog inside  the oem led headlight 20200106_063222

Honda Civic 10th gen Chips and fog inside  the oem led headlight 20200106_063212

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Looks like you hit a bunch a sand or small pebbles at high speed. You follow dump trucks a lot?

OP
OP
Kaze2313

Kaze2313

First Name
SĂ©b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's looks like rock chips but it's not. . My car was new with them already like that. I looked at the fit , the hatchback and the accord in the showroom and i was able to find some on every headlight but not that much like mine have. The dealer couldn't or wouldn't show me a 2020 touring to compare. They try to trick me with a used 11 000 km model. I have 8000 km , there's no way you could have that much rock chips and only like 3 or 4 on the bumper and upper grill

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I had a 2018 Sport Touring but had to replace it with a 2019 Sport Touring after a guy ran a red light and totaled the 2018. Both have/had the cloudy look to them with the headlights on, however I put paint protection film on both so I'm not positive that the effect isn't from the film, but I think they had the same look before putting on the film. I haven't noticed the "chips" but haven't looked that closely with the lights on. I can't check now because it's raining, I'll check them tomorrow.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On mine a see a couple of spots on the inside (can tell it's on the inside by looking at an angle and can see that it's deeper than spots on the surface). I wouldn't call any that I see "chips" they are pretty small ,about the size of sand grains. They look tiny bubbles. I only see a few on each side.

OP
OP
Kaze2313

Kaze2313

First Name
SĂ©b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes exactly! I think they're bubbles too . Are they bad like mine?

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes exactly! I think they're bubbles too . Are they bad like mine?
I took some pics, I did a very quick cleaning first. On closer inspection some of what the pics show is lint from the mf towel, and some is dirt and bug debris that didn't come off with the quick cleaning. Most of the rest looks like it is between the paint protection film and lens and I suspect a lot of that is dust and lint that got trapped. I could only see less than 6 on each side that are clearly deeper than the surface.

Honda Civic 10th gen Chips and fog inside  the oem led headlight 20200207_194706
Honda Civic 10th gen Chips and fog inside  the oem led headlight 20200207_194635
Honda Civic 10th gen Chips and fog inside  the oem led headlight 20200207_194959

I like the last picture, kinda looks like the Milky Way :)

OP
OP
Kaze2313

Kaze2313

First Name
SĂ©b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes there's a whole universe in them loll.Thank you for the picture. Is it bothering you? I don't like them at night , i can see it from far away. I think they all look blurry with bubbles. i think the number of bubbles may not be the same on all headlight. I'm not sure i want to fight to have them change by the dealer just to reduce the number of bubbles.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes there's a whole universe in them loll.Thank you for the picture. Is it bothering you? I don't like them at night , i can see it from far away. I think they all look blurry with bubbles. i think the number of bubbles may not be the same on all headlight. I'm not sure i want to fight to have them change by the dealer just to reduce the number of bubbles.
It bothered me a little at first. In the beginning I thought I didn’t do a great job on them when I cleaned the car. After I figured out it wasn’t my fault it bothered me a lot less

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
If it came like that, then that is a quality defect from the factory that moulded the plastic.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think the haze is a defect, it's either caused by the lens material or a coating they put on it. The defects are very small, the size of a grain of sand or smaller. Both only show up when the headlights are on, the lens is clear otherwise. The intensity of the LED's will magnify any defect (or lint, dust, dirt, pollen). The OP said he looked at several new ones at the dealer and they all had a few so it might not be possible to get one without any. Even if you could get one without any defects you would still see the same spots unless you kept your car in a clean room, a couple hours just sitting outside enough dust would settle on it that it would look the same. In my pictures that I posted, in the third one the 2 biggest spots you can see, the one near the top and the one around the middle are pretty small fibers from a microfiber towel that got trapped between the lens and paint protection film I put on it.

OP
OP
Kaze2313

Kaze2313

First Name
SĂ©b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the same as you about the haze and it may not be possible to have perfect light. I don't have a protective film on my headlight, all the defect you see are really from the light .In my opinion , the look of the light is bad for a high trim model. Here in canada they cost 2000$ each. There's no way i would pay that price and have to live with the look. I will write to honda canada about it. but i don't expect them to do anything. I hope i'm not the only one unsatisfied by the look. I don't know if the fk8 headlight fit on the fk7 or if the fk8 look better but i would like to know.

OP
OP
Kaze2313

Kaze2313

First Name
SĂ©b
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here are some pics from some headlights I bought from someone who said they were on his car for less than 800 miles.

D1444B21-8341-42C2-BACA-F849AF5955A4.jpeg

AF542EDB-9431-4C98-A05D-F00797A6FA6F.jpeg

8E191446-C0CF-4843-94FF-F8FA18336F8A.jpeg

E937450A-00BE-425D-8B6D-B298B38E6C95.jpeg
You will only see how bad they are at night when they're ON.
Sponsored